• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

eBay Sales Summary Update at Boston Pinball

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I think in order to use the ytd figure you need to consider how many have sold ytd and go from there. I would say the avg w/o min/Max is probably your best average as you use all the data without skewing the value too badly by tossing the most pimped out and clapped out examples.

D

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Menace was faster to the short answer. lol - If anyone wants this long one, it is here now. (See AFM YTD @ bottom)

They all tell us different things. Average of price includes everything and all sales of that title as they recorded them from ebay sales. (for last 84 months in the link you posted) One can only hope they are accurate and made no errors. It is an independent survey and update.

Avg w/o max and min gets rid of those super high or super low prices so it is in essence a "more average" average price. (How many items it cuts out though you need to do the math on for a specific game like MM) Take # of units sold in timeframe (-) top and bottom sale $ value and then average them and see if the math works) It gets rid of projects, and the high end over the top redone unit or units essentially.
Average of price or Avg w/o max and min gets you closer to what you may pay for average SS or DMD or EM's etc. Not hot "A" listers perhaps.

That YTD is more accurate for 2012, not the whole period timeframe of a specific game over time. (of 84 months in this example).
In reality "A" list games like MM in above average condition will run you closer to YTD $$$ to purchase. (or maybe more/less for a particular pin)

The ebay prices tell you one example. Always check the timeframe from Boston Pinball. This looks to be very up to date, but sometimes they are quite behind for updating those ebay sales.

You always hope their math includes everything and all games sold. Pick a couple of games and watch ebay prices over the year to see what happens. You note quality, price, location, and as many factors as you care to, and do your own research. Pick a few titles and check their math as well. Lots of work, but you learn a lot. Good exercise. I picked a few pins this year just to watch. I didn't want them, just wanted the stats information. Compare to boston pinball and see how close you are to their numbers.

Hope this helps. For AFM this tells us that 10 units of AFM sold on ebay for an average YTD cost of $7,845 each in 2012. (if the math + numbers are correct and boston pinball has no errors or missing data)

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne
Thanks for the clarification. Considering this is seven years worth of data it makes sense that the average price will be skewed lower because of prices of years past. The only real indicator of where prices are today would be the YTD price.

Not so happy now - AFM may never be a reality. :(

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne
What constitutes an 'A' list game. Is there a definitive list on what's 'A', 'B', 'C', etc list or is it up to individuals preference?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Hammerhead said:
What constitutes an 'A' list game. Is there a definitive list on what's 'A', 'B', 'C', etc list or is it up to individuals preference?

There is no definitive list unfortunately, so the answers you will get vary greatly from person to person. In this context though I would say "A" list games are the more desirable (hence more expensive) games and it all comes down to supply and demand. The easy ones would be AFM, TAF, TZ, MB, MM, CC, CV, TOTAN, TOM, SM (and SMB) etc etc etc. This list has nothing to do with how good they are because that is very subjective, just strictly based on cost and availability.

D

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
I think the only column in the BostonPinball list worth using at all is the 2nd last one ~ YTD. For something that is inflating at the rate that pins are, throwing 7 years of prices into the pot is just not going to give you a realistic average. Even if you throw out the max and min price, that is going to do very little to the avg price of pins that have sold 20+ units.

You can see how, for some pins, the YTD differs drastically from the overall avg, even with the max/min prices tossed out.

Unfortunately, many pins have no YTD data, but if I had to estimate a 2012 pin price based on nothing other than that table, the YTD is where I'd look.

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
playmoball said:
quarter grabber said:
Hammerhead said:

Here is a list of classes:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=What_is_a_Pinball_Machine_Worth?
If someone want to sell me his STTNG C' list for 2000$-3000$ or AFM B' list for 3000$-4000$ let me know.
I was thinking the same thing.

Ill spend $3000 on a Cirqus Voltaire

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
playmoball said:
quarter grabber said:
Hammerhead said:
If someone want to sell me his STTNG C' list for 2000$-3000$ or AFM B' list for 3000$-4000$ let me know.
I was thinking the same thing.

Ill spend $3000 on a Cirqus Voltaire

I don't know, Maybe it's old? Just trying to pay back all the help I've received here. You're right, the prices are low :oops:

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Menace said:
Hammerhead said:

There is no definitive list unfortunately, so the answers you will get vary greatly from person to person. In this context though I would say "A" list games are the more desirable (hence more expensive) games and it all comes down to supply and demand. The easy ones would be AFM, TAF, TZ, MB, MM, CC, CV, TOTAN, TOM, SM (and SMB) etc etc etc. This list has nothing to do with how good they are because that is very subjective, just strictly based on cost and availability.

D

While pinwiki is a good read, the last update to that history was May 29, 2012. Not too old for most things, but archaic for pinball prices and ratings.

Menace has very well described what many of the veterans define as an "A" pin. Not speaking for anyone other than myself, but what is described in the "B" section in pinwiki, many people would define them as all, or mostly "A" pins. The "C" and "D" pins described in pinwiki are in actual fact more like "B' pins. These are mostly Bally/Williams/Midway, and newer Stern pins. (If not all) The "C" and "D" pins are usually DE, Gottlieb etc., but there are exceptions everywhere. Many people consider GNR by DE to be either an "A" or a "B" pin, with few other DE's making it past a "B" or "C" at best.

My list is even broader with what I consider what an "A" or "B' pin is. I used to make the "A" pin list 10 machines. My "A" list of pins is now 25, and price isn't the only factor I would consider. I believe the only "A" pin I have is STTNG. Many consider it a "B" pin, and that is ok too, but it is perhaps not a Top 10 pin in many collectors eyes, (even though it is to me) but it certainly would rank in the Top 25 of many people's lists. It certainly is not a "C" or "D" pin. (except for those people who truly dislike it)

I set my "B" list at 25 pins as well and went on and on until I had formed some independent theory that finally congealed about how to rate all these machines for myself. You have to come up with your own list, and decide over time what works for you.

Ask 50 collectors their opinions. They will tell you. Then ask 50 more, and form your own list and opinions. It worked for me.

I continue to read and pull sources from the internet in as many places for pin prices as I can. It becomes quite fun to look at regional price
differences of the same pin all over North America as it can vary from one state or province to the next, or one town or city to the next.

Seems to all be based on what people used to play when they were younger as a basis, then what they want to play (and buy) after that.

It is even more fun when you start adding in early SS machines, late SS machines and EM's into the "A', "B", "C", "D" lists.
Lots of people know I would gladly take 5 - SS machines over 1 - "A" pin. I have actually done that twice now, just over
several transactions however.

Pick your own trophies.

Fun thread.

Oh, AND "Volley" is still the NEW Volley! (Although I assume that Metallica will be the NEW "Volley" once enough of them are out there)