• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

new Stern STAR TREK confirmed! (sort of)

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
So does this mean that Star Trek is going to be the next game, or will Metallica be out first? The next release should be the Ritchie game, right (assuming that it's going in order).

Wonder if this will FINALLY be the game that ups the ante and puts in an LCD.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Nope, Ritchie apparently asked for more time.. so next game is another Borg game (Metallica is the rumour).

I'm hoping it's Metallica... gives me time to save for Star Trek :D

The rumour mill is stating Star Trek will be the FIRST STERN WITH LCD.

Chris Bardon said:
So does this mean that Star Trek is going to be the next game, or will Metallica be out first? The next release should be the Ritchie game, right (assuming that it's going in order).

Wonder if this will FINALLY be the game that ups the ante and puts in an LCD.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Those waiting for LCD will be disappointed. I don't think Stern has any intention of dropping dmd.

And with JJP releasing 1 game every 2 years, there will be no pressure to do so.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
frolic said:
Those waiting for LCD will be disappointed. I don't think Stern has any intention of dropping dmd.

And with JJP releasing 1 game every 2 years, there will be no pressure to do so.

Honestly I'd prefer the Colour DMD over a full on LCD... after playing WoZ, I really don't care for it.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
well, that's the thing, lcd hasn't even been proven to help pinball.

jpop says he thinks he figured out the best way to use lcd, but he patented it, so whenever his games come out, if he did crack the code, no one else can copy it.

So I don't think Stern is going to be messing with their costs by doing it, if there is really no competition.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
frolic said:
jpop says he thinks he figured out the best way to use lcd, but he patented it, so whenever his games come out, if he did crack the code, no one else can copy it.

J-Pop's screen is gonna be part of the PF backboard (think Cirqus Voltaire)

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Well, we knew it was going to be "new Star Trek" but this confirms it is limited to the one movie story line.

I'm actually surprised that the machine is so near completion they are showing it (probably to movie execs). Especially with metallica barely out the door. I guess that bodes well for the project, since it will have several months yet of refinement and coding.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I wanna be a pinball designer.
My boss never brings starfleet babes in for promo shots :(

Is that a full sized LCD screen I see? (Just look above and to the left of the twins :shock: )

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
regular backglass, someone on pinside identified it as this:

Star-Trek-Into-Darkness.jpg

I think Stern will be using regular DMD for years to come. There is just no business reason for them to switch. They also have the most to lose by changing how they do things.

If JJP starts churning out regular releases that Stern sales are being affected, then that will motivate them, but from all reports they're having their best sales in many years with their regular tech.

I can't beat them up too much, they are making inroads with the LEDs, and the color changers are a big deal and do affect they player's experience. So that part is great.