• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Tim's Rollergames thread

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
I'm no expert but that's a problem :p . I would have to assume most of that will clean off when you pull the board to replace the components.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Carbon can be a bit of a pain to remove, but it must be removed during the repair as it's conductive! Luckily it's very minor and should clean up easily. Was it just the resistor(s) that went up in flames?

D

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Menace said:
Carbon can be a bit of a pain to remove, but it must be removed during the repair as it's conductive! Luckily it's very minor and should clean up easily. Was it just the resistor(s) that went up in flames?

D
Is it easiest/best just to use 99.9% alcohol to clean it off?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Usually 99% ISO does a decent job. In extreme cases you may have to scrape / sand / dremel the carbonized area but like I said... only in extreme cases.

D

tim.sanderson

spiroagnew said:
I've got a Hakko 808 solder sucker if you want to bring the board over for repair...you've also got some parts here to pick up!
That sounds like a plan. I've got my old board to harvest parts from.
I'd send ya a text, but my phone is misbehaving at the moment. (Win8 phone that's stuck in an infinite reboot loop) I'll PM you in a bit.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Yep, that resistor has been replaced for sure. I would be looking into what that transistor / resistor section is driving in the game and then be looking at the associate coil / lamp in question. It's clearly taking a while for it to fail, so it could be a case of a coil with a boarderline low resistance or maybe even a coil that has a very minor internal short that only shows up when the coil heats up?

This could be a fun one to track down!

D

tim.sanderson

As I poke around my RG today, I'm reminded that a certain part (D33) has been missing from my AUX driver board since the day I got it. While I'm fairly certain it can't be the cause of my flipper problem, I can't help but think that if the game didn't need it the designers wouldn't have put it there. I'll try and track one down today.

At the risk of sounding like a total noob; what are those called? I'm pretty sure it's not a resistor...

Attachments

• missing bit.jpg
    missing bit.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 677

tim.sanderson

Neat! I swapped driver boards and the right-side flippers now work.
If it's the missing diode 33 that's causing the problem, I'm confused as how I managed to play 100+ games before the flippers failed. Not that I'm complaining, I've been dying to play RG again for the past couple of weeks!

I'll start looking for what looks to be a CR3-010 diode. If I can't find one, I'll try to find a non-working driver board to use as an organ donor.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Looks like D33 goes to a transistor that's already been removed so no need to repopulate. You can confirm this visually and with your DMM.

D

tim.sanderson

So I’ve had some magnet problems for the past week or two. There’s a coil under the playfield that is meant to hold the ball, allowing you to make the WALL-OF-DEATH shot. I’ve tested all the fuses and the coil itself. I think I got 5 or 6 ohms when I tested the coils resistance, and 60 volts when I checked the leads going into the coil. While the magnet worked from day one (and for a few months without any problem), it’s only recently been acting up. It doesn’t want to catch the ball anymore, even if I hold it there to make sure it’s not a timing issue.
When I bought the machine, there were notes written across the lock bar on masking tape:
file.php

It says there was a shorting problem with the magnet.
Seeing as I am getting decent voltage coming into the coil, does this sound like I should just replace the coil, or could there be a different problem?

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Obviously there are issues, taking into consideration that tape note...but to chime in: mine had severe magnet issues too, wouldn't catch the ball at all, until a secondary ground wire was run to the main ground braid. It now only misses one out of every thirty times...which I blame an over-enthusiastic VUK for anyhow.