• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Will TAF ever be remade?

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
The rumor is that the pinball arcade is going to make this table if they can run another successful kickstarter. I always thought that the license was impossible to get.

So my question; With this being one of the best pinball machines ever, will they ever make more? The license can't be impossible to attain. The games value is always high, but is it enough to convince one of the makers to redo it.

Could 20000 more sell?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 701

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Luckydogg420 said:
With this being one of the best pinball machines ever

According to who?

It sold the most games ever, doesn't make it the greatest.

EBD is a close second, does that make EBD the 2nd best game ever?

TAF was the first game I ever bought, and one of the first games I also ever sold, its got a great, theme, sound and art package, and the theme integrates really well into the machine, but the overall play of the machine is lackluster at best.

Simplistic rule set with no risk vs reward to be found anywhere, just grind it out.

I won't argue that TAF has some of the best lights and sound shows in all of pinball, but best pinball machine ever..... :FP:

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Clearly he's talking about units sold when claiming best pinball ever, hence the question regarding a possible re-make.

I agree with you about the gameplay tho.

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I doubt it will ever be remade, simply because value wise, it doesn't sell for much higher then a NIB Stern does, I'd expect to pay around 5K in this market for a TAF, possibly lower if it's beat.

For a remake to be viable the pricing needs to be there, MM and AFM make sense since pristine examples sell for more then NIB prices.

Also there aren't 20 some odd thousand MM's or AFM's so with that many units a remake is pretty much unnecessary.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I think the big issue with TAF is obtaining the rights from the person who holds it for the late Raul Julia.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
We don't know how low Planetary is willing to go on remake pricing. He's even talked about remaking system 11 games.

If MMR basically pays for the entire r&d of their new platform, they may very well sell remakes for far cheaper down the road, what the market will be willing to pay anyways.

We don't know what Pinball Arcade's kickstarter will be, but I would guess around $100k. That would be pocket change for a real pinball company with millions to make or not on a release.

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
That's why I find the surging value of TAF so surprising ~ if there are thousands and thousands of these games, then why the sharp increase in value ? I could have bought this game for $3000 about 4 years ago all over the Great Lakes area. If I had, I would have near doubled my money. That's a pretty good return, even for a pinball machine.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
g-man said:
That's why I find the surging value of TAF so surprising ~ if there are thousands and thousands of these games, then why the sharp increase in value ? I could have bought this game for $3000 about 4 years ago all over the Great Lakes area. If I had, I would have near doubled my money. That's a pretty good return, even for a pinball machine.

Everyone can say that about almost any machine at this point.

You only really need this graph to understand what is going on

image002.gif

I look forward to when the graph starts going the other way, nothing can continue to climb forever, a correction is inevitable could be 10 years from now, but it will happen.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON

Problem is that there were lots of them made, but how many are beat beyond repair? How many got cannibalized for parts? I have a feeling that since the game did so well on route, it got played to death.

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
The problem with your graph however, Adam, is while it shows a correlation, it does not show which variable is the controlling variable.

If the price goes up, you'd expect fewer machines to trade hands. Likewise, if fewer trade hands, then people are willing to pay more to pry them loose.

So which comes first ? Or do they sort of feed off each other ?

Hard to say, really.

And look at those numbers ~ according to that graph, the average priced has increase only about $500 in the last few years. Puhleeze. :D

Problem with "corrections" in the marketplace is that they are always temporary...perhaps even fleeting. Corrections are often followed by a feeding frenzy as people somehow find money to scoop up once-in-a-lifetime bargains. A loss of 30 or 40% in value soon becomes a more modest 10% and then in the few months following, becomes erased altogether.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Math is Math.
On a graph or not.
Manufacturers try to "read" the demand from consumers.
Then, the whole "economy" of our sales systems tries to follow suit.

To buy? Or to ignore it all? That is the true question. Up to you.
No debate needed. Only you can decide that as an individual consumer.

Keep thinking gents. And, question everything. Only then do we really learn and grow.

More soon.
Cheers.

Yada.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
100 % agree Glenn. That is what I meant. We can't argue with these statistics.

As average sales $ per used machine goes up, and number of units sold falls,
the manufacturers want our $ instead and their sales teams want us to buy
new pins as there are fewer and fewer "used" pins available while prices rise.

I think they will try and make, and remake anything they can that we will buy.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
I received the Pinball Arcade newsletter email.

"We received our physical Addams Family™ pinball table, and shot the video for the campaign this week.

We still have some work to do before we can launch the Kickstarter, but we wanted to whet your appetite a bit! Campaign time is drawing very near! "