• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Looking for first machine, and some advice!

Chill

Apr 11, 2013
Guelph
I've contacted the seller to ask about condition and possible shipping options.

Is transporting a pin complicated? High risk of damage? I drive a honda, so I'll be borrowing or renting a van/truck if the deal happens.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I would ask for a few close up pics of the playfield and if possible under the playfield and some pics inside of the head with the boards couldn't hurt. Just tell the seller you are coming from Guelph and have to make arrangements to borrow a van and last thing you want to be is disappointed or waste his time.

Transporting a pin is pretty straight forward such as removing the balls, fold head down and place a piece of cardboard to prevent dinging up the side rails, strap the head once folded and remove the leg bolts. I normally remove the back legs first and then stand the machine up and remove the front legs. Optional step is you could shrink wrap your game to protect it from getting scratched up moving up/down stairs. Just take your time and make sure not to hurt yourself or friend helping out.

Chill

Apr 11, 2013
Guelph
The Gold Wings is tentatively sold :cry:

I'll keep looking...thanks to everybody for the help this far!

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
To give you some more perspective or another way to view this hobby because I see some people are mentioning we are advising you on buying "turds" on another forum so don't get discouraged because if you are patient you will find a game you like eventually. So let's say you buy this Arena for $750 and you play it for 6 months and sell it for a loss at $650 on kijiji because you are bored with it and want something different. If you take that $100 loss and spread it over 6 months it basically cost you $16.67/month. Tell me what sort of entertainment that can get you or how many games you can play at a Dave & Busters for that amount of money... not much. Just another optimistic way to look at this great hobby :)

Here is another game that you might want to consider as it is not much more then your $1000 budget which is Cyclone. Just FYI, this machine has been listed on kijiji for a few months and was $1400 last week and I believe started out even higher so the seller might be near his bottom at $1200 but never hurts to ask.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z474824350

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Chill, buy the $800 Wipe-Out here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=734

I've owned this game before and miss it. It's not much to look at but it's VERY fun and it's a DMD game. Also it's a Gottlieb System 3, they're built like TANKS.

$800 + $150 to get it to your home. It's a no-brainer.. heck, I'm thinking of buying it again myself!

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Here is another pin near you Chill, $950 for a Willams Flash. I am sure WARLOCK will you what a great game it is as he owns or owned 3 of them at once :FP: :lol:

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se ... Z474663095

I have played a Wipeout before and it was pretty fun! Check out this video and it has shades of IJ's (POA toy) and even a ball lift too!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=783Rh82_l14[/youtube]

Chill

Apr 11, 2013
Guelph
REVOLUTION said:
Chill, buy the $800 Wipe-Out here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=734

I've owned this game before and miss it. It's not much to look at but it's VERY fun and it's a DMD game. Also it's a Gottlieb System 3, they're built like TANKS.

$800 + $150 to get it to your home. It's a no-brainer.. heck, I'm thinking of buying it again myself!

It looks like that one would be an awesome machine for me... but isn't that a container thread? Not opposed to the idea, I just need to understand the logistics (if it IS a container).

1.What guarantees do I have for condition, that it'll arrive at all, etc.? (No offense to anyone involved, I just don't know...)
2.How do I get in?
3.What's the procedure to arrange payment?
4.Where will it arrive? how do I get it home?

If this can be done, I think I've found a great machine, thanks to you!!! (Please don't steal it out from under me!! :D )

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
Chill said:
1.What guarantees do I have for condition, that it'll arrive at all, etc.? (No offense to anyone involved, I just don't know...)
2.How do I get in?
3.What's the procedure to arrange payment?
4.Where will it arrive? how do I get it home?

Speaking from experience:

1. There is no guarantee on condition per se, but if you have any questions ask Gerry and he'll answer as best as he can. Your game will likely at least need a cleaning. Each game is tested so they do list out what's wrong with the game. Gerry can point you to the pictures. Also post here if you have concerns, most of us know what to look for. System 3 games are known to be the most reliable DMD's ever made. The game WILL arrive, but you'll have to be patient. I bought my 2nd pin from Gerry in Feb. It's just arriving now. :)

2. Send Gerry a PM on here, he'll reply with the details (his English is broken, but he's getting much better!!)

3. Once you've decided to go ahead with the deal, you'll have to send Gerry $800 via Paypal as a GIFT (meaning you pay the Paypal fees)

4. There will likely be a group in the GTA who will arrange delivery of their games from this container to a central location. Get in on that.. it'll be about ~$100. You can either pick it up there or see if anyone else from guelph can help out.

All in all, if Gerry says the game works 100% then I'd say go for it. It will need a cleaning and possibly some new rubbers and bulbs, but that's basic Pinball Ownership 101 and it would be a great place for you to start. :) AND I have spare "ski lift" motor you can have from my previous Wipe Out ownership. It's a $100 motor but I don't need it, so it's yours if you go this route.

Hope that helps!

- B

Chill

Apr 11, 2013
Guelph
It's a big leap of faith for me - but I think it's worth it!!! :)

Hopefully he replies to my DM before it's too late. When is the cutoff - as in, when does the container ship out? I'd hate to miss my shot, and this machine looks fun for a first-timer like me!!

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Chill said:
It's a big leap of faith for me - but I think it's worth it!!! :)

Hopefully he replies to my DM before it's too late. When is the cutoff - as in, when does the container ship out? I'd hate to miss my shot, and this machine looks fun for a first-timer like me!!

Gerry will ship out the container once the minimum number of spots is filled so until then you have time. Unless someone else organizes another container buy and your game happens to get snagged from the list because Gerry isn't the only one who deals with the seller overseas. You should be safe since it is a Gottlieb :lol:

Chill

Apr 11, 2013
Guelph
REVOLUTION said:
There's a gladiator fs on maaca for $1200.. see if he'll take $1k for it. It was supposed to be a Zelda game... :)

Replied to the table on MAACA - Thanks :)

Ok - serious opinion needed here people!

Street Fighter 2 pin - I've never played it, but I'm guessing its one of the few DMD's within my budget. Thoughts? Experiences? Opinions?

Also, I've upped my budget considerations to the $1250ish price point. Flexible, obviously, based on the perfect deal! :)

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
SF2 is a pretty terrible pin...

If you decide to go for the Gladiators, remember there's a group transport arrangement going on for the container pins. You can probably tag on that.

Chill

Apr 11, 2013
Guelph
FYI I've upped my budget to $2000-2500 if the right pin comes along.

Obviously I'm not in a rush, but I'm willing to jump if the right one appears! *fingers crossed*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk