• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Tilt bob placement

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Most of my pins never had them installed, but I'd like to put them in. Is there a standard?

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Well, I meant more of where the bob itself is hanging. how far or high up should it be?

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
That pic is fairly liberal... Which I like as well.
But.... if you have a few bruisers coming over to play, just jack those puppies up nice and high :D

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
You have to play around with it for a while to get the right height. If you get frustrated playing, lower it to let you get away with more. If people can start walking your machines across the room, it's probably a little too liberal.

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Like Drano and Chris said, adjust the tilt bob to your style and the style you want your guests to use.

I'm always curious why people set their tilts liberally and then tell you to "take it easy" when you start to nudge their machines. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about practicing your death saves as a guest in someones house. I'm talking about nudging without even receiving warnings or at worst taking one or two.

Anyone else out there think that setting a loose tilt and then verbally warning people is a strange practice? Is there some other logic behind this that I don't understand?

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
bstock said:
Anyone else out there think that setting a loose tilt and then verbally warning people is a strange practice? Is there some other logic behind this that I don't understand?

They probably prefer a looser tilt bob setting for themselves and maybe just too lazy to adjust for guests coming over and then having to re-adjust back to their own preference afterwards. I personally don't tilt or really nudge my games although one time brewmanager gave my Roadshow a pretty good shake and shifted the receiver I have on top of the head forward :eek: Good thing he was on his last ball because I'm pretty sure the next ball the receiver probably would have fallen into my playfield :lol:

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
mwong168 said:
bstock said:

They probably prefer a looser tilt bob setting for themselves and maybe just too lazy to adjust for guests coming over and then having to re-adjust back to their own preference afterwards.

^^^THIS^^^ :)

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Good thing he was on his last ball because I'm pretty sure the next ball the receiver probably would have fallen into my playfield

I've seen this happen with boxes stacked on the heads of machines (thankfully empty), so this is one reason why I don't store anything on top of my games. Even toppers have to be well attached-I don't want anything falling off, or worse, falling off and breaking the glass.

As for tilt settings, I've started trying to get better at nudging, and trying to prevent things earlier than the outlane shake or center drain slide save. I might try setting some of the tilts tighter though-I've noticed that the nuts on them start loosening off over time.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Semi related but out of curiosity how many warnings do you guys set before a Tilt? I'm 1 warning.

Sent from my Nexus 4

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
I like a tight tilt myself. I WILL push the machine as hard as it will allow me to. As far as I'm concerned that is playing by the rules. I have mine set up for 2 warnings. Anything more than your average slap save will give you one, if not two warnings. When you're not on your game it can be frustrating, but it forces you to make shots and really control your nudging.