• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Tim's Rollergames thread

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Good stuff Tim, if you want I have a home made playfield rotisserie you can borrow to make your shop job easier. It's similar to this and I bought it off Terry (rockinganker) a few months ago.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=169

tim.sanderson

mwong168 said:
Good stuff Tim, if you want I have a home made playfield rotisserie you can borrow to make your shop job easier. It's similar to this and I bought it off Terry (rockinganker) a few months ago.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=169
Thanks dude. I was thinking of making some sort of rotisserie thing myself, but maybe something more table-topish. But if that proves too difficult/expensive, I may take you up on that offer. :)

I'll look over the link you posted again, to see if it sparks any ideas.

tim.sanderson

So after some substantial Novusing I've got the playfield quite a bit cleaner than when I started. But I have quite a few spots (most not covered in Mylar) that have stubborn marks left. Is there a safe way to get rid of them? Or is the risk of ruining the paint too great to try scrubbing it away?

Attachments

• ring_around_the _pop_bumper1.jpg
    ring_around_the _pop_bumper1.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 415

tim.sanderson

Picked up some stuff for the playfield today...

• - LED's for GI, flashers and pop bumpers.
    - Rubbers. (posts, rings, flippers etc)
    - Star posts

I'll hopefully have the playfield back together by early in the week. Then the tough work begins!

Attachments

• playfield_stuff_1.JPG
    playfield_stuff_1.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 405

tim.sanderson

I've got the rubbers/LED's onto the playfield, so today I spent a bit of time cleaning up the the ramp assembly. It turned out pretty well:
BEFORE:
BEFORE:
AFTER:

This is what came off of just one of the ramps.
Barf:

Attachments

• ramp_assembly_800x600_1.jpg
    ramp_assembly_800x600_1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 392
  • ramp_assembly_800x600_2.jpg
    ramp_assembly_800x600_2.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 392
  • ramp_assembly_800x600_4.jpg
    ramp_assembly_800x600_4.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 394
  • ramp_assembly_800x600_3.jpg
    ramp_assembly_800x600_3.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 393

tim.sanderson

After having very little time to work on RG during the past week, I finally have a day off I can spend putting it back together.
You can see the detail shots I took of the playfield before I started pulling it apart. I highly recommend doing this if you've never taken one apart before. Heck, even if you have, it's still a good idea. I've had to use them a few times already to jog my memory!

Attachments

• IMG_1180.JPG
    IMG_1180.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 371

tim.sanderson

So it's been a while since I've made any progress. I had reinstalled the playfield 2 or 3 weeks ago, but didn't get all the plugs figured out until today. I had one extra plug left, and I couldn't figure out where it went. Basically, I had a couple of plug in the wrong spot. I got it figured out today, at least to get it back to the way it was before removing the playfield.

I'd been waiting for my trip to Pinfest to see if I could find the MPU I've needed to take the next few steps in my project. I found one. :)

I have to solder in a battery box and repair at least one busted connector. Then hopefully I'll have working inserts!

Attachments

• RG_CPU.JPG
    RG_CPU.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 327

tim.sanderson

So this is where I am. I soldered on my AA battery box, installed my RG ROMs, and fired up the machine. The extra-great news is that my inserts seem to be working as they should. (yay!) The weird news is that my display seems to be jumbled now.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5q08yT0Pdc&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
I've checked the connections a few times, (especially the ribbon cable) everything looks to be in the right spot.
I'll give it another once over before bed, if nothing jumps out at me I'll tackle it again tomorrow.

**EDIT
I assume that seeing as the board and batteries were removed, that the game has reset to defaults. It's no longer on free play, and when I try to add credits by hitting the quarter switch thingy, it doesn't do anything. Also, the flippers used to work even when the game was in attract mode... it no longer does.

Attachments

• scrambley_board_800px.jpg
    scrambley_board_800px.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 307

tim.sanderson

I'm embarrassed to admit it...

I had the ribbon cable backwards on one side. I was positive I checked to make sure that the red stripe was on 'pin 1' on both boards. When I thought I had it backwards, I reversed both of them. Of course seeing as only one was wrong it just meant I fixed one end but messed up the other end.
I very rarely use him, but this totally deserves a Picard face palm:
:FP:
Once I had the screen up and running, I realized it was a problem with the coin mech's switches kept me from adding credits. So I flipped it to FREE PLAY and voila, The game worked. I soldered in the little insert boards I found rattling around the cabinet and reinstalled the J-E-T insert board. Other than a few bunt out bulbs it seems to be behaving pretty well.

I've played a handful of games... everything seems good so far.

:D