• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

The Six Stages of Pinball Collecting (plus Vengeance mode)

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
Warlock got me thinking...a dangerous pastime, I know....

Stage 1 - Interest

Starting to lurk web sites and forums, thinking about maybe buying your first machine, fondly thinking of one you played as a kid and thinking how that will take you back to your youth if only you could have one of those.

Stage 2 - The First Purchase

You've done it! You have a pinball machine in your house! Congratulations! You're finished. And except for those rare few who can stay in Stage 2, with no real idea what's about to happen to you. One of the best things that can happen to you in this stage is if you buy a dog of a machine, and you decide that you'll cut your losses and get out....because if you don't....you also pick a handle and start posting on the forums - but choose wisely - your username can take on a life of it's own.

Stage 3 - The next purchase

Well, you've come to the realization that pinball machines are like bunnies, and potato chips. You can't eat just one, and they can multiply rapidly if you let them. You start to learn all you can about fixing them, because they do break and life is easier if you can do repairs yourself.

Stage 4 - More purchases (Obsession)

You start to rearrange furniture and run wire all over your house to power what is now your expanding collection. What you paid for that first machine is small potatoes as you expand your collection. You spend many of your waking hours on forums, reading all you can, and start to realize that more and more of your thoughts are pinball related than they should be. Your non-pinball friends and family start rolling their eyes if you so much as mention the word pinball, and your partner starts twitching when he/she hears the word.

Stage 5 - You're out of control (Madness)

More machines than space or money should reasonably allow. You spend your hours searching out those little parts to make your machines that much nicer. A Parts For Sale ad from 2005 might be worth an email, just in case they never sold it, right? A busted switch can send you into despair, and fixing that switch gives you a greater high than ever. You don't even dare mention the word pinball in front of your partner, and start minimizing windows on your computer whenever they come close, so they don't catch you on pbrev...again.

Stage 6 - Acceptance

You pare the collection down to a reasonable amount, where you have both the space for them, and time to work on upkeep. You have fun with your pinball friends, and remember the ability to discuss other topics with people who aren't sharing your obsession.

and the rarest stage of all - couldn't leave it out after I saw it posted below :

The Vengeance Stage - outside and beyond the normal realm of pinball collecting. :)

Pinball has consumed you entire life.

You play all the time, for hours at a time, fixing, repairing, cleaning, and playing more.
You schedule your vacations around it
Your only friends are pinball related
The only time you have a conversation outside of work it's pinball related
You build extensions on your home to grow your ever expanding collection
You travel half way across the world just to play more pinball
Your pinball friends use you as the example of just how normal they are compared to you.
Pinball is the Alpha and the Omega, it is the beginning and the end, it is ALL CONSUMING!

For me, I think I'm solidly in Stage 4, with a dangerous leaning towards Stage 5. I was a good boy on the weekend - didn't buy the machine I looked at, even though I wanted it. Shouldn't have even looked at it, to be honest. :)

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Re: The Six Stages of Pinball Collecting

Solidly deep in Stage 5 currently.

Stage 5 - You're out of control (Madness)

"More machines than space or money should reasonably allow."

Stage 6 - Acceptance

Desperately trying to move into this specific part of Stage 6 now.

"You pare the collection down to a reasonable amount, where you have both the space for them, and time to work on upkeep."

Stage 6 - The best part

"You have fun with your pinball friends, and remember the ability to discuss other topics with people who aren't sharing your obsession."[/quote]

This part is the best part for me. Good friends and enjoy your hobby. I need to remember to stay the course and focus on the best part.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga

Definitely in stage 5 here... but closing in on the end of it for sure.

I don't see myself paring anythng down just yet, so maybe there's a happy nirvana-like stage 5.5 in there somehwere where, like Alexander the Great, you survey all you have attained and you weep... for there is no pin left to conquer :D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto

brewmanager said:
Well, you've come to the realization that pinball machines are like bunnies, and potato chips. You can't eat just one, and they can multiply rapidly if you let them. You start to learn all you can about fixing them, because they do break and life is easier if you can do repairs yourself.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I think after getting my DM last Friday I can finally move onto Stage #6. I pretty much have all the games I want at home and enjoy playing and next step will be making them all nice starting with my I500 clear coated playfield swap once it has had enough time to cure. There is no sense in tearing down a perfecting working game at the moment and enjoy being able to play it before it is in pieces for a few weeks/months.

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario

I hit 6, now am at a special stage where I have to sell a game to get a new game, I say I hit 6, since I am willing to make a hole before buying a new game... I say that now, but I can slip back into stage 5, since something in the back my my head is telling me I could make room for two more...... ahhhhh :FP:

sammysrecroom

Apr 2, 2013
ontario

please help me. i'm on the more purchase stage. i only have three and i want more!! i should be buying a boat or a motorhome instead of looking at kijiji everyday for a pin.

slacker

Nov 15, 2012
Hamilton Ontario

Happy to be stuck around 5.5
Outta room and folding games to put up new ones! Thats ok because the ones I took down are the ones I have all the parts for but never shopped since I was too busy playing them! So with a new one added just this last weekend and the weather changing clear coats will dry better and the sun stays out longer so that means more enegry after work. I'm not saying if a machine I want comes up it safe, it just means I have till it starts to get cold before I need to move it from the garage to a place much warmer. That is unless the spray foam and heater get done this summer LOL
Cheers
:cool:

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON

mwong168 said:
I think after getting my DM last Friday I can finally move onto Stage #6. I pretty much have all the games....
I see what you did there. " I think...." and "'pretty much...." I'd consider you a conditional stage 6. I hear a JM calling your name... :lol:

As for me, I am definitely, absolutely, most certainly and without a doubt becoming a 6. But yesterday I felt like a 4. Last week I think I was more of a 5. :FP:
But I am settling in on a "one out, one in" attitude. I think. :?

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot

I'm at stage 5 but I've created a moratorium to prove to myself I'm not hooked on buying. It's been 27 days since my last purchase, so I'm not out of the woods yet. I was buying 1 a month, so it's about that time again.

I think running out of room helps though, because I probably would have bought a couple more games.

nics135

Nov 15, 2012
Janetville,ON

Couple of things: Stage 2.5 Try and get the wife interested. Buying Shrek as my first machine turned out to be accidentally genius. This makes later stages simpler. Stage 3. I should a get a couple more machines so I do not have to actually stand around and watch some one play a ball.

Currently progressing from Stage 4 to Stage 5. I may never clear stage 5.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora

I've been at stage 6 for a while, but I seem to have moments where I dance around the stage 4 and 5 lines for a while and ultimately end up back at 6. I don't miss being stuck in stage 4 and 5 like I was a number of years ago, and am completely comfortable in stage 6.

All this said I've got 2 games waiting to be picked up @ Gerry's and I'm toying with grabbing another from a friend... UGH.

D

tkaye

Mar 17, 2013
Ancaster, On

Great post BM!
I think you've really hit the nail on the head here...
From a noobs perspective, I can say I am firmly a Stage 3.5
First machine as some of you already know, was a retail purchase that was a less then minty T2 by far yet I paid $1000-$1200 more then market value (plus tax because it was retail)...BUT, I got one!! :D
That's what made it all justifiable!
But, of course, no one stops there...Is there anyone that stays in stage 2??
Less then a month later, after visits to our resident enabler Mike and a conversation with Barry and with Brock #2 and my first NIB Tron...
Only a week later, struck a deal with the Pinball Exchange here in Hamilton to trade back the T2 for an LOTR...hopefully to be delivered later this week when the rain stops...
And #3 will likely happen within the next little while once I catch my breath with the $$$ and can figure out how to rearrange the furniture...
Thanks everyone for all the great advice here...It's a blast chatting 24 hrs a day about pinball...I'm on my way to Stage 5!!!
-Todd

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON

I've got a Stage all my own :mrgreen:

Stage

Pinball has consumed you entire life.

You play all the time, for hours at a time, fixing, repairing, cleaning, and playing more.
You schedule your vacations around it
Your only friends are pinball related
The only time you have a conversation outside of work it's pinball related
You build extensions on your home to grow your ever expanding collection
You travel half way across the world just to play more pinball
Your pinball friends use you as the example of just how normal they are compared to you.
Pinball is the Alpha and the Omega, it is the beginning and the end, it is ALL CONSUMING!

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto

Who are well all kidding here? We are never done and the only way you will ever stop is if you cut all ties with all other pinball collectors and the internet. As long as you go visit other collections there is always going to be a game you want or is better then one in your existing line up.

I remember my first time ever visiting a collector's home and seeing pins in a home environment. My original enabler was monkeybug and I was awestruck the first time I went down to his basement or "graveyard" as some have referred to it. It was great to play some of the pins I remembered back in the day like Addams Family, World Cup Soccer and Theater of Magic which is what I was really looking forward to cause it had been a long time since I had seen or played one on location. So started talking to him about where I could find a TOM and when I found out what the market value for one was around $3000 (2 years ago) my hopes were crushed because that was way more then I was comfortable spending. He said you could find routed or beat up example that may or may not be working 100% for cheaper that you can fix up but discouraged me from going down that path for my first pin which was great advice. Anyways, when I was there I never seen or played a Demolition Man before and it was within my budget of $1300-1500. I did consider many other games and would email monkeybug 10-20x a day with links to kijiji or other local for sale threads asking for his advice and after 5-6 months I brought home my first pin. It is a very slippery slope and multiplies quickly in a short period of time as you can see here.

6481858031_e9df7fe3e6_b.jpg

I stopped keeping track and for 2012 there wasn't a single month that went by where a pin didn't go in or come out of my basement. It is a huge pain in the ass and sure SuperJackpot can vouch for that as he saw me unhinge doors, baby gates and other stuff to clear a path down to my game room. I also find it funny how when I first got into this I set a limit to the number of pins I would be content and happy with and vowed to never sell things like my Fabi foosball or pool table. When I finally sold both and when I sold my pool table I was like I should be good for space for the next year and 2 months later I was busting at the seams. Also I find the longer you are in this the less sensitive you are with pricing. I use to think anything > $2000 was a lot for a pin and now I am spending more then that and sometimes 2-3x without even thinking it over. :FP:

WARLOCK went from 0 pins to i think 35-40 in 6 months last year! brewmanager please post some pics of your garage.

PS - If you haven't bought your first pin yet.... RUN AWAY!!!!!! :twisted:

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge

Something wrong with his finger. It doesnt seem to bend like the rest of his hand. Might wanna see a Dr about that.

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
Re: The Six Stages of Pinball Collecting (plus Vengeance mo

Only 3 of those pins are still in your basement, Mike. Wow. You can also watch Keith become visibly stooped over after each machine.... :)

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga

The props are the best part of kieth's pics ;)

I notice Mike had to repaint the stair-well after the first few... it's TIGHT!!!!
Now his wife has just given up. The scrapes on the wall add to the charm :D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto

brewmanager said:
Only 3 of those pins are still in your basement, Mike. Wow. You can also watch Keith become visibly stooped over after each machine.... :)

Technically 4 are still in my basement as I am at an elite stage where I am bringing back games I had before :lol: My brother in-law Keith has been key to my addiction and he is a beast when it comes to moving pins up and down. In the past 2.5 years been through 27 pins out of which 10 have stayed. I am not looking forward to the day I have to move but all the heads will be removed and maybe pull the playfields out too as that seems to make Baywatch, CV and TSPP pretty easy painless to move up.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga

so... at what stage do you start buying multiples of the same machine in order to "upgrade" an existing and perfectly nice example with a slightly better one? :FP:

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON

DRANO said:
so... at what stage do you start buying multiples of the same machine in order to "upgrade" an existing and perfectly nice example with a slightly better one? :FP:

Been there done that :FP: