• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Message clean up....

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
Just spit balling here....
Does there really need to be 60 pages to the machines for sale thread?
A little thread cleaning of older 1+ year old posts could free up some space on the server.

Disclaimer: Hey you're looking for suggestions....

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I don't think it will make much impact on the server for space or performance. If you are following the thread weekly you will just be following the most current page anyways.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
I think it's good to keep the history of prices. I also like the ability to search for a game within that one topic and see all of the posts that it's in. Kinda cool

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario
Why don't we just put a year on the thread, and post a new one each year? I think some people's ego like the big thread count number though ... :)

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
thewebexpert said:
Why don't we just put a year on the thread, and post a new one each year? I think some people's ego like the big thread count number though ... :)

Why make things more complicated then it needs to be and set a cut off date to post a new thread for the same topic each year? I've participated on many other forums in the past and seen some threads go over 300,000+ views and over 500+ pages deep over the years. It has nothing to do with ego and more to do with user participation and contribution which I find we have always lacked here.

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
mwong168 said:
thewebexpert said:

Why make things more complicated then it needs to be and set a cut off date to post a new thread for the same topic each year? I've participated on many other forums in the past and seen some threads go over 300,000+ views and over 500+ pages deep over the years. It has nothing to do with ego and more to do with user participation and contribution which I find we have always lacked here.

I've seen other forums hit the million marks as well.

Sometimes its good, sometimes its redundant. hard to say for sure really.