• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Where to get 32V fuses on the weekend?

tim.sanderson

Tried the one by me. They only had 220v. I also hit AA electronics, I grabbed most of my fuses there today, but they didn't have any 32v in stock. I might have to wait until Tuesday to hit up Starburst.

Is 32v a common rating? Should I be able to find that at Canadian Tire or something?

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Get the 250 volts type.
For fuse replacements, you need to use the same current and speed as the original one (10A, fast or slow blow depending on the circuit),
but you always can go higher in voltage, not lower - e.g. OK to replace a 32V by a 125 or 250 volt one.

- Sylvain.

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Thanks all.

The technical reason for this is the following:

- when the fuse blows due to the too high current through it for its rating (e.g. the fuse blows for protecting the circuit
as intended), the fuse element inside the glass has to open with a gap wide enough to *stop* the current flow,
otherwise arcing could occur, and the current could still flow across the blown fuse.

Update: A 32V fuse is guaranteed to stop current flow when 32V or lower are at its ends after it blows,
while a 250V fuse will stop current flow when 250V or lower voltage are at its ends when the fuse blows.
So, it is safe to use a 250V fuse to replace a 32V one, providing you supply the same current and speed fuse as the original.

The 32V fuses are fine for low-voltage applications in pinball such as GI, but for high voltage for displays and for solenoids
it is better to use the 250V fuse voltage rating ones.

Cheers,
- Sylvain.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Yep, Syl nailed it. And to expand a bit on what he posted in terms of the technical aspect, the 250V fuse when blown will leave a larger gap between the two ends of the elements than a 32V will, and this is to ensure if you have a high voltage circuit there is no arching across the gap of the blown element. :)

Glad everyone seems to be enjoying the site. :)

D