• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

ST:TNG Color DMD

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I think I'll grab this, it looks good in AFM and I really like my ST:TNG if for nothing else to piss everyone else in TOPL off since they all hate it :p

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7_7E_DgtkJY[/youtube]

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I gotta admit, after installing one in a TAF for a client I was pretty impressed with the overall build quality. Not sure why they chose STTNG as the next game when TZ to me would seem like the more obvious choice?

Opinions?

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Menace said:
I gotta admit, after installing one in a TAF for a client I was pretty impressed with the overall build quality. Not sure why they chose STTNG as the next game when TZ to me would seem like the more obvious choice?

Opinions?

D

I'm betting the creators just really like Star Trek

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
It's cool and everything but it'd be nice if they weren't being such Bally WMS whores about it!! :p

... maybe Stern will license their technology! :D Honestly, this is the way to go IMO. I prefer this idea much more than a full-sized LCD screen in the cab head.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Looks like a nice upgrade-looking forward to seeing what it looks like in person. I was really impressed with the MM one. Given that they have to redo the dots anyway, I wonder if they can change the video mode? :)

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Vengeance said:
Stern seems like much to much of a Stubborn person to ever outsource something like that

I don't think they need Sterns blessing because they are not using or modifying ANY of the existing software or hardware, it's a completely contained 3rd party solution. If they did have an issue, then they essentially would have an issue with ANY 3rd party DMD supplier as well, because essentially that is all their product is. (albeit colour)

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Maybe it has more to do with the fact that up until ACDC, Xmen and Avengers Stern was usually using allot of motion capture in the DMD display.

Those motion captures look like a jumbled mess at the best of times on a DMD, I can't even imagine having to try and color in each pixel.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Vengeance said:
Maybe it has more to do with the fact that up until ACDC, Xmen and Avengers Stern was usually using allot of motion capture in the DMD display.

Those motion captures look like a jumbled mess at the best of times on a DMD, I can't even imagine having to try and color in each pixel.

Hell yeah, it would be... But where they are motion captures I'm thinking how difficult would it be to recapture them in colour? (not like the source material isn't available) But at that point I would think it becomes a licensing issue with whomever holds the rights to the film being captured. Now if it was all drawn by hand whats the liability??? (this could all be very grey area)

Interesting to know what if any agreements these guys have with the original rights holders...

D

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
I wouldn't even say to make it the same pixel density of a regular DMD.. they could make it high-resolution graphics, but in the same window frame of a DMD. I think that would be pretty awesome.. and WAY easier than programming for a DMD I'd imagine.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I just did some reading on this thing, and apparently it does in fact still use the dot info coming from the game... they just "filter" it and add the colour.

"Color data is stored on the ColorDMD controller board and used to colorize the video frames in real-time. The original dot intensities are unmodified to preserve the artist's original intent. The effect is similar to viewing the original dots through a colored filter."

So unless this is just their "spin" on how they do it to get around licensing issues, I'm thinking my idea won't work without getting wrapped up in legal hell.

Oh, and my vote is for TZ next. Just might have to save my pennies for that when it's available, and stash the DMD away as a spare for my other games.

D

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Yeah, I saw that as well-I suppose you could store new high res graphics on the system in the middle, so instead of colorizing the dots as they come in, you could play back clip X, Y, or Z. The catch would be triggering everything, which would take information that the DMD doesn't have (unless you interpret that in real time, which is crazy). What'd be more interesting is to replace the game logic with something like the hybrid of an LCD and P-ROC, so you could replicate the game rules (or improve on them), and drive new data to the display.

nics135

Nov 15, 2012
Janetville,ON
There does not seem to be that much data here to deal with. There are 4K pixels in a 128X32 DMD, assume you use a whole byte for intensity, you end up with 4KB per frame. There is finite number of frames with animation sequences that often just repeat. Not sure how many a game has but it cant be that many. The rest of time it is mostly static info with small amounts of update (players score). Now if you wanted to do a simple replacement with new hi-res graphic you would essentially be doing what the ColorDMD guys I think are doing, figure out which frame it is, replace with new one, if there is random data (ie the scoring frames), map that part of it directly. If you want new DMD frames for events not currently captured that is alot harder and you would need deeper access to the underlying events.

You end up with capture complete frame, determine which one it is (should be simple hash), drop in new template, convert any dynamic data, display, repeat per refresh rate on DMD. I was hoping these guys would sell me the DMD and provide a programming environment so I could customize the current animations all I wanted. Adding some nice blood splatter to Big Buck Hunter would be first order of business.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I am so getting this when it becomes available... then i can tglover the original DMD :lol: