• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Allentown Diaries - Pinheads, Parts and Predator

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
So I can finally scratch my first pinball show off the bucket list :)
After almost 8 years of collecting I made the trip to Pinfest in Allentown with some of the ON boys.

Great experience!
I never attended any StarBurst auctions or any other events prior to this, so it was great to put some faces to you guys. I think meeting many of the Ottawa, London and QC pinheads face to face and hanging out was the highlight for me.

I came home with a whack of parts (sme from the show and others I had shipped in advance) that'll keep me happy for a very long time.
I also entertained grabbing a game and a few add-a-ball gottliebs caught my eye, but in the end decided not to. I had picked up a Bally Special Force in Buffalo on the way down and we spent a couple of nights in the room messign around with that.

Lots of selection overall for the earlybirds and some decent deals.

I got to play WOZ and was not totally horrified by it :lol:

I am also on the pre-order for Predator #3, so this was an especially cool trip. The game showed up for the first time with a printed playfield.
It was still a prototype and rough around the edges, but a blast to play! The guys at SkitB still have a ways to go, but I can't wait.
It's not decked out with tons of toys, but it is a well laid out and fast moving game that has a great sound package, fun modes and tons of features geared around the true player.

Overall, just a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to my first EXPO now!
Thanks to all involved for making this a memorable experience.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 272

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
Brought this over from Pinside's Allentown top 10 list, but I thought it was a worthy add.

1. The road trip. Just getting out of the house for a few days, enjoying the drive down with Drano and Tom, and meeting up with some good friends down there as well. Good music, and I wish I enjoyed the scenery on the way down, but it was kinda dark. I think there were mountains...
2. The pins. Yes, some were having issues, but having been responsible for a pin at another show and the amount of hustle it required just to keep that one up for a couple of days, I understand it completely. I really enjoyed just getting to play at this show.
3. The shopping. Oh, the shopping. I was thinking of bringing back two pins, but I only wound up getting the one...mostly because of the shopping. I didn't have enough money left to get the nice Big Guns I was eyeing...or drooling over.
4. The people. While I mostly met up with people I knew, it was great to see them again. Pinballers in Canada, while a great group of people, are also generally separated by our immense geography. To have so many of them in one place is highly unusual.
5. Jokerz. I had pre-arranged to have this brought to Allentown, and while I'm generally nervous sending money ahead of time, my seller came well-recommended and the pin is in my garage awaiting work. In fact, the new translite for it was waiting for me when I got home, too!
6. Flintstones. Having met one of these Cdn pinballers whom I never had before, I happened to mention that I was looking for one in the show. She happened to mention that she had one for sale. Karma. Sold. Can't wait to get it, it's the last pin on my list (for now), especially since I showed my kids the entire series. Seriously excited about it!
7. Cointaker. I had mentioned the possibility of picking something up to Melissa in an email, and I walked up, just mentioned the machine, and she had everything packed and ready to go, and remembered my name! Awesome service.
8. The pyrohy in the market. Some of the best I've ever had, and that's saying something, since I'm Ukrainian.
9. Pacificopa. Not even in Allentown, but recommended by our hotel. The Scallop and Shrimp dish took these ingredients to a new level.
10. The show in general - a great experience. I'm glad I was able to meet and thank Ivan, even though he didn't have time for more than a few brief words.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
brewmanager said:
8. The pyrohy in the market. Some of the best I've ever had, and that's saying something, since I'm Ukrainian.

How did I forget the Farmer's Market? Oh boy!
Deep fried kolbassa sandwiches and ham & cheese stuffed pretzel wraps! My stomach was thanking and cursing me.

SquidVicious said:
BM,

look at getting the alternate translite for the Flintstones ... one of the TCPL guys put one into his .. much nicer than the original.

Ha Ha!

BM!
probably not the best acronym for poor Walt... think about it :FP:

tkaye

Mar 17, 2013
Ancaster, On
Sounds like a blast. Maybe I can join Adriano, BM and the guys next time!!

Sorry again for the BM handle...lol

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
DRANO said:
BM!

probably not the best acronym for poor Walt... think about it :FP:

Just be glad McMean hasn't made buttons for everyone yet :lol: Too bad at our last March GTG we were all sporting these and Brock couldn't show up.

8714293179_a7bd13b9af_o.jpg

medvet

Nov 28, 2012
Ottawa
SquidVicious said:
BM,

look at getting the alternate translite for the Flintstones ... one of the TCPL guys put one into his .. much nicer than the original.

Walt

Like SquidVicious said and I mentioned in Allentown - here's the one I got and an older link on RGP for the guy

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... 1ad111c4cd

It's excellent quality and nice and bright and colourful without the usual washout of the alternate printings of translights.

ME

Attachments

• Flintstones.jpg
    Flintstones.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 220