• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Getting my first pinball this weekend!

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Well, sort of.

First off, hi everyone, new member here (yes I posted in the other section, but figured Id give another intro here)

Now, for the pinball talk. I am picking up a Rocky & Bullwinkle on Friday, and hope to somehow get it down to my basement without major issue. It seems sub-division builders believe only small things need to get in to basements nowadays. *rant* :x

So, this is my first pinball purchase, but the reason I say sort of is because I grew up with pinballs in the house from my dad. Until moving out last year, we always had machines in the basement, and I was always a fan. Started back in the late 80's with a Close Encounters of the Third Kind and a Sinbad. Shortly after a monster sized (at least to a little kid) Amazing Spiderman was brought in. Spent years playing them until we got some upgrades. Pinbot found its way into the basement, at which point we had four. Sinbad and Close Encounters were soon traded off, and in came Star Wars (loved that game). Amazing Spiderman was next to leave this time without replacement. Star Wars and Pinbot were sold as part of a deal on our old house, and so we moved without machines (still upset to not have Star Wars). After moving, my dad wanted to have some again, so we picked up a Twilight Zone and Demolition Man. A few years later, we added a South Park and Pirates of the Carribean. So now he has 4 again.

As I moved out last year, I have had the urge to buy a machine for a while, but couldn't justify the crazy inflation Ive seen over the years, let alone the fact that moving out is not the cheapest thing in the world.

Anyway, Im excited to be getting a machine this week, I can't wait to pick it up! I hope to slowly build a collection, but first I need to find a career which will be suiting to the financial aspect of pinball ownership.

Cheers!

and, if you TL;DR

Moved out from parents where I had pinball, dont have any now, finally getting one (Rocky & Bullwinkle). :D

tim.sanderson

Nice! And, welcome aboard. ;) R&B is one of the few pins I remember playing in high school. (I was a vid kinda guy back then)
I've got a pretty tight entrance to my basement too... there may be a few dings on the wall when I bring my first machine downstairs next month. :D

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Thx! Hope to learn a lot here and more about the locals.

And, I couldn't help but laugh when you said "I've got a pretty tight entrance to my basement too..." :lol:

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Ive been a forum guy for many years. Until now it was car clubs and offtopic stuff, but I guess Im used to it now.

Monkeybug

Nov 14, 2012
Stouffville, ON
Wrap the game well in shrink wrap. You can buy the big kind at Costco or Staples. It should help protect your walls and your game from getting scuffed.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
meegis said:
I have a roll of skid wrap, hoping it does the trick

6037356986_b44e2510e5_z.jpg
5634963478_3ecd826d41_z.jpg

It works for me every time and rather scratch up my walls then have to re-decal a cab. Also be generous and wrap more around the corners because they take the most abuse from dragging and knocking corners during moves.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
This is awesome... Now we'll all get to see first hand how quickly his collection balloons from 1 to 2, and then to 3 and then to 12. LOL Welcome to the club, it's a slippery slope! Lots of good people here to help when you need it.

Doug

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
When I first met Drano, he said if I can get through the first year with just the 1 pin, I'd be ok.

I had pin #2 a month later. Now after 6 months I have 4, 2 of which were nib. I also just moved a bunch of boxes from my basement to a storage locker to make room for a fifth.

You may want to rethink this!!! :).

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
What are the dimensions of your basement because I am sure your "technical" drawing is probably not to scale :p If your basement is wide enough instead of place a row of 4 pins along the wall with the window you can put 4 on each adjacent wall bringing your max to 8 pins and shift the TV and couches a bit closer to your bar. I have seen arrangement like this where you squeeze in an extra 1-2 more games but when you have a few people over it might start feeling a bit crowded.

8576994055_a5c62524dd_z.jpg

One thing I always like to keep in mind when rearranging my pins is easy access to slide the glass off in case a ball gets stuck or you need to do any sort of work or maintenance to it. Depending on the type of flooring you have, if it is hard wood or ceramic you can get these leg levelers from Marco that have a hard plastic or teflon attach on the bottom. Adam can give you his feedback on these but I tried pushing one of his games forward this past weekend and there was very little resistance.

large.jpg

For carpet you can get these Executive Pin Footsies from Pinball Life

bkp_01.jpg

Also what are those things on the rug closest to the pins? If one of them is a plant then it can go directly under the window for better light and maintain the proper "feng shui" in the room.

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Sadly, I would like to add more to the collection sooner than later, but funding will be the determining factor. The house is barely 11 months old, and the basement unfinished. Having one machine will be easy enough to move around when the time comes to finish it properly, but until then, I will hold back.

Like I said, Im currently between respectable jobs (Im part timing right now) *subtle plea for work* *wink* *nudge* and the fact remains that the machines I want are all easily in the 3500-5500 range (which Im not nearly ready or willing to spend just yet).

I will however be happy to share in the conversations, learn from all of you, and possibly meet up if I decide on joining ToPL. For now I will try to enjoy R&B as much as I can and play more on the pinball arcade app. LoL.

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Timing: 5 weeks until my wedding means evenings are often toast.
Distance: No idea where abouts you all meet (I know its determined in private for homeowners sake) but this also has to do with timing

And I feel bad that I can't offer up a collection for others to enjoy. Dum reason, I know.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
meegis said:
Timing: 5 weeks until my wedding means evenings are often toast.
Distance: No idea where abouts you all meet (I know its determined in private for homeowners sake) but this also has to do with timing

And I feel bad that I can't offer up a collection for others to enjoy. Dum reason, I know.

Wedding I get.

But you being in Woodbridge means you are pretty central to all of our locations, we play in:

Keswick (my place)
Newmarket
Brampton
Mississauga
Georgetown
Ancaster
Ajax

Also nothing to feel bad about, most league members don't have collections large enough to host the league, so that's no excuse.

If you are on facebook, you can join the facebook group and that will keep you up to date on our locations, or head to the website http://www.topl.org and join the yahoo mailing list.