• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Pinball Expo '99

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
I like this final line:

Gary Stern - the future of pinball lies in your hands. Don't drop it.

Gary ended up doing a decent job all these years. Might not be the risk taker some people might like, but he managed to keep the 1 factory going and kept the fire stoked for this pinball renaissance so many years later.

I was checking out the trailer for the movie http://www.thespaceinvaders.org/, about classic arcade collectors, and I was thinking one of the BIG differences between us pinheads and the arcade guys is that we still get new games! Such a big thing to be involved with something that isn't all about 20+ year old machines.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
A lot of those vids can easily be replace with one cabinet running MAME with a "franken-panel" or if you want something less cluttered you could design the cab with swappable control panels. The only games I see MAME struggle with to recreate the same "feel" due to controls are driving games such as Pole Position or more recent ones like Gauntlet Legends which stutter like crazy no matter what hardware you throw at it. Also I find with video games it gets boring once you learn the pattern and they are a pain in the ass to move and take up precious pinball space :)

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
That was indeed a great read - coming to the hobby late, I've caught up on a lot of this history, but love finding new stuff! Thanks Brock for posting!

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
In my opinion, Stern did a great job. Sure they get bashed for some of their games and incomplete code. But when you're the only one stepping up to the plate you are the only target, so of course there is going to be negative feedback.

Could they have used some better components at times, or worked a little longer on software before releasing games? Sure they could have. But it comes down to money, and a very limited market. With that taken into consideration, I say kudos to Stern for pumping out games for this many years when no one else was.

My hope is that once some of these competitors start shipping games out the door and increasing the number of production titles, us pinheads will start to see even better and more innovative products than ever before. Perhaps even some price competition! (HAHA! I know, wishful thinking. I won't hold my breath...)

This was an excellent read and the pictures were eye opening. I'm just a young pup, so I wasn't around to really know or understand who or what Williams/Bally was or what they represented when they were still alive. For me the only new games I ever remember seeing were Stern games at the cinemas. That being said, Stern did a good job introducing me to the hobby.

Ben