• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Troubleshooting dead dmd

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
My dmd is black on my ToM. I'm not sure what happened. I double checked the connections and fuses, everything checks out.

Would I need to borrow a spare dmd from someone to test that to see if its the problem? any suggestions for trouble shooting?

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
First, check the supply voltages arriving on the DMD board, and connectors leaving the power supply.
Often the issue is with high voltage regulation parts on the power supply (diodes, transistors, resistors, caps).

Good luck !
- Sylvain.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Why don't you try plugging your TOM DMD into TSPP and see if you get anything come up on the display. If nothing comes up then it should help narrow things down.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Before you start swapping anything around, test the HV section with your DMM as Syl suggested. (also check the two fuses on the DMD controller) The HV section on these has a high failure rate.

D

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
thanks, I'll update this thread as I'm able to try things.

Mike, so you're saying that all orange dmds are the same? they can be swapped? I know that the new styles are not plasma. But anything orange should swap?

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
frolic said:
thanks, I'll update this thread as I'm able to try things.

Mike, so you're saying that all orange dmds are the same? they can be swapped? I know that the new styles are not plasma. But anything orange should swap?

Yes, they are the same and TSPP is not the new style and plasma. I was just talking to Doug now and he said if you are going to do the swap test put the TSPP DMD into TOM. DMD's can develop internal shorts which would take out the HV and last thing you need is to take out your TSPP as well :evil:

PhilGreg

Nov 28, 2012
Not sure how the Stern is wired up, but I thought I had a dead DMD on my TFTC until I realized I had plugged in a ribbon wire backwards... red strip is for pin 1!

...turns out it wasn't dead but just outgassed :FP:

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
PhilGreg said:
Not sure how the Stern is wired up, but I thought I had a dead DMD on my TFTC until I realized I had plugged in a ribbon wire backwards... red strip is for pin 1!

Here is what the back of the DMD on Spiderman looks like:

8693298594_fc6aa30815_c.jpg

Here is my Star Trek The Next Generation for reference:

8748045332_4ac5483d4a_c.jpg

I don't think frolic's ribbon cable would be plugged in backwards as it has been working fine since he setup the game. Any updates or have you tried swapping the DMD or take any measurements with your DMM?

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
haven't had any time to work on this. One of my problems was we blew a fuse when diagnosising the DMD.

The fuse was on the dmd controller board, it was a 3/8 amp.

I went to Sayal, and all they sold was 250 and 500s.

Has anyone ever seen a 3/8 before? Is that normal? Can i use a 250 or 500 instead?

Once that fuse is replaced I can continue with the diagnosis of the original dmd problem.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I have to ask how you managed to blow that fuse during diagnostics? And if you cannot get a 3/8, roll with the 250ma as I have used those in a pinch in that location. (and never ever over fuse!)

D

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
thanks Doug. I can't recall exactly what happened, we were pulling the dmd out to start checking, pulling cables, something must have shorted from carelessness. The one thing for certain was it was AFTER the dmd went blank, so it is an unrelated problem.

Are 3/8 sold anywhere locally? I'll try the 250 for now since I have them and so I can at least continue checking it out.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I never buy my fuses locally because they are too expensive and never have what I'm looking for, unless I order 100pcs through my work. (yes, all the same value - 100pcs / bag)

D

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Brock came over tonight and installed his replacement dmd board which got it back up and running. Not sure what happened to the old one, he thought it looked a little fried. Guess it was an accidental short but I still don't know why it happened.

Oh well, was fun to play some TOM again tonight. Those shots are smooth like butter.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
The original HV section on the DMD PCB's fail frequently, just the nature of the design. Glad Brock sorted you all out.

D