• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Buying a new car?

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Trying to decide what would be the best for a daily driver that could also haul a pinball.

Right now were looking at either:

Honda Fit
Mazda3 Hatchback

The fit will fit a DMD no problem, the Mazda it won't but SS games won't be an issue.

Any other options in the same model type of car that would be good for pin travel?

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
I have a Mazda5. I think it will fit a pin. I took the head off my hulk before I put it in the car this weekend though in preparation of my stairs. So I didn't actually put it in in one piece. I'd have to take a measurement to be sure, but I think it would do it.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Get anything you want and toss a hitch on the back. My Rav4 has managed to fit every game I've ever tried to move in it, but I also have a hitch and it's just that much easier to toss an enclosed trailer on it and go. Gives me the felixability of carrying more than one game at a time, and saves time and my interior. (and for $15 daily trailer rental why not?)

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
This is what my truck is for, I'll keep the truck, but I figure it would be nice to have a vehicle that if I decided I wanted to ambulance chase down an ad on kijij I could do it in a moments notice since I drive to work every day with it.

Menace said:
Get anything you want and toss a hitch on the back. My Rav4 has managed to fit every game I've ever tried to move in it, but I also have a hitch and it's just that much easier to toss an enclosed trailer on it and go. Gives me the felixability of carrying more than one game at a time, and saves time and my interior. (and for $15 daily trailer rental why not?)

D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
A Nissan X-Trail is good and can be had used with decent kms for $7500-9500. I had one for 6 months in 5 speed manual and great for hauling pins with the back seats folded down.

5634383217_19fcdbf0ef_z.jpg

Another nice thing is the trunk floor and back seat are lined with plastic so makes sliding a pin in and out easy without having to lay cardboard down or someone lifting and pulling from the inside.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I'll never buy another used car again personally.

I understand that it's not the best value to buy a new car, but if you keep it for 11 years like I have my current car then it doesn't really matter as you get your money out of it.

I've bought 3 cars in my lifetime, 2 used, and 1 new.

The 2 used cars I bought have both been steaming piles of shit, my new car, which was the Mazda has lasted 11 years and 377,0000 KM's on the original engine and clutch.

Also the Xtrail is a cross over which isn't very fuel efficient.

But thanks for the suggestion.

QN

Nov 19, 2012
Ottawa
I'm the opposite, I'll never buy a new car again. A year old with the balance of the warranty seems like the best way to go.

I'd also check on the fuel economy, some of those small SUVs are relatively pretty good on fuel. They aren't at the level of the compacts, but the gap isn't overly great either.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
We've got a Hyundai Santa Fe as well as the Mazda, and it's OK on gas. It's also a great car for moving pins in though-I've been able to fit everything I've bought in there pretty easily, and other than the routine maintenance, zero major problems with it in seven years.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Ended up buying the Mazda3

I'll be able to fit SS and EM machines, but not DMD's without removing the head.

Went and looked at the Honda Fit which would have fit a DMD and didn't like it.

Also the Ford focus wagon, but that was in the same area as the Mazda3 for space.

So out last Mazda lasted 11 years so we stuck with what we know.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
REVOLUTION said:
Gross.. you went with the smiley-face car

Cars are tools, I don't care what they look like, I want something to drive that is going to last me another 11 years and be just as reliable.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Yeah, I haven't been to impressed with Mazda build quality the last few years either. My ex has a loaded 2008 CX9 and the hatch started rusting from the inside (even after being rust proofed) within the 1st year! Just last month the thing was yanked off the road by a mechanic due to being unsafe. Apparently all of the tie-rods were completely shot after just 100K, and even with the 6 year 1600000km extended bumper to bumper warranty that was purchased directly from Mazda they refused to fix it under warranty! How does that even happen in 100K of normal driving with zero accidents? My Rav4 is 11 years old w/ 250000kms and I'm on the original tie-rods still. Finally after a decent amount of fighting they agreed the parts were faulty and pushed it though under warranty, but c'mon...

Moral of the story, it's a total crap shoot with whatever you buy...

D

JeffM

Nov 27, 2012
London
Im in the car industry. I say the mazda would be a better car then the honda. Ive been doing autobody off and on for about 15 years. So i am speaking from having driven a lot of different cars. I would never buy another honda again after seeing what happened to buddies after he got in an accident. Also i believe the mazda will last longer before rotting out.

stiffler4444

Nov 20, 2012
Crystal Beach, Ontario
Gotta throw in my thoughts on Mazda vs. Honda. My wife bought a new 2007 Civic and I've only replaced the tires and battery. Everything else has been perfect.

My parents bought a new 2007 Mazda 3. Last year they finally had the body and paint done, as it started to rust on the trunk lid and rear wheel wells. Not impressed. But can't knock the performance of the Mazda, it's a solid driver.