• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

FS "Not Mine" Pinball Machines For Sale

ibjeepin

Sep 18, 2013
Toronto
Wow. The world of "what it might be" thinks it is something different than the reality of "what it really is". (Good luck?)
No judgement. Just a simple statement. You can't even begin to think about the work and efforts many of us have made. Means nada now.

It is ir·rel·e·vant. It means nothing anymore. It is all "it is what it is" based on "perceived" current market value. That is all as Brock (TM) says.

Sounds like someone may have been drinking and texting late friday! :p

EVH

Feb 14, 2014
Mississauga
Ebay sucks.
If more than one want the pin and are prepared to pay more on Kijiji so be it. I can't see why anyone would not understand that the seller would want to get the most money for his/her game?

Reactions: kevin the 1984 kid

ibjeepin

Sep 18, 2013
Toronto
If more than one want the pin and are prepared to pay more on Kijiji so be it. I can't see why anyone would not understand that the seller would want to get the most money for his/her game?

The most money is relative. Just add to that the words "unscrupulous" and "stupid people with more money than brains" and I will agree with you. Like this....

If stupid people with more money than brains want the pin and are prepared to pay more on Kijiji so be it. I can't see why anyone would not understand that the unscrupulous seller would want to get the most money for his/her game?

"amoral" would also suffice.

Caveat Emptor f' that old shit, FOMO is the new thing.

Reactions: websherpa

Aunt Agnes

Nov 5, 2015
Kitchener, Ontario
I understand people wanting to get the most money they can, but if they want more just ask for more in the first place. If someone posts something for sale at X amount then obviously they are saying I would be happy with this amount.

I've read on here people getting screwed out of something because of sellers pitting one potential buyer against the next bumping up the price that they listed it at that they obviously were happy if they got or they wouldn't have posted it at that price in the first place. Do I thinks that's a fair and decent practice, nope; however, if people are happy doing this and it doesn't bother them, then so be it. I just do things differently and have a different mindset. I think it's just being greedy but that's just me. To each their own.

Apologies to everyone. Didn't mean to derail this for sale thread.

EVH

Feb 14, 2014
Mississauga
Sorry but I disagree. Sometimes you get offered more than than you expect and if someone is willing to pay you more, awesome. I say go for it. You are the seller and you have the right to sell it the way you feel fit, be it an auction or a fixed price. If someone jumps in and beats a buyer then too bad. Anti up or move on. It's a sellers market, get used to it.

I understand people wanting to get the most money they can, but if they want more just ask for more in the first place. If someone posts something for sale at X amount then obviously they are saying I would be happy with this amount.

I've read on here people getting screwed out of something because of sellers pitting one potential buyer against the next bumping up the price that they listed it at that they obviously were happy if they got or they wouldn't have posted it at that price in the first place. Do I thinks that's a fair and decent practice, nope; however, if people are happy doing this and it doesn't bother them, then so be it. I just do things differently and have a different mindset. I think it's just being greedy but that's just me. To each their own.

Apologies to everyone. Didn't mean to derail this for sale thread.

ibjeepin

Sep 18, 2013
Toronto
Sorry but I disagree. Sometimes you get offered more than than you expect and if someone is willing to pay you more, awesome. I say go for it. You are the seller and you have the right to sell it the way you feel fit, be it an auction or a fixed price. If someone jumps in and beats a buyer then too bad. Anti up or move on. It's a sellers market, get used to it.

Nah I dont buy it, sorry, there is too much shit going on here. There seems to be a group of buyers who are playing a games here. Offering more then dropping the price once they get there and tell them all the things wrong with it is one simple answer. But the gist is playing into the greed and amorality of sellers.

I have bought many machines off Kijiji and the successfull ones were one's that the seller was not greedy and stood buy their price. I never dickered and was told many times " I have had many offers so I am not going to budge on price" and looking at it all were fair prices based on the condition of the machine, but now its out of control. My suspicions are that this insanity is directly related to a group of buyers / flippers / dealers who dont care the price they pay its at what price they sell which makes them their profit and raises the next price.... A much longer discussion than I can type.

Reactions: websherpa

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
Buying sight unseen, even at a "great deal" can get you burned. It's a risk that some will take and others won't. That's all.

This is pretty much how I have made all my pinball, slot, arcade purchases. Sight unseen, firm offer. If you know what you are doing, then you will know ahead of time what the correct price vs the risk of what can be wrong is. I almost never sold a pin at much, if any profit either - and work always went into them ... there was a time when members here would often pass on their pins to other members at the price they originally paid just to get their buck back out (kinda like playing the pin for free for a year or two) but you don't see that any more.

But then, I stopped buying pins when the prices when stupid for all those young'uns using their mortgage credit to pay the high prices we see today. There will come a time when the market will once again flood and the prices will come down. Unfortunately by that time I likely won't be interested or maybe even around to see it. :-( I miss the good old days of the $500 - $2000 project pin. Good for you Adam!

Reactions: ibjeepin and Menace

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON

Decent people never used to think like this before. Desperate or greedy, but it's putting that before integrity. If I offer something for a price, then that was the price I was happy to receive. If you make a contract with someone to purchase at a set price, then you should honour it so long as the other keeps their end of the deal. Full stop, no exceptions. Unless you're an ass hat. (I am, of course, stating a generalized belief and not singling out anyone in particular with my remark. ;-) - but then again I've been banned before for less. Just ask Sparky.)

Reactions: Menace

stiffler4444

Nov 20, 2012
Crystal Beach, Ontario
Let's all just agree on this....Many people want lots of money (seller). Many of people want lots of pinball machines (buyer). The equation is simple. (Seller) + (buyer) = inflation.

Right and Wrong are two other players in a different equation.

EVH

Feb 14, 2014
Mississauga
Decent people never used to think like this before. Desperate or greedy, but it's putting that before integrity. If I offer something for a price, then that was the price I was happy to receive. If you make a contract with someone to purchase at a set price, then you should honour it so long as the other keeps their end of the deal. Full stop, no exceptions. Unless you're an ass hat. (I am, of course, stating a generalized belief and not singling out anyone in particular with my remark. ;-) - but then again I've been banned before for less. Just ask Sparky.)

Works both ways. I have agreed on a price and the buyer doesn't show up or once shows up tries to dicker the price down. If I agree on a price and say I will hold an item I ask for a non-refundable deposit. If not, it's fair game to whoever comes first and offers the best price. I am so done with the old Oh please hold it for me I will be right over only to find the person ignoring calls and not having the decency to even respond and say they are no longer interested. Verbal agreements are BS and anyone complaining if they put no money down that the seller took more needs to wake up. It's ok to come by and haggle down but if I have 3 people interested in a game I cannot let them haggle up? Seriously? I stills say the seller has the right to do whatever he/she wants. If you put a cash dep. down that is different. Then you have a intent, otherwise I say it's fair game.

I believe in fairness but it's a two way street and I have been screwed over on both sides.

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Websherpa, while you're ideology is based on good morals and values, unfortunately the world doesnt work that way anymore.

And the one thing you have to get by is you're arguing how collectors make friendly deals with eachother, and you want that to be reflected in public sale.

Kijiji is often plagued with both the greedy and the ignorant. While a lot of games have gone through collectors hands, many ads that make it to kijiji are there because the collector chain is done. This leaves that ad out for the public that doesn't know or doesn't care about the machine.

Sometimes a machine comes up at a great price and sometimes at insane inflated prices. You take your chances and that's that.

Everyone works differently too. If you want a machine sight unseen, go for it. However, if you shouwed up to buy it, find its been rotting in a damp basement and the whole game needs a massive rehaul, would you still take it no questions asked? I can imagine you might change your opinion if the wood was soft and many parts subpar.

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
If you want a machine sight unseen, go for it. However, if you showed up to buy it, find its been rotting in a damp basement and the whole game needs a massive re-haul, would you still take it no questions asked? I can imagine you might change your opinion if the wood was soft and many parts subpar.

(Sorry all for the long post, it's in the wrong thread and my last off topic post on this subject.)

Yes I would still take those (those are the machines I most often ended up with as I am a "fixer" more than a "player" or "collector"). But my integrity has a lot to do with it.

I would do enough pre-investigation (even in the time to review posted pics and 5 min conversation) to determine the relative condition of the machine, AND I am an extremely good judge of character. So IF I make the mistake of pledging a guaranteed sight unseen purchase, I take on and accept that risk. I've often sent ahead a deposit on good faith that I might even lose that. If I am unsure, then I will take the risk to loose the deal and ask to see it first. And the only time I would walk away would be if it truly were an outright lie or scam (most common sellers have no idea what condition their machine is in, and many collectors don't either).

Now, interestingly, the times I've ever agreed to purchase at a set price only to have a seller come back to ask more (and it's happened at least twice) was with women selling machines out from underneath their deadbeat (or dead) husbands/boyfriends.

The only time I have backed out of a purchase was due to a change in financial circumstance, and even then I called/emailed ahead to explain the circumstances and say that I would go through with the purchase if the seller didn't want me to back out (although admittedly that was with other collectors and not the public).

To be honest, after the new wave of interest in pinball machines by a younger generation, I stopped ambulance chasing and mostly got machines from other local collectors or operator contacts only. Some of those travelled to the US to get some exceptional deals.

We "old timers" (and I'm on the young side of that) caused our own inflation through the advent of the Internet and forums like this. What has been good for the hobby in expanding interest, stimulating the sale of the last of old operator collections and the availability of new parts has also been what caused the influx of new people with more money, and therefore the inflation we've seen in recent years. It's as simple as that. Where all this money for $6000+ toys (and the greed of sellers) is coming from is beyond me, but obviously I am in the wrong line of work.

I admit that I'm overly disappointed that I'm now priced out of the market. But thankful I was in it for the heyday, and mad as hell (at myself only) that I 1) sold titles like Rollergames (right SpiroAgnew?! lol), Fishtales and WCS94, and 2) didn't jump on the deals being offered on new World Poker Tour and Tron machines (I've always wanted to, but could never quite afford a NIB machine). If I'da known that I'd never be able to afford getting them later, I possibly wouldn't have sold (and that's to own and play them, not to sell them now at more inflated pricing - that's for my surviving spouse or children to do!).

P.S. I don't begrudge anyone's asking price for a pinball, even if it does irk me a bit, you simply have to walk away. But it's the greed and lack of integrity these days that truly gets me.

spikedbat

Aug 31, 2016
Richmond Hill, Ontario

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
I would do enough pre-investigation (even in the time to review posted pics and 5 min conversation) to determine the relative condition of the machine,
This will also be my last response, as it is off-topic to the thread....

You say you do a "pre-investigation" or have a 5 min conversation. That was what my original response about being burned was.

Here is Adams post that I originally replied to:

I paid asking

I got it because I was no nonsense, no questions, no asking for pictures, told him I'd take it as is where is

For the price, why would anyone bother trying to ask questions

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

He clearly says, no questions, no pictures. This is where my comment stems from. As a buyer, you have to choice to forego any pre-knowledge and just buy, which is what Adam did.

All I said was you could be burned that way. If you dont ask, its the risk you choose to take. Unfortunately, I [personally] cannot take that risk. I would like to actually see the game, or at the very least pictures and/or talk to the owner.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
He clearly says, no questions, no pictures. This is where my comment stems from. As a buyer, you have to choice to forego any pre-knowledge and just buy, which is what Adam did..

Right but I still had a good idea of what I was getting into because I've been doing this for so long.

Everyone else was here talking about how the pictures were fake and they couldn't get any details, I was able to recognize the patterns, see the individuality on the pictures and determine the pictures on the ad were of the machines, so I wasn't going in blind, I had enough information to say, "As is, where is, no questions asked" based on the ad alone.

Had the ad been nothing but stock photos I would have ignored it and chalked it up to either a scam, or so badly damage that that pictures would scare anyone away.

Reactions: spiroagnew

Honey Badger

Nov 20, 2012
Ottawa
I agree with Adam and Wayne here. There was a classic Stern on kijiji yesterday morning for $1000 that I have been looking for for a while and was half the price it should have been. I called the number 20 minutes after the ad was posted, spoke to the lady and asked if it was available...she said yes but I have got tons of interest in it. I said I'll take it AS IS NO QUESTIONS ASKED, only problem is I was in Montreal riding roller coasters with my kids so I said I would pick it up Monday morning upon my return. She asked to send a deposit but I couldn't so she said no worries you seem no nonsense so I will hold it for you. Knowing others would probably offer more I took immediate action just in case. A buddy of mine knew I was looking for the title texted me the ad and I said I have already secured it but asked him if he could pay and grab it for me before some asshole goes and offers more after a deal has been struck (I have seen this before). He said no problem, picked it up for me and didn't try to charge me a transport fee and now the pin is sitting in my vehicle as we speak. Moral of the story is had I dicked around and asked questions and wasn't a stand up guy that didn't have friends I could count on, I may not own this pin!