• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Pinball Arcade losing all William's and Bally tables

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
It sucks now that you can no longer play anymore Williams pins while on the road or on the can :D

For those who use this as a way to try out a Williams title before you go hunting/buying there is Visual Pinball X aka VPX for short. You can play VPX in desktop mode like this:

If you monitor has a stand where it can rotate you can play in full screen like this:

VPX is very easy to setup these days as the new all in one installer does all the work for you compared the old days of VP9. I've built a few full sized cabs in the past but sold them to make room for real pinball. But I've got the itch to make one again because the new VPX tables look and play much better than VP9. Here are just a few other full screen WPC examples that were made a few weeks ago:

Reactions: kvoxx

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
You can also enjoy playing newer Stern games too as well as 80's solid state and EM's too.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
The VPX community even managed to re-create and crack rom support for Stern Ghostbusters LE. But it got shut down by Farsight few days after it was released. It was probably due to the VPX version not only playing better but also looking better to Farsight's version too! Thankfully I have the table and other required files saved before they got removed. You can see how it looks and play here:

Stay tuned for a few project build threads I will be posting up in the next few weeks.

Evilpenguinj

Mar 19, 2018
Newmarket
I am thinking of making one of these too. I would like to make a mini sized one. One that could fit a 22 inch playfield. Just don't have the woodworking skills!!

dnewman

Oct 29, 2013
Newmarket
Just to clarify... From the original link:

"FarSight has stated that previous owners of the tables will be able to play them indefinitely."

So it's not as though you will lose tables that you've paid for, but rather that you will not be able to buy any of them after June 30th.

Evilpenguinj

Mar 19, 2018
Newmarket
Mwong168, how do you get Visual Pinball to display like the first video you have there of Scared Stiff. Whenever I load a table on my desktop, you can't see the backbox like you see in that video. Is that only a VPX thing, or can VP9 display the table like that.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Mwong168, how do you get Visual Pinball to display like the first video you have there of Scared Stiff. Whenever I load a table on my desktop, you can't see the backbox like you see in that video. Is that only a VPX thing, or can VP9 display the table like that.

I'm not sure and never tried the FSS (full single screen) mode in VPX. It looks like you need to be running VPX beta version 10.3 or up and this feature isn't available in VP9. There is an entire thread about it here you can read about it:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=37133&page=1