• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

The Hobbit Full Playfield Posted by JJP

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
August 14, 2013

Greetings Pinball Fans,

Today we are very excited to release The Hobbit Pinball playfield in its entirety!

Joe Balcer says, "The game is all about Smaug and his extreme interaction with the player. Creating The Hobbit journey with a pinball layout is an awesome challenge that I have totally enjoyed putting together. Can't wait to start shooting a full game!"

Click here to view the complete
Hobbit Pinball Playfield

As a reminder, as of September 1st the price of The Hobbit LE will increase $500 to $8000.00. We ask that you are current on the payment schedule for The Hobbit by 8/31/13. Those who are not current will see a $500 increase in the price of their game after 9/1/13, making their game $8000.

The factory is humming along and pumping out LE WOZ's. We are very happy with current production numbers and are confident those numbers will increase as the months go on.

WOZ Programmer, Keith Johnson visited JJP Headquarters yesterday. Keith along with Ted Estes continue to update WOZ code which is available for download to those people who already have their machines. Every game that leaves the factory is loaded with the most up to date code available at that time.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
I like what I see but I would never pre-pay for a JJP game. I'll just wait for standards to be available.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Gotta say, I like what I'm seeing.
Much cooler layout than WOZ and conducive to some faster gameplay. The alternating FT style ramps look like fun and I wonder how the Smaug dragon toy is gonna play out. Looks like the left wireform circles around it.

And, despite it being a total MM rip-off, I'm always game for some pop up targets.

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Vengeance said:
If you get on pre-order with Playdium you don't have to put down anything, or I didn't have to anyway.

I think most folk had to put 1K down with playdium which is still way better than the payment plan in the states, and to that the price increase for those that haven't ordered and I'd say there is value in the pre-purchase but I understand it's not for everyone.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Chris Bardon said:
Just saw the second movie-lots that could be used in the pin. Wonder if they're able to release more now, like the Smaug toy?

Looks like you're gonna get your wish.
Just got this from JJP via email.

Greetings Pinball Fans,

Today we are allowed to reveal the latest cabinet and backglass artwork creation by Jeff Busch. We are working on the game mechanisms, rules, insert placement, playfield artwork and the interactive Smaug mechanism on the playfield. In the next few weeks we will show more progress on the playfield.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug opened today and we got a sneak preview earlier this week and the movie was Awesome!

Today we host over 200 people at our JJP Factory so in coming days we will post pictures and more on the cabinet artwork.

Be sure to watch The Today Show this Sunday Morning for a story about Pinball !

yada-yada-yada

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
165386-i.jpg

165385-i.jpg

165388-i.jpg

165389-i.jpg

165387-i.jpg

165390-i.jpg

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Yeah, I got the same email maybe 20 mins after posting :) Artwork looks good, but is that final? I remember they made a big deal about the WOZ art having a progression from one side to the other, sort of following the movie's arc This artwork sort of does that starting from the back left, but then seems a little more disjointed as you go around the front. Maybe one more revision to add more from movie 3? Plus, no Smaug on the cabinet?

Also, maybe it's just nitpicking, but I'd rather it just said "The Hobbit" on there, and dropped the "motion picture trilogy", but I'm sure that's a licensing thing.

Anyway, if quality on the WOZ cabs is any indication, this is going to look good in person. Now bring on some playfield art and gameplay details!

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I, for one, am not a fan of these super high realism cab decals. I would at least prefer that they look drawn rather than photographed... and maybe not so busy. Looks like they're missing the kitchen sink; but I can live with it. It's what's inside that counts after all.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Peculiar that they didn't run the dragon along one cabinet side. I don't care if its going to be a toy, he should be on the cab as well.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
New update from JJP the other day with at least a partial whitewood. Not much there yet, but I guess that confirms that those squares on the sketch are actually popups of some kind (probably trolls as has been speculated).

21a.jpg

Pinball news overview here:http://www.pinballnews.com/games/hobbit/index8.html

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
frolic said:
Peculiar that they didn't run the dragon along one cabinet side. I don't care if its going to be a toy, he should be on the cab as well.

What Smaug looks like was a big secret before the release of the 2nd movie, it's likely they weren't allowed to include him in any of the artwork for that reason. They should've waited for the secret to be out before doing the cab art though..