• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Why does the P3 get no love?

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
I was curious what they were up to so I went to their site. Things are moving along, but I did read a post from them saying they are behind on their funding goals so things are moving more slowly than they would like.

I'm not sure myself why the P3 doesn't get more attention. It is a definite disruptive technology, with great potential, but definitely seems to be missing something that gets people excited.

I doubt that they've presold the 125 machines jpop has sold with Zombie. let alone 250 of the Predator's, which is dated dmd technology. and obviously JJP has presold 1000+ WOZ and hundreds of Hobbit with far less shown.

They've got an AAA designer with Nordman.

So why do you think people are generally meh about the whole thing when people have otherwise gotten on board other projects that have shown far less?

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
I think price plays a factor. I think it's over $10K once shipping is factored in and, unlike, JP there isn't an extreme limited number. With JP, you are getting a very, very small run and you are involved in the process. With P3, the technology looks cool, but I think the high price is a turn off for most collectors.

Cheers,
Duane

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I think Duane is on the right track, coupled with an unproven technology whereas the other guys are basing their games on a proven format that works so buying into those doesn't seem as risky? Dunno...

D

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
For me personally, it's the little things. 3D art that looks dated, doesn't excite me. A lot of the prototype stuff, like cabinet, which I understand is just to house their tech demos, but again it doesn't excite me.

When I compare it with the art I see coming out of jpop's workshop, no comparison. Jpop definitely seems to be the spiritual descendant of the Williams way (forgetting the P2000 experiment).

The technology itself is really cool, definitely going to make things possible which are not possible currently, more than just adding a color LCD to a pin.

I also think, the Limited Edition trend with some of these projects DOES work... it forces people to act. So when you are working on something that will be widely available down the road, it limits the pre-orders you will get today.

Dunno, I wish I were more excited about it, just asking myself why I'm not. I guess we'll see what happens come expo since apparently they'll be much further along and not showing it until then.