• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Princess Auto Electric Hoist 220/440LB

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
How do you haul a pin out of a basement with one of these? I have the same model in my garage that I use to put things up in the loft with.

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I plan to mount it on the ceiling at the top of the stairs. Put the pinball on a two wheel dolly, connect the hook to the handle end. Press the button and let the hoist do all the work while I guide the pin. At the top of my staircase it is quite narrow and hard to maneuver, but with the hoist I could lift the pin right off the ground and spin it in mid-air then set it back down. After that I just wheel it into the garage.

The most difficult part for me is getting the pin up and down the stairs. The rest is pretty easy. I am going to make a fold-able wooden ramp with wooden guiderails to lock the dolly wheels in position and keep the pin centered as the hoist pulls the pin up the stairs.

My 'grand design' is to make this work similar to a drive-in car wash.

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
Ok, I can sort of visualize that. One word of caution. This hoist is only rated for 440lbs when you double up the cable (ie not hanging straight down). Just make sure you have a long enough cable when it’s doubled up for what you plan to do.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Here is some food for thought and another application for an electric winch. Honestly the amount of time it probably takes to set this all up you could probably just get it up his pretty straight stair case with a friend an appliance dolly.

http://www.edcheung.com/album/album06/Pinball/totan.htm#winch

t_bal.jpg

t_door.jpg

t_bottom.jpg

t_rig.jpg

t_winch.jpg

t_top.jpg

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Ok, I can sort of visualize that. One word of caution. This hoist is only rated for 440lbs when you double up the cable (ie not hanging straight down). Just make sure you have a long enough cable when it’s doubled up for what you plan to do.
Yep, I already took that into account. Doubled-up the cable is 19ft but I only need 18ft. I could always extend it with a decent strap too.

Here is some food for thought and another application for an electric winch. Honestly the amount of time it probably takes to set this all up you could probably just get it up his pretty straight stair case with a friend an appliance dolly.

http://www.edcheung.com/album/album06/Pinball/totan.htm#winch

t_bal.jpg

t_door.jpg

t_bottom.jpg

t_rig.jpg

t_winch.jpg

t_top.jpg
I thought my idea was overkill but this one seems way beyond what even what I'm planning on doing. Those steps seem wider that typical basement steps and there's maybe 10 there and it's straight out all the way? So all I would need is a tri-wheel dolly, a mature tree planted in a near perfect location, and then I'd still have to bolt the electric hoist into a wall or something and either remove it or protect it from the elements. I'll pass...

That tri-wheel dolly would not work on my staircase. I have a very small landing at the top and the angle requires you to pretty much stand the pin on end as you bring it up.