• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Tim's Rollergames thread

tim.sanderson

Rollergames is in the house!

It's actually a different game than the one I went to go see a couple of weekends back. I bought this one without even looking at it. Actually, the guy I bought it off never actually looked at it either. It was still wrapped up. He received it as part of a trade.
After getting it home and setting it up, I gave it a quick once over. There were some slightly worrisome notes taped to the lockbar:

Sure enough when I fired it up, none of the inserts were lit up. 20 minutes later while inspecting the boards in the backbox, I noticed two unplugged connectors. I plugged them in, fired it up, and wouldn’t you know the playfield lit up.

During a bit of gameplay, I noticed the magnet wouldn’t catch the ball by the upper flipper. When I went to inspect the playfield magnet, I noticed another couple of connectors unplugged under the playfield. Again, I plugged them in to see what would happen. I fired up the game, and the magnet seems to work. I didn’t notice anything shorting out. I will look into it a little deeper, just to make sure I don’t burn my house down. :p

The game needs all the usual work... very thorough cleaning, change all the rubbers etc. The good news is the playfield is in pretty good shape, and none of the plastics appear to be damaged.

Overall, I’m quite happy with the purchase!

Attachments

• rollergames_1.jpg
    rollergames_1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 768
  • lockbar_notes.JPG
    lockbar_notes.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 771

tim.sanderson

Thanks, guys. :)
I've noticed that some of the insert bulbs are incredibly dim. Maybe that was the insert issue mentioned on the lock bar is referring to that? I'm not going to go too crazy until I get myself a copy of the manual printed. PDF's are handy, but they can be pretty tedious to read on screen.
Maybe I'll see if anyone has one to sell...

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Try tossing new bulbs in if it's just some of the inserts. They could be the wrong bulb number or just old dying bulbs, I've had both of those a few times. Not saying it is that but it could be that easy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

tim.sanderson

brad808 said:
Try tossing new bulbs in if it's just some of the inserts. They could be the wrong bulb number or just old dying bulbs, I've had both of those a few times. Not saying it is that but it could be that easy.
It looks like there is a bigger issue. If I swap bulbs between a bright and dim insert, the problem doesn't follow the bulb. When I test voltage on the dim light sockets, I get really low voltage... usually around 1 volt. The bright lights give me around 4 volts. The ones that are out completely read very low... 0.2 volts or so. I'm going to hold off doing more until I print my manual.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Congrats on your new pin Tim. Did you need a copy of Clay's repair guide for Sys11? Let me know and I can put it up somewhere for you to download.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Just finished setting up my RG in the new basement. A favourite of visitors...I believe I posted an ode to my love for the game somewhere on the site.

How is the plastic above the lock drop targets? Mine was destroyed and obviously unattainable...so I cut one out of Lexan and printed out the text on red transparency. I cut an extra you can have if yours is broken...just trying to share the RG love.

Also check out the dude on Pinside that is manufacturing a wall diverter bracket which in many cases doesn't function properly...so much so, that a bulletin was released by Williams back in 1990 about it. Mine works, but I bought a backup anyhow. I'll post up links when I get to my laptop...I have them bookmarked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tim.sanderson

spiroagnew said:
How is the plastic above the lock drop targets? Mine was destroyed and obviously unattainable...so I cut one out of Lexan and printed out the text on red transparency. I cut an extra you can have if yours is broken...just trying to share the RG love.
After looking it over a little better, I see that that seems to be the only damaged plastic. And just barely at that. (right on the ends) I just may take you up on that plastic bit, although I am in no rush for it. It is one of the last things on my list.

Also check out the dude on Pinside that is manufacturing a wall diverter bracket which in many cases doesn't function properly...so much so, that a bulletin was released by Williams back in 1990 about it. Mine works, but I bought a backup anyhow. I'll post up links when I get to my laptop...I have them bookmarked.

From what I can tell, my diverters seem to be OK. I won't know until I fix the upper flipper tonight, so I can give it a better play-through. If you have those links handy, please fire'em my way.

I'm stuck at work until 8 tonight... the wait is killing me!

I'll likely hit you up for a few detail shots too, Rob.

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Congrats on the new addition Tim! I've always wanted to play a Roller Games. Looking forward to coming by and take it for a spin once it's up and running! Looking forward to following this one!

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
tim.sanderson said:
I'll likely hit you up for a few detail shots too, Rob.

Not a problem. You are more than welcome to come by for a look or bring parts over for test whenever you like. Cliffy has a "Wall" protector, too. Gotta protect that oh so rare plastic ramp. I don't have one but I'm thinking it's about time I buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tim.sanderson

spiroagnew said:
Not a problem. You are more than welcome to come by for a look or bring parts over for test whenever you like.
I am definitely going to take you up on that. It'll be good to play a few games on a machine that is 100%. It'll make it easier to spot the less-than-obvious problems with mine.
Cliffy has a "Wall" protector, too. Gotta protect that oh so rare plastic ramp. I don't have one but I'm thinking it's about time I buy it.
If you order one before I do, grab me one too. I'll do the same. :)

I've made a quick video of how the game plays so far. My usual GoPro rig is not available at the moment, so I had to do with my Canon T1i. The landscape orientation is not the best angle, but it'll do. It's uploading now, should be ready in 45 minutes.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I need to order up one of those, but I refuse to join pinside. If anyone here is planning to hop on the next pre-order, could you please put me down for one?

Thx!

D

tim.sanderson

Another few things I've noticed...

1) When the machine is turned on but has no game started, my flippers work when I press the buttons. I read something somewhere at some point in time, a guy had the same issue. Of course I can't remember when/where/who it was. But I don't think that's a real big priority for me right now. (unless that is the symptom of a greater problem)

2) There definitely seems to be some significant board issues. I notice that my J-E-T lights can't change lanes when I press my flipper buttons. Two of them just seem to blink on and off when they feel like it. The other one is off completely.

3) After playing for a few minutes before work, I managed to put up a high score. The weird thing is, when I pressed the flippers to change letters, all it did was make my flippers move... no letters could be chosen. When I'd push the start button, it would move the cursor to the next space. I've never experienced that before.

Do all these things sound like the driver board? If so, I may look into a Rottendog board (assuming they make one). Then I could work on the board at my leisure, while having the game up and running.

Anyways, I have no time to work on it tonight, I'm off to a fund raiser for my Dad's Parkinson's support group. I'll dig into it more tomorrow night.