• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Polk 10" subwoofer on sale for $99 at FutureShop

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
It's a bit much for tspp, I find. However, my WH20 sounds so nice hooked up to one of these it's ridonkulous. I might just pick up a 2nd one at this price and move the cheapie to grand lizard.

Thanks for sharing it!

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
there's also free shipping on it.

Nick Angel had 6 of his pins connected to 1 subwoofer, through a mixer. I was thinking about doing something similar.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
well, mixers are one of those things you can probably find somewhere for free, or cheap used.

I have an old 2 channel one that I'm going to use to run 2 games into the subwoofer to start.

The subwoofer's placement in the room doesn't matter, so it makes sense to just mix multiple games together rather than buying a whole bunch of subwoofers.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Well, all I know is what I saw at Nick's, and he had 6 games running at the same time. AC/DC was thumping the whole time, his AFM was hooked up to it, so all the martian blasts and explosions were coming through, etc.

That's the point of a mixer, to mix down to a single channel. Think of a movie, it is made for 5 or more speakers, but you can still watch it on a mono television set.

Anyhow, I bought the speaker, so today I have to pull out my mixer and I'm going to put Tron, and either ac/dc or maybe Avengers into the second input and let 'er rip.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Thanks for sharing frolic, I will probably go pick one up during my lunch at the Futureshop down the street. The website shows they have stock so hopefully it is accurate.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
I've had one of these on my Tron for some time, it's a GREAT mod (and one of the cheaper mods for the game when you think about it). Really works well with the Daft Punk music.

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Thanks, Frolic. I'm going to grab one at lunch and start hunting for a mixer. Love that idea. Wonder what the max amount that could be hooked up to one sub?

Cheers,
Duane

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
you're welcome.

I've been thinking of a sub for a while, this is the best price I've seen. It's funny how this IS one of the best bangs for the buck mods going.

I would think if you ran too many inputs into it, at some point it would just become muddy, from trying to generate too much bass for too many things and it never ends.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
frolic said:
I would think if you ran too many inputs into it, at some point it would just become muddy, from trying to generate too much bass for too many things and it never ends.

This would only be the case if you had lots of games playing at once right? The only game I am interested in this sub for is mainly Tron cause of the music soundtrack is awesome on it. Chris next time you see Nick Angel at TOPL you mind asking him where he got his from? I saw it was sitting on top of his AFM when I was there last.

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
REVOLUTION said:
I've had one of these on my Tron for some time, it's a GREAT mod (and one of the cheaper mods for the game when you think about it). Really works well with the Daft Punk music.

It was Brock's Tron that got me thinking about this - mine was never quite the same without the sub, I wonder if I'd still have it if I'd gotten around to adding this back then.

It's really increased my enjoyment of Whitewater - the sound which was kind of meh before is much better with the deep bass.

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
Well thanks for forcing me into this guys ! :FP:

I am trying to maintain a buying freeze while I save up for Metallica.

So much for that, what the hell.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
:lol: I always forget how opposite I am on the spectrum from most collectors, I guess it just comes from the volume of games I currently have.

When I think of spending $100 of my collection, I think about what machines need flipper rebuilds, do I have any ramps that are cracked, what is in desperate need of a shop job. But there was a time when I actually cared about modding my machine as my TZ (which is one of my longest standing machines) actually has one of Elio's old speaker upgrade kits with sub woofer. But once you get 30 machines going at once, any little extra clarity it added gets lots in the sea of noise that is my gameroom.

Enjoy you subwoofers guys I've still got Centaur to tweak to get ready for TOPL on Monday :mrgreen:

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
This is the mixer I have that I used to use for mixing microphone and ipod, but will work for this:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-502-XEN ... m_sbs_MI_1

I can't recall what I paid for mine back in the day, but its $40 US there, so just shows you they can be had for cheap.

No mixer is necessary if you just run a line from your game direct to the sub. it is powered and has a volume knob.

I still have to hook this all up, so I'll report how it goes when I've done it.

Nick is hosting Topl playoffs in a few weeks so that will be the next time I'll be able to see what he's doing.