• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Tim's Rollergames thread

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
If the magnet coil is shorted, it would act the same as a shorted plunger style coil. The resistance would drop, which in turn would make the coil stronger (not weaker) and eventually the resistance would be too low that it would draw so much current it would either blow the associated fuse and/or destroy the drive transistor.

Rob's suggestion sounds like a reasonable solution, and easy enough to try. Look forward to the next update.

D

tim.sanderson

So I finally got the magnet problem figured out and fixed, as well as the F5 fuse blowing problem I had. It seems they were related. I tracked down a bad EOS swith for my upper flipper. It was so corroded it would never close the circuit. I took it out and ran some 220 grit sandpaper between the two contacts. It now shuts off the high voltage. So no more F5 problem. And wouldn't you know it the magnet works again, too! I'm not 100% they are related, but the game works again, so I am happy.

I picked up a new switch, I'll swap it out after a few games.

tim.sanderson

So, it turned out this week that I didn't actually solve my fuse blowing problem, not to mention the magnet stopped working again. The magnet pooped out again after I had replaced the EOS switch on the upper-right flipper. After a little investigating today, I followed the wires from the magnet and found that they led to a single FET on a board in the centre of the playfield. I noticed the FET had broken solder joints. I re-soldered it to the board, and the magnet started to work again.

However, I was still blowing the F5 fuse. I checked the EOS on the lower-right flipper, and found that it wasn't quite opening up enough. I bent the switch to make it open a little wider, and it seems to have done the trick. Haza!

Attachments

• magnet fet2.jpg
    magnet fet2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 154

tim.sanderson

Oh yeah, and I finally got around to finishing ver.1 of my plastics. Here's one of the slingshot plastics. I'm mostly happy with them, but I'm going to redo them. Because I didn't do the artwork on that particular piece, there wasn't a proper bleed on the image. That's why the edges of the image don't line up perfectly with the edge of the plastic. I plan on remedying that on ver.2, along with printing them on decals that allow me to stick the image from the underside, so it resembles the screen printed originals.

The Robocop and Jokerz plastics I did the artwork for turned out much better.

Attachments

• sling_plastics.jpg
    sling_plastics.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 146

tim.sanderson

With the pending sale/removal of my Rollergames in the next week or two, this thread is officially winding down. I thought I'd post a photo of the car that was partially funded by the sale. I picked it up tonight. A 2003 '30th Anniversary' Honda Civic. Pretty much stock, other that coil overs, wheels/tires and Type-R sway-bars. A few short years ago I would have balked at the idea of driving anything other than a stick shift. The fact that this has an automatic transmission was actually a selling feature for me. I guess I'm getting old. :p
I've still got my eyes open for what I really want though... an 80's Honda.
This will tide me over until I find one!
03civic.jpg

Reactions: dnewman

tim.sanderson

Thanks! The previous owner (he was the only owner) took amazing care of it. The oldest Honda I've ever had was a 1985 CRX, easily my favorite car I've ever had. An '82 280zx and a '93 Civic Si round off numbers two and three.
Barry, I'd take an '86 Prelude in a heartbeat!
Brock, kids are the reason the previous owner to put it up for sale, too. (although he's hung on to the kick-ass early '50's pick up he's working on)
It'll probably be a few weeks until I get it officially on the road, but it was great 30 minute drive to get it to my buddies garage. It's been far too long since I've driven something that's needed to dodge potholes and manhole covers in!