• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Next Stern Pin... Fighting Soon!

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Stopped by P1 on Friday to try out the new games, and I really like the layout on FF. Only real complaint so far is that the shots that go around that turnaround on the right seem to go way out of control, but that seems like it's just a matter of dialing in the incline on the game. Has anyone played both the pro and prem/LE? After playing the pro, I'm starting to wonder if that's the way to go with this title. It looks like anything that goes to the right ramp on the premium will go via the upper PF, but also wondering how much that will add to the game, and whether it'll kill the game flow. Also seems like the left outlane ball save with the post on the prem would be missable, or does the code account for that and give you the ball back anyway?

kool1

Sep 14, 2021
Oakville ON
Stopped by P1 on Friday to try out the new games, and I really like the layout on FF. Only real complaint so far is that the shots that go around that turnaround on the right seem to go way out of control, but that seems like it's just a matter of dialing in the incline on the game. Has anyone played both the pro and prem/LE? After playing the pro, I'm starting to wonder if that's the way to go with this title. It looks like anything that goes to the right ramp on the premium will go via the upper PF, but also wondering how much that will add to the game, and whether it'll kill the game flow. Also seems like the left outlane ball save with the post on the prem would be missable, or does the code account for that and give you the ball back anyway?

I think pro vs prem depends on what you like. Most pros are faster games so if that's your thing, that upper playfield may not be for you.

The FF pro looks like an amazing game - I was hoping to get to Cabin Fever this weekend but I sadly got busy.

Big downside on the pro for me this time is no expression lights compatibility - You would think Stern would want to sell more accessories. WTF.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I stopped by P1 last Monday to try out the Pro too and also got to try out a friend's LE. That turn around shot seemed fine on my friend's LE so definitely an incline or leveling issue. I enjoyed both models and don't think you can go wrong with Pro because the only thing missing is the upper playfield which if you don't flip when you make the shot up there the ball flows just like the Pro, the death save post which came in handy a few times and the molded toys like truck and alien which I'm sure there will be mods made to replace these on the Pro. I'm a Foo Fighters fan and debated going LE but as usual couldn't justify the extra $2500-3000 for exact same game play as on Premium. It's a great shooter and love all the shot variety and paths.

I finally rearranged all my pins and have a spot allocated for Foo when it arrives :cool:
IMG-20230423-WA0020.jpeg

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
That lineup is looking amazing Mike! Foo will fit right in. That death save post is really cool, read something on pinside about a mod for it? Not sure I'd be rushing out to drill a hole in my Pro playfield, but maybe it didn't need a hole? I dunno... gotta find that post again.

Found the post: foo-fighter-foo-post-dead-post-mod

Last edited:
Reactions: kool1 and mwong168

kool1

Sep 14, 2021
Oakville ON
@roar I think the hole is already in the Pro playfield. It's great that a mod is probably coming.

@mwong168 Game room looking good indeed, Premium will look great there next to Rush!

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
@roar I think the hole is already in the Pro playfield. It's great that a mod is probably coming.

@mwong168 Game room looking good indeed, Premium will look great there next to Rush!
Really... well isn't that handy :) Apparently I didn't read all the posts in the thread, it's there and has a little metal cover over it!

curlyhoward

Sep 11, 2017
Toronto
I stopped by P1 last Monday to try out the Pro too and also got to try out a friend's LE. That turn around shot seemed fine on my friend's LE so definitely an incline or leveling issue. I enjoyed both models and don't think you can go wrong with Pro because the only thing missing is the upper playfield which if you don't flip when you make the shot up there the ball flows just like the Pro, the death save post which came in handy a few times and the molded toys like truck and alien which I'm sure there will be mods made to replace these on the Pro. I'm a Foo Fighters fan and debated going LE but as usual couldn't justify the extra $2500-3000 for exact same game play as on Premium. It's a great shooter and love all the shot variety and paths.

I finally rearranged all my pins and have a spot allocated for Foo when it arrives :cool:
View attachment 26866
Nice collection!

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
because the only thing missing is the upper playfield which if you don't flip when you make the shot up there the ball flows just like the Pro
OK, that's what I figured based on the stream, but good to know it flows the same way. Any idea whether the death save post is compensated in the code? I'm assuming that this is just implemented as a ball save on the pro (which I think I hit), so I'd assume that if the outlane save is active, the post pops and the prompt goes on the screen, but then if the next switch hit is a drain, a new ball gets served (in case the post fails) kind of like what will sometimes (although not always) happen with a physical kickback.

Also, is that a Lego Hedwig as a Rush topper? Neat idea :)

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
OK, that's what I figured based on the stream, but good to know it flows the same way. Any idea whether the death save post is compensated in the code? I'm assuming that this is just implemented as a ball save on the pro (which I think I hit), so I'd assume that if the outlane save is active, the post pops and the prompt goes on the screen, but then if the next switch hit is a drain, a new ball gets served (in case the post fails) kind of like what will sometimes (although not always) happen with a physical kickback.

Also, is that a Lego Hedwig as a Rush topper? Neat idea :)

The whole point of the death save post also requires skill or remember to hold the left flipper up right away otherwise it won't save the ball or give it back. I didn't know that first time it happened so having code compensate by giving back via ball save would sort of defeat purpose?

Owl I originally ordered from Wayfair but they were back ordered for so long until I saw it on amazon for cheaper and in stock last February. I added two blue led strips under it so it lights up blue too.

PXL_20230211_225645274.jpg

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
The whole point of the death save post also requires skill or remember to hold the left flipper up right away otherwise it won't save the ball or give it back. I didn't know that first time it happened so having code compensate by giving back via ball save would sort of defeat purpose?
Fair, if it's designed as a skill save as well as a ball save then that's another big difference between the versions. Thought there might be code in there to compensate in case it failed to bounce as designed. If it's the same rules that activate the outlane save on the pro, then that could also make it a slightly easier game, since it's impossible to miss, and it's much easier to trigger in a multiball.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Got to play an LE last night, and can confirm that the post save is VERY missable. Flow is good though-the upper PF didn't seem to add a whole lot from what I saw in the one game I had on it, but definitely looking forward to playing more of it. No problems with the right side turnaround either, so likely something related to setup on the showroom game. Not sure if I want to jump on one NIB or wait out the secondary market, but it seems like a winner.

Reactions: Ponzie and kool1

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
I struggled with the shots on the upper playfield but after some games on it I started to make some shots up there, even if I was just flailing :). Would be nice to do it with some intention! There is actually a fair bit to do on the upper playfield including the "hidden target" where the diverter moves out of the way to make the shot. Pretty cool. I think the Premium/LE has enough on it to make the jump, I haven't played a Pro to see how much the Prem/LE may be slowing things down, but if it doesn't that is the way I'd go.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Got my Foo Fighters Premium today and busy modding it while my daughter is enjoying it. I can't wait to get my wizmod artblades as they forgot it with my magnetic speaker panel and apron since I yank out my Stern Insider Connect to sell.

PXL_20230503_222251807.jpgIMG-20230503-WA0011.jpeg

Gotta reach out to Cliffy to see if he has anything in the works for this game yet.