• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

I bought a house!! (Building a game room)

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Re: I bought a house!!

I'd say the opposite, do it now since once you are full it will be much harder to do.

Once the place is full, demolition of a wall is going to make a huge mess, so you'll either have to move out the machines or cover them or something, but a regular old drop sheet won't stop them from getting infested with drywal dust.

Even if you just rip out the wall and don't finish the area, would be better then not doing it.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Re: I bought a house!!

Chris Bardon said:
No reason to open up the space if you don't have machines to fill it yet-you can always knock down walls later.

Agreed, if you don't think you're going to need the space anytime soon, that other room could come in handy for something else. Maybe even space for a vid collection or a poker room? I had no choice but to carve up the basement into laundry room and gameroom. The original layout was not good at all. It's not a massive basement because we're in a side-split... so we sorta have two medium sized basements instead of one massive one. Which works great for me because I get separation.

Steady as she goes. But be prepared for a huge mess and hassle later... that's the only issue.

If you want any help with drawing up some layouts, let me know.
If you have an iphone or ipad, I recommend downloading the MagicPlan app. You can stand in the middle of the room and scan it to create instant floorplans. You can even go in afterwards and adjust the dimensions for a more accurate file. It's pretty cool in a pinch.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Contractor is coming in tomorrow for the quote, we'll figure out what the wish list will cost and then whittle it down to reality.

My desire is that the wall will come down now. The basement is otherwise finished, so we're talking wall removal, floor repair, paint for entire room, electrical upgrades.

There's a kitchenette as well. Going to remove the stove and large fridge, maybe paint or replace the cabinet doors. I'm hoping my existing bar fridge can be tucked into one of the lower cabinet areas.

Attachments

• IMG_1688.JPG
    IMG_1688.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 443

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Visited the house with the contractor today. Attached is the video walk through, the official "before" :).

The bedroom wall is not load bearing, it is an easy removal. The floor will get some repair to the tiles, but nothing major. I was not planning to remove the counter at this time, but the contractor thinks it will be simple and can replace with a wet bar, so we'll see what he comes back with the quote this week.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzTSXv2LKPw[/youtube]

Beafraid

Dec 13, 2012
Maple
Looks good. Should fit lots of pins down there. You should throw some of that crazy carpet like Shaun has in his room. I wish I had put carpet down in part of my basement now. Feels different when you are in a nice room with carpet over tile or hardwood like i did.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Beafraid said:
Looks good. Should fit lots of pins down there. You should throw some of that crazy carpet like Shaun has in his room. I wish I had put carpet down in part of my basement now. Feels different when you are in a nice room with carpet over tile or hardwood like i did.

I'm too lazy to vacuum carpet, plus I'd go nuts with all the topl slobs spilling beer and doritos all over my floor :lol:

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
The carpet I put in the basement is great-easy to clean, insulating, and it wasn't too expensive to do the whole basement. Glad that I did the floor before filling the basement-it'd be much harder to move everything afterwards.

Hadn't realized that wall would be that easy to move-are there any support posts inside it?

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Nothing in that wall at all, it was built over the tiles even.

Contractor will have a quote at end of the week. Hopefully I can greenlight everything. I close on feb 28, they'll start work right away on everything. I'll stay in my current place till end of March, but will start moving in as rooms are available.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Built on top of the tiles huh? Same problem I had here actually, except it was crappy subfloor. Not fun to cut that stuff out from underneath if you want to keep the wall but replace the floor. Shouldn't be expensive to remove-worst case get a sledgehammer and do it yourself.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
quote is in. So I've decided to:

-remove wall
-repair floor and ceiling where wall was
-kitchenette will be removed completely including cupboards and backsplash. existing fridge/stove are removed.
-paint entire basement (undecided, but a dark color like dark purple or something that will look good with neons).

I've decided not to put a bar or anything in until after I've spent some more time in the space. So I can think about the best placement. I'll just stick my existing bar fridge along the wall, have some existing bar tables and stools, and decide later what to do next. So it will be one big room.

We close on the house feb 28, demolition starts immediately. I've given notice at my current house to leave by end of march, so sometime before end of march I will move into the new house.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Sounds like a great plan, and if you decide you want to put in a bar later on, you at least have plumbing if you want a sink down there. If you're getting it sealed in, just make note of where the pipes are behind the wall-means making a smaller hole later on.

Having a month to move is also VERY convenient.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Visited the house again with contractors today for the last time before we close on the house feb 28.

-Electricians will be adding additional wall outlets on dedicated breakers to allow all the pins to operate without a problem.
-Old light fixtures will be removed and new pot lights added.
-pot lights on dimmer switch.

I get the keys feb 28, contractor gets the keys that evening and demolition starts immediately. The basement will be one of the first rooms completed and painted so that I'm free to start moving my pins in.

Won't be much to report until after I get the keys. Pretty excited though! :)

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
frolic said:
Visited the house again with contractors today for the last time before we close on the house feb 28.

-Electricians will be adding additional wall outlets on dedicated breakers to allow all the pins to operate without a problem.
-Old light fixtures will be removed and new pot lights added.
-pot lights on dimmer switch.

I get the keys feb 28, contractor gets the keys that evening and demolition starts immediately. The basement will be one of the first rooms completed and painted so that I'm free to start moving my pins in.

Won't be much to report until after I get the keys. Pretty excited though! :)

Congrats again ... fun times ahead ... enjoy the adventure !!

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Key in hand, I'm officially a home owner today :)

Contractors start work tomorrow, and I have 1 month overlap before I have to vacate my current rental house.

Attachments

• 20140228_131857.jpg
    20140228_131857.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 233