• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Revenge from Mars & SWEP1 - Need Opinions

juandylan

Nov 18, 2012
Thorold
Considering making an offer for the package that includes both of these games. I have lots of gameplay on SWEP1 but have never played RFM. RFM looks pretty fun and the 3D images seem pretty well done. Looking for opinions on both games, specifically RFM and also really interested in anyone who has experience with the actual playfield swap out and how stable the Pinball 2000 system really is (mechanically/electronically).

I've watched the videos and the promos but looking for real world info.

Thanks.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Check out Menace's thread here as it shows what is mostly involved in switching between the two games.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1730&p=14323#p14323

Here is a promo video from Williams showing you how easy it is to remove the playfield

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAyBz8XIMsU&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Re: Revenge from Mars

One thing to note in my post, I am running a NuCore system so the swap is WAY less complicated than with the OEM P2K system. (one of the MANY reasons NuCore rocks) It's literally remove one PF, disconnect the connectors from the PF, connect the new PF, swap the shooter hardware, install the PF into the game, done.

If you have a PUB card for the OEM system the swap is not as bad as it saves you from connecting a PC with a proper serial port to update the boot code. The bitch about swapping games is removing the ROM card from the PRISM card in the PC. It's a sandwich design and is an absolute BITCH to separate, and I have seen (and repaired) a PRISM that had the header ripped right off the board from a client trying to separate them. The software for the PC update is also very clunky and non-intuituve and can be a bit of a bugger to get it to talk to the game.

All in all, it's not impossible to swap from game to game and once you've done it more than once it's not so bad but getting it done the first time can be a bit of a struggle.

D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Here is the combo shooter housing from Borygard if you want to make swaps easier in the future.

shooters.jpg

http://lockwhenlit.com/products.htm

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
It would really depend on the price. I think both games are ok, but nothing special; however I know I would add both (with one being a swappable playfield) if I found them for a decent price. My kids love both games and I know they would get a huge kick out of them. In a larger collection, the games are fun. In a smaller collection, maybe not so much.

Cheers,
Duane

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora

It's kinda high, but if I'm reading that right it comes with two full P2K computers w/ prism card (one for each game). It's also been upgraded to an LCD which is good in that it's more reliable than the CRT long term but you should be aware that these don't look as good with an LCD installed. (that's my own personal opinion, others may disagree) It's also got upgraded speakers and the translight is backlit with LEDs.

It's high, but in today's pricing probably not by too much. If I was seriously interested I might offer $3500 but where he's already come down to $4k I doubt he'll drop that low.

D

Monkeybug

Nov 14, 2012
Stouffville, ON
I owned both at one time and had to sell one due to space/money.

I think RFM is the better overall theme.
I think RFM has longer legs for the majority of the players.
I think SWEP1 has a nicer ambient design (and doesn't suffer from all the dark spots in RFM). Popadiuk is a genius for this.
I think SWEP1 has some interesting features that really hinted at the future of P2K.

Its 50/50. Both would be best.

necro_nemesis

Nov 20, 2012
Newmarket, Ontario. Canada
Monkeybug said:
Its 50/50. Both would be best.

Agree I'd buy both dedicated if your into p2k. Had they gone with the decision of going with generic cab art to launch p2k as planned the pf swap idea made sense but alas again we end up with a compromise of dedicated side art in order to create packages that are going to better serve the short term sales goals of launching p2k. So now you end up in this situation of RFM side art on a SWE1 or vice versa and as Menace stated a cumbersome software conversion likely not warranted for just flipping around a different title at home in the same cab knowing all well you'll likely switch it back shortly to whatever the cab was originally designed for since it appears you have this bastardized game now in your fine collection.

IMHO RFM is by far a better game and has appeal as the sequel to AFM a well received non-licenced theme. SWE1 plagued with too much movie promotion and not enough game and is licensed after one of the worst in the series, Jar Jar common!

As a whole I think RFM and for that matter SWE1 get a bad rap for not being a traditional pinball but they really have a lot of great innovations that get overlooked unless you examine them in detail. The cessation of p2k is a shame. It could have resulted in additional interesting games.

juandylan

Nov 18, 2012
Thorold

Thanks for all the input. The guy parted the RFM out which means I'm out. I wish that the P2k platform could have continued on, it had some fantastic ideas. Space is an issue for me and the idea of taking up less real estate is very intriguing.