• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

LOTR

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
I have to say this - I don't get it.

I either have dreadful games, tossed in with the occasional really good game where I wind up with multiple multiple-balls (gotta love that), especially since I often equate multiball with sex - a lot of work to get there, and you have to be careful to make it last.

I know it's a really deep game - what am I missing? Am I just not a deep enough person? I love the theme, have read the books and seen the movies multiple times, where as I haven't seen Tron:Legacy but can understand the pin.

hippochrome

Nov 19, 2012
Ottawa
-Each mode is a scene from the movies (written by the lights around the magnet ring), and have nothing to do with the 3 big multiball modes.
-Play the 3 multiball modes (title of each movie written in in front of the flippers) to get to "Destroy the ring mode"...my favortie
-Then there's a bunch of other little games and stuff hidden throughout the game
-Lots and lots of stuff to do!

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
I guess I'm just saying that I'm not finding it to be the awesome pin that everyone seems to be saying it is, and I don't know why.

I really really really want to like it.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
What I enjoy most is the way the theme integrates with how the game plays.

Everything you build sort of walks you through the movie.

Examples like:

When you are working towards fellowship multiball, you have to make all the different shots around the PF to collect each character with their sounds bits going off from the scene from the movie when they formed the fellowship. Also make sure you turn on the directors cut of the rules, that way you will get another small into for the Fellowship multiball where you have to fight the cave troll.

Then comes the Balrog and I love the alternating of hitting the Balrog and then one ramp to send a character across and they also cross in the same order that they did in the movie which I thought was a nice touch.

Then when you finally beat the Balorg and you get "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!" still gives me goosebumps every time, one of the best sound bites in all of pinball IMO.

All of the multiballs play out like that, walking you through the story and once you start all 3 you move onto the destory the ring portion, which is also a great mode, I prefer to have my machine set for 2 balls for DTR. It's a really satisfying shot when you knock the second ball from the ring even though it does fall out from time to time.

The theme integration just works so well.

Each of the modes all play out to the movies.

I haven't even talked about strategy and how to best get everything to work together.

If you like movies there is no reason you shouldn't like the game, just tone down the difficulty on the machine to a point that you can actually accomplish some of the amazing things the game has to offer.

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton
Adam, is DTR default set on 1 ball? When I start DTR I am only playing one ball. Is the rules a little different when on 2 or do you just get a 2-ball multi-ball and same rules? I'm just starting to learn the rules.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
default is on ball.

DTR always starts with one ball, you have to hit 4 shots (Left ramp, inner left loop, Right ramp, Right loop) then shoot the ting. If your game is on 1 ball, DTR will end there and then, if it is set for 2 balls, the first ball will get held in place and a second ball will be launched.

you then need to use the second ball to hit the first ball out of the ring, a very cool feature.

Problem is the magnet has a habit of dropping to ball sometimes so you don't always get the payoff :)

Slam_Tilt said:
Adam, is DTR default set on 1 ball? When I start DTR I am only playing one ball. Is the rules a little different when on 2 or do you just get a 2-ball multi-ball and same rules? I'm just starting to learn the rules.

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Slam_Tilt said:

It's one or two times to destory the ring ... that is the 2 ball DTR having to hit it twice (it is not a multiball you always only have one ball in play)

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
SquidVicious said:
It's one or two times to destory the ring ... that is the 2 ball DTR having to hit it twice (it is not a multiball you always only have one ball in play)

No it is a multiball, if DTR is set for 2 balls, you lock one in the ring and another is launched.

See my attached video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe90cVevUak[/youtube]

Check right at 14:43

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Everything Adam said is bang on. The strategy just brings it to another level and he hasn't even touched on that. You can run a mode during MB, so I try to start a MB that compliments the mode. You have to start the mode first and then go for MB. The ability to run the mode while in MB really ehances the game play.

On mine, I set Two Tower MB difficulty to medium (I think). With this setting, you have to light KEEP for each lock. I found that a big improvement; otherwise you only have to light KEEP and lock the balls. I found I was getting TT MB too often and found it too easy. Did the same on Spiderman. Default is one hit to light lock and lock is then lite. I've set it so you have to hit the target for each lock. Improves the game a ton.

Cheers,
Duane

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Vengeance said:
SquidVicious said:

No it is a multiball, if DTR is set for 2 balls, you lock one in the ring and another is launched.

See my attached video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe90cVevUak[/youtube]

Check right at 14:43

Right but only one is ever in play the other is held and when you knock out the ball the machine goes nuts and then you are back to one ball so I don't know that I'd call it a multiball .. more like a single ball and a locked ball.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
SquidVicious said:
Right but only one is ever in play the other is held and when you knock out the ball the machine goes nuts and then you are back to one ball so I don't know that I'd call it a multiball .. more like a single ball and a locked ball.

Seriously you are going to bust my balls on the semantics of multiball, there are 2 balls on the playfield, and more frequently then not that first ball usually falls out of the magnet, so there are Multiple Balls on the playfield
facepalm.gif

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Vengeance said:
SquidVicious said:

Seriously you are going to bust my balls on the semantics of multiball, there are 2 balls on the playfield, and more frequently then not that first ball usually falls out of the magnet, so there are Multiple Balls on the playfield
facepalm.gif

I could say the same .. when a ball is locked on a playfield (Fireball, Fish Tails etc ...) is that multiball ?? Because that is what is supposed to happen you are meant to have one ball actually doing something and the other in place (unless it falls out of the magnet which is a glitch not part of designed play) .. in my mind that is a pretty weak version of multiball because as soon as you knock the other ball out the game takes away control of the flippers and then resets to one ball (after you get your bonus etc ...) so I'd say semantically you are using the fact that two balls are on the playfield to call it a mutliball at no time should you be playing both unless the system has a fault (ie the ball drops from the magnet before it should)

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
brewmanager said:
I have to say this - I don't get it.

Does this mean you don't want dibs on mine if I ever sell?? :) Heck I have never read the books or seen the movies but the lead up to the modes is pretty cool. Lucky I am more of a feel type player and all the shots on it feel great. I remember the first time I DTR and machine went nuts like Vacation Jackpot on WH20 which I still have yet to experience.

McMean

Nov 14, 2012
Peterborough
This game gives me a boner.

One of the best theme integrations in any DMD imho. Great Multi's, great modes, great sound bites... Can't wait to put a shaker in.

That said, if you don't like 'objective' based pins, this would be one of the worst. You wouldn't really walk up to just play a game and bash the ball around.... you press start and are out to Destroy The Ring.. or if you're a lot better than me, you're looking to get There and Back Again - I'm not even close to that.

Love it!
Daniel

hippochrome

Nov 19, 2012
Ottawa
McMean said:
This game gives me a boner.

One of the best theme integrations in any DMD imho. Great Multi's, great modes, great sound bites... Can't wait to put a shaker in.

That said, if you don't like 'objective' based pins, this would be one of the worst. You wouldn't really walk up to just play a game and bash the ball around.... you press start and are out to Destroy The Ring.. or if you're a lot better than me, you're looking to get There and Back Again - I'm not even close to that.

Love it!
Daniel

I love there and back again! I had it going the other day with Gollum multiball running. Sounded really weird...kinda like a 90's remix, with DJ Gollum