• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Should Classifieds be closed for comments other then Original Poster/Seller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
Everyone if you don't have any interest in buying this game please keep comments to yourself.

Instead of telling people they are not allowed to discuss or have an opinion in a public discussion forum…. Why not make the classifieds section closed to comments all together? Only the OP can add comments, modify or mark as sold. Somewhat like Kijiji…. Pinside also has that option to prevent comments. Not sure your forum software can support though.

Reactions: luch and Quatermass

ritewhereiwant2b

Dec 22, 2013
Oakville
Instead of telling people they are not allowed to discuss or have an opinion in a public discussion forum…. Why not make the classifieds section closed to comments all together? Only the OP can add comments, modify or mark as sold. Somewhat like Kijiji…. Pinside also has that option to prevent comments. Not sure your forum software can support though.
Id be ok with that, but, I do appreciate when Im concidering buying a game and then someone I know pipes into a thread saying person is a good seller, proceed with confidences, etc. As well, we havent seen it for a while, but when a scammer posts with a low price, for newbies here (I was once one) it is great to see long term collectors advising to stay away. Both of which bring a sense of community to PR. and when someone bitches about a price or whatever, we know, thanks to Chambahz, that they deserve nothing more than and bag of d----!

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto

I think there is this option but the original owner of the site Brock had created these rules and first line states this:

I don't plan on setting too many rules here.. we're adults, we don't need rules. ;) The only RULE that we will enforce is that there will be no slandering in the FS sections. If you don't like the seller, the item or the price, then don't buy it. :) I'd say that's more common courtesy than a "rule".

You are right and this is a public discussion forum but I think I've seen more positives then negatives over the past decade in having some chatter in people's for sale threads (see ritewhereiwant2b's post above). I know if the classifieds were closed to discussion it would make my life much easier to only have to clean up and lock up SOLD threads.

Pin_Fandango

Dec 29, 2020
Ottawa
Id be ok with that, but, I do appreciate when Im concidering buying a game and then someone I know pipes into a thread saying person is a good seller, proceed with confidences, etc. As well, we havent seen it for a while, but when a scammer posts with a low price, for newbies here (I was once one) it is great to see long term collectors advising to stay away. Both of which bring a sense of community to PR. and when someone bitches about a price or whatever, we know, thanks to Chambahz, that they deserve nothing more than and bag of d----!
I am not keen on hijacking nor posting in for sale ads, there is no need to debate. My thought below and apologies in advance for this.

I actually just wrote a long post on my opinion on this but in a nutshell, just like this very same comment: all comments must be removed and for sale ADS should be rated AFTER the transaction was done.
That will filter both the bad sellers and the liars very quickly.

Pin_Fandango

Dec 29, 2020
Ottawa
I think there is this option but the original owner of the site Brock had created these rules and first line states this:

I don't plan on setting too many rules here.. we're adults, we don't need rules. ;) The only RULE that we will enforce is that there will be no slandering in the FS sections. If you don't like the seller, the item or the price, then don't buy it. :) I'd say that's more common courtesy than a "rule".

You are right and this is a public discussion forum but I think I've seen more positives then negatives over the past decade in having some chatter in people's for sale threads (see ritewhereiwant2b's post above). I know if the classifieds were closed to discussion it would make my life much easier to only have to clean up and lock up SOLD threads.
sorry but this was a very lazy approach, perhaps realistic when the forum had 50 members.
It has been proven that people do not know how to behave in for sale ad and need to voice their unwarranted opinion on someone else's property.
It is ridiculous and expecting it to change seems counterproductive - as you can see clearly here -

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I thought we should stop hijacking pinballjah's JJP GNR for sale post. I'm going to move all relevant comments from that thread here if you guys want to continue the discussion. I'm sure Warlock and Derek our local webexpert will chime in to let us know if it is possible to restrict comments in classified.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
sorry but this was a very lazy approach, perhaps realistic when the forum had 50 members.
It has been proven that people do not know how to behave in for sale ad and need to voice their unwarranted opinion on someone else's property.
It is ridiculous and expecting it to change seems counterproductive - as you can see clearly here -

I think in past 10 years of regulating these forums I can count on one hand number of actual regular user that would stir the pot in classifieds. I agree and wish there was a way to rate a transaction after it is done or if each used can have a BST rating under their profile on the left.

Reactions: Pin_Fandango

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I don't think everyone is angry. Sarcastic, perhaps.

I too appreciate comments and questions when looking at a listing. It would be shame to get rid of them because of the odd post.

If comments were turned off we would have never had this infamous for sale thread by Chambahz here:

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
I think in past 10 years of regulating these forums I can count on one hand number of actual regular user that would stir the pot in classifieds. I agree and wish there was a way to rate a transaction after it is done or if each used can have a BST rating under their profile on the left.

Times have also changed. 10-15 years ago we had about 80% collectors and 20% folks only in it for profit. I think we now have more of the latter.

As was stated already in this thread, we were all noobs at some point and it would be a shame to let a noob get scammed by overpaying. Leave the profiteering in the FB marketplace and let’s all treat each other with respect here. Goes both ways. Sellers respect us and we will respect sellers!

Saltimbanco

May 24, 2020
National Capital Region
Yes, should be closed. Someone is selling, that's that. I find that because the comments are open, it does sometime bring a lot of confusion or animosity.

However, we can openly discuss prices on this forum via other thread(s). This is a forum dedicated to the hobby after all. We should feel free to discuss anything from flippers to bad attitude from sellers or buyers. But not on an actual 'For Sale' or 'For Trade' post.

Having said that, my pet peeves about the current seller's thread:

1) Sellers removing prices.

Even on most major forums, you can still look at previous selling points, etc. Gives a sense of the value. I don't want to overpay a game nor undersell, so I tend to look at what's been done in the past. The ability to modify a post way after it's been posted seems to be the issue here. Even on Pinside, there's a time limit.

2) Removing any trace of the transactions, sometimes even removing pics.

I get it some folks want to keep their business private: then don't use a public forum to advertise! Remember, you're using an avatar, so what's the harm?

3) Members asking to delete threads altogether.

Sometimes because they were involved in some heated exchanges, probably they'd like everything to just magically disappear. Sorry, but if you weren't courteous of if you were called on a bad deal, for flipping a game, or trying to sell a game that isn't that minty, too bad if you got caught! Too bad if you decided to participate in some nasty exchanges! I won't want to deal with you in the future, so it should be seller's/buyer's beware. Or else, this is just Kijiji.

4) Price police. Varies hugely depending if someone is selling or looking to buy (one day, the same PinRever can be a police, the next day be against it because now.. selling!)

My opinions, but lately the level of people NOT being courteous - it's not cool!!! There's a lot of keyboard warriors out there, this is not what the hobby is all about.

P.s. everyone that sold me a game in the past, you were excellent! Everything was as described, you all made the transactions easy. Should always be a smooth process! I had no regrets after getting a game, no hidden flaw after the fact. I thank you for that! You know who you are! :)

Let's hope everyone will have smooth transactions in their future!

Last edited:
Reactions: Quatermass

IVPinball

Jul 22, 2013
Toronto
I'd leave it open. There really isn't that much bs going on, it's a pretty friendly forum. Certainly not bad enough for censorship? A lot of comments are useful/supportive. Add another moderator if it's too much work perhaps?

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
This is a forum. We share info. together.
We are open to all comments and opinions.

You will be called out if you are "out of line". (Indeed)
You will answer to all the members that participate here.

We don't police.
We do participate.

All the best.
Cheers. Salut.

Reactions: mwong168

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
I added another post to this; then deleted it. (I do that)
I thought about whom may add something pertinent to it.

I received a PM about locking this thread; so it is open again now.
If you feel the need to add something to the discussion; then go for it.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
OK. I have had enough of this. This is a collector's forum. This is not Kijiji or Pinside at all.
It is a collector's forum where we help each other out in our pinball hobby; buying, selling, fixing.

Reactions: Pharoah007

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Indeed. We all comment online in order to help each other out and support good buyers and sellers here.

Reactions: Pharoah007

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
With all due respect, this site has thousands of members here and on MAACA.
Members can voice their concerns on all threads, for sale or otherwise.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Times have also changed. 10-15 years ago we had about 80% collectors and 20% folks only in it for profit. I think we now have more of the latter.

As was stated already in this thread, we were all noobs at some point and it would be a shame to let a noob get scammed by overpaying. Leave the profiteering in the FB marketplace and let’s all treat each other with respect here. Goes both ways. Sellers respect us and we will respect sellers!
Most of the members here are still collectors, members and friends. We warn noobs as best we are able to.
Locking threads and limiting responses on for sale ads won't better anything for anyone, except the seller of it.

If sellers want to sell uninhibited, go somewhere else. That isn't here. We are a forum whom communicate with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.