• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Shop question

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
I'm preparing to completely top and bottom shop my Black Knight.

Just wondering - the last time I did this I worked with the playfield still in the cabinet.

This time I have the space available to pull it and put it on a rotisserie. Seems like the way to go, but I thought I'd ask.

Any thoughts on pros and cons here?

Thanks!

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Unless you are planning to pull of a bunch of the under playfield assemblies it might not be worth the extra work to remove the playfield from the machine.

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
Take apart, clean, replace sleeves, reassemble under the playfield.

I was thinking it might be easier to do that in the rotisserie, especially since I have big stubby fingers and poor fine motor skills. :)

My gross motor, on the other hand....

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Yea then I don't see a downside, the only other downside is, fully populated playfields are heavy! If you don't have someone to help, it's going to be a struggle getting it out on your own.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Don't forget you need to disconnect the playfield harness from the backbox boards too in order to pull the playfield out as well. There probably aren't as many connectors as say a WPC but at least 12-15 I would think. Anyways, I think if you have easy access from either side of the machine it might not be so bad with it not being on a rotisserie Walt.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
mwong168 said:
Don't forget you need to disconnect the playfield harness from the backbox boards too in order to pull the playfield out as well. There probably aren't as many connectors as say a WPC but at least 12-15 I would think. Anyways, I think if you have easy access from either side of the machine it might not be so bad with it not being on a rotisserie Walt.

It's much less then 12 - 15 in a Blackknight, I'd say it's less then 10 connectors. maybe as few as like 5 - 8.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Vengeance said:
It's much less then 12 - 15 in a Blackknight, I'd say it's less then 10 connectors. maybe as few as like 5 - 8.

Sounds like a modern day Stern :) I remember when I removed the head on my XM Pro there wasn't that many connectors. Either way Walt just label them with a sharpie and masking tape and you should be good to go.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Only time I pull a pf and toss on a 'tisserie is when I'm doing a full on restoration or pf swap. If it's just a shop job then I find the extra time and effort required to get a pf on a rotisserie just isn't worth it, and staying in the cab is good enough.

This is just my personal preference, your mileage may vary.

D