• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Tim's Rescue 911 thread

tim.sanderson

The game is playing fairly well, but it seems there may be a couple of switch issues. There are a couple of shots that cause game play to stop until the ball search finds the ball.
For example, when it drops in to the ball lock up top, it just sort of sits there until it triggers ball search. Then it eventually pops the ball up into the habitrail, and actually locks it. There's another shot that does something similar. I started a police chase, but the ball doesn't pop back into the game until time expires. The ball lock hole is probably the first place to look. :)
There's a short vid of gameplay here:
http://www.multiball.org/2013/05/dmd-fi ... eplay.html

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Put the game into switch test mode and activate EVERY switch manually to verify what switches are not working. If its all random likely bad switches or broke wires on the switch. If you notice a pattern, once you get the manual, like all the bad switches are in the same row or column, you could be looking at a switch maitrix issue.

D

tim.sanderson

I had an opti sensor issue yesterday, but got it cleared up pretty quick. A little alcohol (for me and the sensor) did the trick.
Now a bigger problem. The plastic coupler that joins the motor to the heli arm crumbled due to age last night. I've glued it back together, but I'm going to wrap it in fiberglass before I reinstall it in the machine. If/when it breaks again, I am going to make a coupler that directly joins motor and heli arm.
busted+heli+coupler.jpg

Menace said:
Put the game into switch test mode and activate EVERY switch manually to verify what switches are not working.
This thread has been so informative! So that's how that works. I went into 'switch test', but didn't realize I have to trigger them manually. I can't wait to get the manual. I can only imagine it will make things so much easier!

tim.sanderson

From what I've read so far, it looks like the only way to have the machine on FREE PLAY is if I run the game in Tournament mode. The problem with this is that it's only single player, and your score leaves the display within seconds of finishing a game. Seeing as I do not have coin mechs in, is there a way of fooling it into thinking there have been coins added? I'd rather load the machine up with 20 or 30 'credits', than have it stuck in single player mode.
If that's not possible, I'll install one of the mechs that were floating around inside the cabinet.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Nah, it's a Sys3 game so there must be a non-tournament way to set it to free play. I had a Sys3 Strikes N' Spares that was set to free play. Just wait for the manual to show up, it'll explain it all in there.

D

vinyljunkie67

Apr 14, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Glad to hear you've got it up and running Tim. Not sure about your free play options as I've never owned or worked on a Sys3 game. If you end up out of luck, you could always add a second leaf switch to the start button and wire it to one of the credit switches. That way, everytime you press start, it adds a credit and starts a game without having to drill your cabinet or coin door. Just make sure you insulate the two switches with fish paper. I'm going to take that route with my Black Hole

tim.sanderson

vinyljunkie67 said:
I'm going to take that route with my Black Hole
I'm assuming that's you, Mike?

What do you guys do with the existing bookkeeping info when you bring a machine home? It's cool seeing all the original numbers, but it would be easier to keep track of my own numbers if I reset everything to zero. I made a video as I cycled through the stats, so if I do clear everything, I have a record of what the numbers were:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiTgKzbqcBo&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

tim.sanderson

Also, I'm not exactly sure how to read those numbers. (another thing I'm sure the manual will explain) Most of the stats show two numbers. The ones on the left (no brackets), and the ones on the right (in brackets). Offhand, does anyone know how to read those numbers? In the image below is an example.

Attachments

• tilt warnings.jpg
    tilt warnings.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,264

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Congrats Tim on getting this machine home and up and running! For whatever reason, my better half who doesn't really have much of an interest in pinball, LOVES Rescue 911. She was a life guard when she was younger and the whole "saving lives" thing just seemed to draw her right in.

Saw one of these for sale on Kijiji a little while ago, and that was the only time that she has ever told me to buy a pinball machine... Otherwise she is pretty much indifferent.

I'm glad to be part of the club, even as a NOOB! I'm sure you feel the same! Enjoy the machine! Can't wait to see more of the progress!

tim.sanderson

My top kicker has stopped kicking. I tried to trigger it via the self test, but it did nothing. I don't know if this is an accurate way to test it but I tried testing the continuity between both of the contacts, and got nothing. When I do similar tests on the other coils, I get a reading showing me there's continuity.
I've checked fuses, they all seem to be OK. Is this something that's even able to be repaired, or should I just buy a new one? Pinball Resource has them, but I'd have to wait for the delivery.

Maybe I'll order some, and see if someone has one locally. If they're able to part with one until I receive mine in the mail, it might get me running faster.

Tim

Attachments

• A16570 -lg.jpg
    A16570 -lg.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,222