• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

I bought a house!! (Building a game room)

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
After over 6 months of looking I finally found a house! Offer and deposit was accepted today, home inspection was also today and everything was fine. Things got hairy last night when it turned into a multiple bid situation but money talks :).

House hit all of our "needs" - close to my son's school (our back fence touches the school yard), lots of bedrooms, room for my office. but the best part is it has a finished basement with separate entrance. Nice wide door and stairs with no bends. So Frolic's Arcade will have a new home :).

Crazy how this hobby can take over and dictate where you live :).

I'm still in the 416, Yorkdale area off the 401.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Re: I bought a house!!

Congratulations! I can't wait to get a house that's better suited for a game room. I know it's going to be a big deciding factor on what place I end up getting.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Beafraid

Dec 13, 2012
Maple

Congrats. Hopefully the plugs where the pins are going are on at least two different breakers.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot

Vengeance said:
Looking forward to a downtown TOPL location again :p

Putting the "Toronto" back into to "Toronto Pinball League" :).

close feb 28. renovations for much of march.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot

Thanks, everybody.

Photo of the basement entrance and stairs, which are totally reasonable to deal with.

Other photo is of part of the basement, to the left is an open concept kitchen which will be removed, and on the other side is a bedroom wall which I'm taking out. So I'll have one big honkin' room! I'll leave the floor tiles, new paint on walls. overall not much work.

Haven't done a Drano style cad layout, but my guess is 16-20 machines can fit reasonably without getting all tetris on it.

Attachments

• newhouse_basement.jpg
    newhouse_basement.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 646
  • newhouse_basement_stairs.jpg
    newhouse_basement_stairs.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 647

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora

SaaaaWEEEET! Congrats Chris! Just think... you will only have to remove the heads of all your games one final time!

D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto

Congrats and looks like an easy move in for games down a straight flight of stairs too.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON

Congrats Chris-glad you found a place that works. Being that close to the school should be awesome for the kids, and you can't get much better than that for a basement entrance. No more decapitating pins to move them (except for out of your current place)!

Golden Graham

Nov 19, 2012
Essex, Ontario

Congrats on the house. I'm glad your first description was that it was close to your sons school - nice to know priorities are in order. Now just rip out those stairs and put a ramp!

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot

the school catchment zone was paramount, and the reason it took 6 months. just waiting for listings in that one small area. the bonus is the right house came up that lets me do the arcade :).

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot

Alright, I'm going to keep posting to this thread like Drano's and Adam's and update my progress.

Well, the compromises have already begun :). Initially I was thinking of taking the bedroom wall down in the basement and creating one big huge space, new paint, but the house will be getting a whole new kitchen, and one bathroom is being redone, plus paint for other parts of the house. I have to keep some semblance of a budget here, so for now I will keep the basement bedroom wall.

The main area of the basement will still hold many more pins than I have at the moment, so there really isn't a rush to open things up. There's also nothing stopping me from using the basement bedroom for a separate pin room, just with the wall up.

It's also nice to dream of taking my pin collection to 20+ machines over night, but that will take a while. Especially since my tastes are newer machines with light shows and stuff.

We'll be visiting the house with contractors in early january for some quotes on all the work, so that will solidify my ideas/plans.