• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Vewlix Clone MAME/Console Project

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
If you don't have any amp now and want to save a few bucks you could get something like a tda 7297 series amp or similar. It won't have the "fancy" case but since it's in a cab it may not matter to you anyway.

They are very simple and small but perfect for this use and usually only around $2-3. I've used them in a few cabs with good success.
72ef99f5305c00d80b3abff8b0edc426.jpg

Reactions: mwong168

mR_CaESaR

Nov 1, 2017
Sydney
Yeah I've ordered those type of amps before for a few other projects. Dirt cheap, does the job.

I ended up ordering a lepy for about 20 bux AUD, so it's not too bad.

I'll just power it up via the power supply too or the jamma harness since I'll be keeping the jamma component.

Currently weighing up options for chewlix #2 - either go direct from alibaba or find a local retailer..

mR_CaESaR

Nov 1, 2017
Sydney
mRCaESaR said:
Finally, I now have an urge to purchase another one to make into 2x 1p setups (already purchased a 1P panel). I'm just wondering if anyone has linked two cabinets up?

So the urge didn't take long! I've now put a deposit for a second cab and I'm hoping towards mid to late month I'll have it! :D :D :D

The whole experience is much better with two!

Using some old kit I had, I tested having one source with two outputs and as you can see from the video (apologies for the horrible lighting, it's quite dark in the garage), she worked like a treat!

I was initially scared about "lag" on the Chewlix monitor, but my non-scientific testing showed me that I can still link 1f combos in USF4 so it can't be too laggy :) ie. It's good enough for me!

Took a while to land the FADC, but I eventually got there :D :D

And some SFV. Excuse the scrubiness, it's been about a year since I last turned this on, the Chewlix purchase was enough to give it life again! :)

Now I need to purchase another 1P panel and some Brook UFBs!

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Its a great board and sure the competitive Street Fighter players love it too. The only issue I am experiencing with it on my PC is sometimes I have to unplug and plug back in for it to detect properly. Not sure why and maybe I will update to latest firmware from Brook website and see.

mR_CaESaR

Nov 1, 2017
Sydney
I've used it since release. It's in 3 of my sticks lol.

If you wired it up by their recommendation, press and hold HP (3p) when plugging it in. This should make the pcb be seen as a 360 controller and that's the most compatible for pc I believe

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
If you wired it up by their recommendation, press and hold HP (3p) when plugging it in. This should make the pcb be seen as a 360 controller and that's the most compatible for pc I believe

I will give that a try and see if it helps but if it worked on PC since last time then I don't see why it sometimes doesn't recognize on next boot up. It doesn't always happen and no big deal as sometimes it takes a few tries of unplugging and plugging for it to work. Perhaps it is a windows 7 thing?

mR_CaESaR

Nov 1, 2017
Sydney
but if it worked on PC since last time then I don't see why it sometimes doesn't recognize on next boot up.

Yeah you're right. If it worked perfectly fine, it should always work. That being said, it's a Windows computer :)

Try forcing it as a MS Controller and you may have better compatibility, the problem with that though is you may have to redo you key mapping because the computer will see it as a you device. I haven't delved much into Hyperspin or a PC setup, so I can't really be too much of a help - maybe in a few months when I do my HS build :D(I've got a Dell Optiplex 990 SFF Intel i5 2500 with 8GB of ram waiting to be used - hoping it's enough to run hyperspin and taito x2 games)

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
That's plenty enough to run most MAME roms and Hyperspin. Brad808 can probably chime in on the Taito X2 hardware requirements.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
That's plenty enough to run most MAME roms and Hyperspin. Brad808 can probably chime in on the Taito X2 hardware requirements.
Yes any i5 processor is more than enough for the TTX games that have been released. The requirements to run them are small. Old core2duos and Pentium 4s basically (obviously not recommended because age). Just get a reasonably decent Nvidia card (well maybe graphics issues have since been fixed for ATI) but even those only require fairly old hardware.

mR_CaESaR

Nov 1, 2017
Sydney
Just get a reasonably decent Nvidia card (well maybe graphics issues have since been fixed for ATI) but even those only require fairly old hardware

When you say decent, I'm assuming on-board video doesn't qualify right? :)

I'll see what I can fit, since it'd need to be half height due to the case's form factor, I'm also not sure if there's a spot for two slots. I'm also assuming that I don't need a GTX 1050 ti? I'm hoping something from the previous generation or a GT 1030 will suffice.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
When you say decent, I'm assuming on-board video doesn't qualify right? :)

I'll see what I can fit, since it'd need to be half height due to the case's form factor, I'm also not sure if there's a spot for two slots. I'm also assuming that I don't need a GTX 1050 ti? I'm hoping something from the previous generation or a GT 1030 will suffice.
A 1030 is again plenty for these games. Here is the system specs of the x2 http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=903. If you match or are above that then you are good to go :). Since they are just PC's (low spec ones by today's standards) running PC games you only need the same requirements.

mR_CaESaR

Nov 1, 2017
Sydney
So I've been in talks with a local designer/printer and look what he's come up with for me!?

He originally had the vewlix f colour scheme, but I asked if there was a way to use the vewlix c colour scheme and after ordering in a special vinyl, here's what the final product looks like!

Fy6V0nZ.jpg

PDeoRef.jpg

Tb303tz.jpg

iWxnKUV.jpg

I'll post more pics when I apply the vinyl

mR_CaESaR

Nov 1, 2017
Sydney
Got a nice little parcel yesterday! :)

The JLF bracket fits like a glove.

However, like my 2P control panel, the height is not correct from the base of the top of the CP to the base of the ball head

30mm - slightly too high.

Rather than making an acrylic spacer, I use used the nuts it came with as the spacer and got some additional m4 nuts to secure the JLF bracket. Worked out good as I had no more thread :)

Voila! 25mm from the base of the CP to the base of the ball top!!

As best as I could replicate the Vewlix C colour scheme

The before pic of the 2P CP

The new 1P CP! :)

I'm hoping the following will arrive soon:

- Toslink to 3.5mm DAC
- External Amp
- Molex harness parts so I can wire up the PCB

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Where did you order that 1p control panel from and do you know where I could get those panels above next to the coin chute? The ones where I mounted the spinner on mine. I would like to have an extra blank set in case I ever want to revert mine.

mR_CaESaR

Nov 1, 2017
Sydney
@mwong168 - I haven't actually tested it out and I noticed you're a bit of a SHMUPS fan, have you tested rotating the screen? Is it possible on these clones without too much modification?