• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Stern Batman 66

dnewman

Oct 29, 2013
Newmarket
My understanding was that they are going to 'invite' select customers to buy them, much like Ferrari and other supercar manufacturers sell high end cars by invite only... to make the customer feel special by overpaying! :D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
New Batman '66 info from Gomez himself via C2C podcast:

CRANE TOY
- The Penguin will be driving it & wreaking havoc on Gotham
- Mildly modified but roughly in the same place on the playfield
- Will have recognizable behavior
- Its corresponding inserts will be in the same place as BDK

PLAYFIELD LAYOUT
- Left ramp & right ramp that cross
- Lots of the same elements on right-hand side as BDK
- Left-hand side has been redesigned
- Completely new feature on left side of game that provides 3 distinct interactive modes for the player & also acts as an additional ball lock.
- Way more shots than BDK (less "stop & go")
- Shots have a combo system now

LCD SCREEN
- Approximately the size of a medium laptop (15.6" diagonal screen) on a hinge speaker display panel
- Will play clips from the old show

ARTWORK
- Will be a combination of TV & comic art with live-action imagery
- Will be more sophisticated than what was shown on the flier
- Multiple artists working on it so you'll see some variation in illustration styles

Stern is planning to have the game playable at Expo.

maken

Jan 2, 2014
Kitchener
Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price:
Premium Model: $US 8,599
Limited Edition Model: $US 9,999
Super Limited Edition Model: $US 14,999

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
And I hear Stern is making anyone buying a SLE sign a contract stating they cannot sell the game within the first 18 months of ownership unless they sell it back to Stern???? I'd like to think that's a myth but in this day and age I wouldn't put it past them...

D

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
Their treating it like an exclusive Ferrari track car release.

You must own multiple previous sterns before ownership.
Stern allows a select few buyers the privilege of ownership.
You must sell it back to stern, so they can select the next privileged buyer.

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto
Personally, I think it's great. Stern is making an effort to limit flippers.
This helps the true die-hard Batman fans get one.
I'm not one of those people, but better than watching people on Pinside get one, then sell it for extra cash before opening the box, no?
Though I'd love to see them just give one away to one of the many people who enter the contest.

Reactions: Menace

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Personally, I think it's great. Stern is making an effort to limit flippers.
This helps the true die-hard Batman fans get one.
I'm not one of those people, but better than watching people on Pinside get one, then sell it for extra cash before opening the box, no?
Though I'd love to see them just give one away to one of the many people who enter the contest.

Who are these people that would shell out "extra cash" on an already $15K USD machine?
Something about this whole project just makes me sad and a little sick. We are now beyond the point of just making a profit and keeping your business viable. This is gouging pure and simple. Now they are trying to mitigate the pricing backlash by stating this is just for this anniversary edition. Normal pricing will return after Batman. Suuuuuuure. I think a more accurate response from Stern would've been "Sorry; can't blame us for trying".

They may be trying to limit flippers... or maybe they just want to make sure that if anyone profits on the rarity of these machines, its going to be them. I don't know how they could even enforce that dumb stipulation. It goes something like this "Psst, buddy! Wanna buy my NIB super duper BDK66'LE for $20K? Sure... just keep it quiet for a few months okay?"

As for die hard Batman fans getting one. I think there is slim chance of that. Based on the questions I read, it's more likely that die hard Stern fanboys who run out to buy every LE they produce will get the thumbs up
:itd 3d ani w120 smiles 011:

I think anyone who even fills out that stupid application is a massive boob. There, I said it.

And yes, I woke up on the pessimistic side of the bed today ;)

Last edited:

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I never stopped to think about this from Stern's perspective and the ramifications it *could* have on the market moving forward... Drano has made some excellent points, and if history is any indicator this could ultimately end up becoming a market pricing excercise. Think about it for a second, everytime there has been some sort of flux in the pricing of new games (usually via a competitor) it hasn't taken Stern long to adjust their pricing. This time instead of waiting for a competitor to push the limit, they are doing it themselves!

Could be a slippery slope...

D

Reactions: mitch_a

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto
Nah, you're both just plain wrong.
: )
Honestly though, I do disagree with you both -simply saying that it's not really the pricing on the SLE that we should be worried about; Stern can make any many super-duper versions as they want and charge ridiculous prices to plate them with gold, for all I care. It's the increased pricing on the Premium models and the LEs that I'm concerned about.
So yes, as you said Drano, what happens on the next title? Is it back to regular pricing, or is this the new norm?
Fingers are crossed that it's only because there are likely extra licensing fees on this one (since there are clips from the tv series), and possibly material used in the existing Batman slotmachines that Stern has to pay extra for.

If it's just an extra $500-$1000 for a Premium cause they can get away with it... that would suck.

Still, the only way to know for sure is to wait and see what happens with the next title.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
As much as I hate to say this... The new pricing we are seeing is likely the new norm. When has Stern EVER increased pricing on anything only to have them dial it back down afterwards? The answer to that is never...

In this case I seriously hope I'm wrong.

D

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
As much as I hate to say this... The new pricing we are seeing is likely the new norm. When has Stern EVER increased pricing on anything only to have them dial it back down afterwards? The answer to that is never...

D

I have to agree with you. The price of their full featured games will not lower in price, now that they are trying to make home version games again. (Like the new Spider-Man)

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto

D

The price has always gone up with every single new game released and Stern has been averaging 2-3x price increases a year. Sure the distributors can say it is our weak dollar so I would love to see what happens when it bounces back. It's a good thing Canadians are use to price increases for little to no added value thanks to our current Liberal government.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I just watched my first "Stern please sell me a super LE" video.
It was pretty sad watching a grown man beg with all his Stern LEs in the background. He even had his two small kids in the room helping him beg (barefoot and barely clothed too).

:deluxe picard:

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Stern just posted up some villian artwork on their facebook page

0b12912db6ffa2048dbc308e91d177b42f3c7e65.jpg

5b58068fa7c7ed5540fe7d9bfa147179b610c341.jpg

a710a9332af02479143e5b55573dc92deb820146.jpg

b02cc5edbc2abc616a423305707c69f8b121ed46.jpg