• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Bulb touching rubber... Is it ok?

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Just re-rubbered my R&B and noticed the new ring in one location is sitting against a bulb.

It isn't pushing it or anything, but there is contact.

Should I be worried?

10qdi5l.jpg

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario
can you not just put a thinner rubber? at the very least I would put in an LED bulb so there is not heat... use the frosted "retro" ones from CoinTakers, otherwise it looks stupid.

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Swapped a 3/4" for the 1 1/4" that was in there....

Seems to be better, no way I could stretch anything smaller on there.

2q09ehc.jpg

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I would probably switch out for an LED because an incandescent can get very hot and probably melt the rubber during longer periods of play. Cointaker also has these mini #44/#47 LED bulbs that are a much lower profile and won't even come close to touching the rubber.

http://shop.cointaker.com/product.sc;js ... ductId=755

I might have a few extra you can have in that is the only bulb giving you issues.

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
mwong168 said:
I would probably switch out for an LED because an incandescent can get very hot and probably melt the rubber during longer periods of play. Cointaker also has these mini #44/#47 LED bulbs that are a much lower profile and won't even come close to touching the rubber.

http://shop.cointaker.com/product.sc;js ... ductId=755

I might have a few extra you can have in that is the only bulb giving you issues.
It is the only one that I have found to be too close... It also doesnt affect game play at all (as it sits under a ramp and wire frame

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
meegis said:
It is the only one that I have found to be too close... It also doesnt affect game play at all (as it sits under a ramp and wire frame

If it doesn't affect game play or make the area of the game too dark I would personally leave the incandescent out. Again you are always welcome to come by and grab an LED off me and play some pins while having a beer.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Your only other option would be to take a small spacer (like the black ones used to hold up plastics) and use it under the playfield to sink the light socket down a bit. You'd have to use a longer screw too, so be careful not to break through the playfield. This will lower the bulb if you are dead set on keeping it incandescent.

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Went to SB to pick up a couple missing rubbers, and got an led while there.

Appreciate the offer mwong, will take you up on playtime, but thought Id grab the bulb today so I can hopefully get it all buttoned up tonight.

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Is that how the ring is supposed to be placed there? What if you put a 3/16 ring on each post? It looks like there is kind of a metal ball guide there, it might work. I'm a noob, but it just looks funny the way it is.

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
bstock said:
Is that how the ring is supposed to be placed there? What if you put a 3/16 ring on each post? It looks like there is kind of a metal ball guide there, it might work. I'm a noob, but it just looks funny the way it is.
You are correct on the first half, and normally I would just use the two rings, but unfortunately the location of that barrier is right at the upper gate, which causes the ball to stop and sit. That ring is in the manual, and will be tremendously nice if the ball never gets stuck there again on launch.

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Ya it was hard to tell with the angle the photograph was at, and having never played the game. It looked like the angles might work out so that the ball would not sit on anything up there with the two rings, but I'll take your word for it that it can get hung up.

On another note, the rubber ring below the one in question doesn't look like it is very tight. Could be just my eyes though. In my opinion in most cases you should use the smallest ring you can reasonably stretch over the distance to get the most bounce and avoid the ring absorbing too much energy. Tighter is always better in my opinion... :shock:

That's just my two cents though.

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
While I agree tighter is always better.... hehehe

The ring below is sufficient. Hard to tell from the picture. It isnt AS stretched as the upper smaller ring, but it sits fine in real life.