• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Tim's Rescue 911 thread

tim.sanderson

I started putting LED's in the playfield this week, but something I've noticed is that when the LEDs are supposed to be off there is a very faint glow that comes out of them. Is this normal, or might it be another symptom of the little driver board issue I still haven't solved yet?

Here's a short video that shows what it looks like in total darkness, then the machine powered up, then when the LEDs light up:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZHJhBGpojU&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
That is known as ghosting. Some games are worse then others. Some players have ZERO tolerance for it. It doesn't bother me.
Strobing is when the led flickers instead of dimming. Also despised by some.

I think premium bulbs don't do it, but cost more. I also think you can but an extra board to get rid of it.

This is caused by tiny voltage in the line that normally wouldn't affect an incandescent bulb (light it up) but is enough to dimly light the led

tim.sanderson

Really? That's what ghosting is? I thought that was when the flickering of the slower LEDs caused your sight of the ball to look like a bad frame rate in a video game...
Huh, the ghosting doesn't really bother me. The increase in brightness and colour combined with the intensity of the flashing makes up for any downside in my eyes! (although the board to get rid of it might be cool, depending on what it costs)

tkaye

Mar 17, 2013
Ancaster, On
tim.sanderson said:
Really? That's what ghosting is? I thought that was when the flickering of the slower LEDs caused your sight of the ball to look like a bad frame rate in a video game...
Huh, the ghosting doesn't really bother me. The increase in brightness and colour combined with the intensity of the flashing makes up for any downside in my eyes! (although the board to get rid of it might be cool, depending on what it costs)

I think you're confusing "ghosting" with "strobing"

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
Menace can chime in here with specifics, but in older Bally games anyway, you can wire a resistor across any lamp socket to remove the flickering. I'm assuming the same sort of thing might be possible for System 3 except I'm wondering if the lamp matrix setup on the Gottliebs will make the ghosting issue worse. Like I said, Doug will confirm or negate this.

For the ghosting, I assume there are several different fixes out there, but there are non-ghosting bulbs relatively cheap ( $1.39) that are guaranteed to remove ghosting on system 3s (or your money back, eh ). Someone here might be able to confirm whether they in fact work.

I hates da ghosting and I hates da flickering.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
g-man said:
Menace can chime in here with specifics, but in older Bally games anyway, you can wire a resistor across any lamp socket to remove the flickering. I'm assuming the same sort of thing might be possible for System 3 except I'm wondering if the lamp matrix setup on the Gottliebs will make the ghosting issue worse. Like I said, Doug will confirm or negate this.

For the ghosting, I assume there are several different fixes out there, but there are non-ghosting bulbs relatively cheap ( $1.39) that are guaranteed to remove ghosting on system 3s (or your money back, eh ). Someone here might be able to confirm whether they in fact work.

I hates da ghosting and I hates da flickering.

Glenn is correct about adding the resistor across the lamp socket in older Bally games but I cannot confirm this can be done in the newer games or not. (I have never tried nor have I even looked into this) I'm going to say it cannot because t's a lamp matrix, whereas the older games are not, but I don't quote me on this.

D

jooky

Nov 18, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Went to stop by and check out Tim's legendary R911 with my kids! Tried to get them to pose with it but was largely unsuccessful. Thanks for having us over!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376186236.911167.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376186236.911167.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 651

tim.sanderson

As I posted in the diaries thread, I added some red LED underglow to the machine.

It was $40 from AA electronics. ($50 if you count the 2a power supply I added to it) I'd like to tap in to power from the pin, but I might hold off on trying that for now.

Attachments

• under glow.jpg
    under glow.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 641

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Thanks again for having us down.

Figured I'd show you a picture of my ball through so you can see the little bar that pops out and holds the balls in place so they don't just flop out on you.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376344327034.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376344327034.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 612

tim.sanderson

I did this mod quite a while back, but forgot to upload the video. With R911, you can only have free play in tourney mode. If you want to play with the regular rules you have to add credits. The max credits you can add is 20. So instead of opening the front door every 20 games, I've added a momentary switch to behind the 2nd coin return slot. I wired it into the credit switch, and voila. :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mx0jv_4vvk&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
Thats pretty slick! On mame builds I usually put a switch behind the coin return button; for insert coin. I like the phantom button idea to keep it clean looking

Nick Hill

Mar 6, 2015
Sweden
Bumping this interesting thread.

I have also bought a Rescue 911 that has some issues to adress...

First off, did anyone of you guys have a PDF of the manual and a lamp schematics.

First, I have several lamps that are missing. For example the beacon lamp are missing so don't know what lamp to get, Im assuming its 12V.

Secondly, I have an issue with the helicopter arm being to slow to get down to pick up the ball?! What could cause this? Bad rubberwheel?!

Third, I also have a brumming background noice from the speakers.

Thanks for any help!