• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

How should I touch up front edge of Backbox

Pinballer

May 16, 2013
Etobicoke
Any suggestions on a relatively easy way to make the front edge of a STTNG Backbox look better. Being the edge of the plywood it has flaked off and cracked. Should I lightly sand it and paint it with acrylic black paint. I could go over it with a sharpie but this does not seem the best way to deal with this. Any detailed suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
If it's the wood that is cracking at all, you'll likely need to fill it with bondo or wood filler then sand / prime / paint. Best to mask everything off and paint the entire front edge to keep it uniform too. As for what to use, I've used the rustoleum sprays in the past with good success for WPC cabs, and if I recall I think it was gloss for the outside and semi for inside.

D

Pinballer

May 16, 2013
Etobicoke
Thanks for the information. I tried to upload a few pictures on two occasions and it does not seem to work. In any case I do not see any wood cracking. I will just sand it down, tape it off and prime and paint with the rustoleum spray paint.

Thank You
Gordon

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario
Image upload tip: Either upload to picassa or an image service and LINK to the image, or upload an image smaller then 5 megs. sorry, this version of php bb does not have a image shrinking upload

Derek

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Hey Gordon.
Doug's description is the right way to do it for sure.

However, depending on the level of damage and the required effect, there are also slightly simpler methods such as paint pens.

If the wood damage can be easily filled with a spot putty or some light bondo, go ahead and do that. You'll have to gauge the necessary material based on the size and location of the damage. This is where pics would have helped a lot.

For example; If the damage is on the hard corner edge you'll want to make sure the material gets good bite so rough up the wood a bit more with a file and definitely use bondo or some epoxy based wood filler, then sand with a block for a nice sharp edge. Anything else will just flake off later.

As for masking and painting, I have found that spray lacquers have a nasty habit of getting under painters tape no matter how well you think you've masked and potentially ruining any side art. I would use a small disposable roller to prime and even paint the final edge. Rustoleum is available in a can and works pretty good. Semi gloss is ideal. Don't overload the roller to avoid runs.

I've also had great results using the paint pens sold by pinrestore.com. I make sure to use the thickest pen and do the entire front edge of the head whether it needs it or not. This will give you a more consistent look.

Hopefully you can shrink your files and show us some progress.

Good luck
Adriano

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
I touched up my Checkpoint cabinet with some hobby paint I have (from my miniature painting hobby).
I used water based paint and I'm not planning on clearing over it as it doesn't match perfectly. In a pinch it can be cleaned off.
I am more concerned with hiding the scratches from casual view. With some time the areas will fade in nice I hope (the white on the checked flag is too white.
I am more than happy to point out what I've done to my machines and ask an honest dollar at the end of the day.

Besides those chips are battle wounds. I just don't want to see some d**kheads name scratched into a cabinet, unless they are the owner.

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Drano, when you say "semi gloss" do you mean just any semi-gloss from Home Depot tinted to match? So a quart sized paint can of Behr's or Glidden?

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
FiftyQuid said:
Drano, when you say "semi gloss" do you mean just any semi-gloss from Home Depot tinted to match? So a quart sized paint can of Behr's or Glidden?

Nope... not house paint.
You want a lacquer. This will be closest to what was originally used. Spray paint is usually a lacquer... but the small cans of Rustoleum you can get from Canadian Tire and other places are usually lacquer as well. This is what I would use if I was going to use a roller. And i would use a very fine nap roller too. The cheap red disposable ones that come with a small plastic tray for $4-$5 are perfect. A thick nap will hold too much paint and cause the same problems with runs and leaks... not to mention a textured look. Never overload the roller with too much paint. A foam roller or thin foam brush will also work.

In any case, spraying is the preferred method if you can get a really good mask (just don't use the green tape; it's too weak).
I'm just offering up other options. If your touch up needed to wrap around to the inside edge of the head cab, for example, I would not use a roller. This only works well for the front edge only.

Pinballer

May 16, 2013
Etobicoke
Thanks for all the input. I tried to upload again and it still hung up even with files less than 1 Mg. I set up a Picasso account and Gmail and uploaded two pictures. Here is the link https://picasaweb.google.com/1174688387 ... 52/Cabinet , hope that works. I probably won't be doing the touch up until a few months from now as I recently picked up a Blackout from Kijiji that is consuming my time.