• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

ST:TNG Color DMD

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
REVOLUTION said:
$300 will be the new cost for replacement DMD's.. mark my words.

Then, suddenly the price of this ColorDMD won't look so bad. ;)

It is already isnt it? Last I checked with you a xPin starts at $279 from SB and cant this colordmd be set to work on any game in a single color like the one they had inside Congo set to green?

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Prices on DMDs are going up because nobody is manufacturing them, but these LCD type screens are only going to get cheaper. Of course, give it a few years, and you'll have flexible AMOLED replacements for your pins (maybe then they'll be able to do CV). :)

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
REVOLUTION said:
Chris Bardon said:
Prices on DMDs are going up because nobody is manufacturing them, but these LCD type screens are only going to get cheaper.

Manufacturing them will get cheaper, yes... but I'm betting the vendors' prices won't reflect that

Nope, not unless they get some competition! wink wink nudge nudge...

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
DRANO said:
Still wondering why they chose STTNG for their next project?

Because I am getting mine tomorrow :) I hope they do a JPOP game next like TOM or TOTAN.

A

Anonymous

Chris Bardon said:
Yeah, I saw that as well-I suppose you could store new high res graphics on the system in the middle, so instead of colorizing the dots as they come in, you could play back clip X, Y, or Z. The catch would be triggering everything, which would take information that the DMD doesn't have (unless you interpret that in real time, which is crazy). What'd be more interesting is to replace the game logic with something like the hybrid of an LCD and P-ROC, so you could replicate the game rules (or improve on them), and drive new data to the display.

I am thinking that in theory you could do this now with a P-Roc (and even with a swapped ROM set in an original WPC but you'd still have to figure out a way to de-compile the original ROM first so that you could program changes to the rules set. Catching significant bytes of just the DMD output and modifying them on the fly is one thing, but trying to capture ALL of the switch matrix states and modifying the solenoid and bulb states (and coordinate a modified DMD animation output) all at the same time by an intermediary system might create a lot of lag.

I think you can run P-Roc from a PinMame created table so you could, in theory, do a custom programming of an entire existing pinball layout based on your knowledge of the available I/O.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I ordered mine this morning at 11:30am from BAA for my STTNG along with some new apron decals. Now I just need to check to make sure I have LX-7 code or else I will email Dave Astill and pick up this Sunday or next week when I head up to Blue Mountain. If anyone needs to update their chip for STTNG, AFM, MM or TAF feel free to make arrangements with Dave and I can pick up your chips and bring them back to Toronto too.

Here are the required versions listed on the ColorDMD website:

STTNG - LX7
MM - 1.09c
TAF - L-7, H-4, or LX-3*(Gold) (*LX-3 recommended for additional color animations)
AFM 1.13

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Sign me up Mike. STTNG - color DMD, here we go.... Woo hoo!
Thanks for the heads up reminder on this today Mike. I totally forgot about it.

Thanks to Drano very much for ordering this and arranging mine for me while I was busy today!
My cell phone battery was toast, and I was a limp duck driving around all day in this TO weather.

Gentlemen, as always, thank you so very much. I will return the favours when required.

Happy Warlock!

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Glad to help.
Congrats on the new toys boys!

I bought one for MM and TAF on the last run... still haven't installed them :oops:

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Installed MM last night and it is fantastic.
The only issue now is that I spend so much time watching the screen, that my balls drain to soon :(