• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Stern Ghostbusters

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
The magnets are the ONLY "sling mechanism" in the Prem/LE models currently. There physically isn't any room for a mechanical sling setup with the location of the magnets and inserts.

D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Watch the video of it in action. I'm sure some people are thinking that some sort of "magnet" is replacing the sling completely. It isn't. It just works in conjunction with the regular sling.

The Pro model has real slings and magnet is a feature on the Premium and LE only. You can see from this under playfield pic there are no sling mechanisms.

c6c989dd57aa141c8f712aa072721c309db10786.png.jpg

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I wonder if the magnet slings will wear these PF's out in the sling area given it will not only be pulling the ball away from the sling but towards the PF at the same time? Hmmmm....

D

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton
I wonder if the magnet slings will wear these PF's out in the sling area given it will not only be pulling the ball away from the sling but towards the PF at the same time? Hmmmm....

D

I think as long as its not locking the ball it should be ok? Although the magnets will add more friction between ball and pf. And we all know Sterns pf aren't robust, thin cc and soft as hell. I think you may be right.

libtech

Nov 14, 2012
Edmonton, AB
I would think they would cause wear especially if it stops the ball, if it just moves it like tz, af it would be fine but if it catches it like in the video, im thinking it would be quite a bit stronger? Look what Ironman etc does to the mag cores and surrounding wood over time since they are strong magnets.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Keep in mind that the reason slingshots even exist is to randomize the ball and make it harder to control. This is just an evolution of that idea to take something that's gotten reasonably predictable, and to make it more interesting. Some will probably bitch that it's too different, but there's some really interesting potential for being able to make things easier or harder, either as a global setting, or per-mode. What if you had a mode where you never knew if the sling was going to fire until the ball came close to it? Or a mode where the slings got turned off completely to give you an easier feed?

I have to suspect that this is at least partly driven by cost though. If the new magnet cores are more reliable (i.e. less potential to mushroom), then magnets here means a couple fewer moving parts to maintain. Wonder if this will become a standard feature?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
LAH and adams family didnt get wear from the magnets

Both of these games were not using the magnest as sling shots, so the amount of use was a LOT less than it will be on GB. Stern also doesn't have the best quality when it comes to their clearcoat, which is what prompted me to think about this in the first place.

D

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Both of these games were not using the magnest as sling shots, so the amount of use was a LOT less than it will be on GB. Stern also doesn't have the best quality when it comes to their clearcoat, which is what prompted me to think about this in the first place.

D

I think the video we saw initially showed behavior that was more similar to Shadow's sanctum lock... and we all know how well Shadow playfields hold up there.

More recent examples of magnets throwing balls would be wolverine/magneto on XM and I think most of those have held up fairly well.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I think the video we saw initially showed behavior that was more similar to Shadow's sanctum lock... and we all know how well Shadow playfields hold up there.

More recent examples of magnets throwing balls would be wolverine/magneto on XM and I think most of those have held up fairly well.

Yep, the only difference with XM is that magnet has the post coming up through the PF if I'm not mistaken? GB will not.

D

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
I think the random factor is a challenge and shouldn't be looked at as 'unfair' randomness.

Like Chris's comment above, slings were meant to randomize and the better players can compensate for that. This just steps it up a notch.

Of course, there will be others who will bitch and moan too.

To each there own.
Cest la vie
Other sayings etc.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Slings kick in a fixed direction. Over time people have learned what to expect depending on how the ball hits the sling and at what angle or speed. They are still somewhat predictable.

If these magnets don't behave in a similar fashion and, instead, are overly radom like The Power on TAF, that is a problem for me. The power can definitely shoot your ball down the drain without any warning or opportunity to save it. That would make it a little too random for my liking.

SuperPinball

Feb 3, 2015
Richmond Hill
Biggest problem for me is that the flippers are further apart than other Sterns. Often I cradle the ball to slow it down and let it ride off the flipper only to have it drain. Normally the ball would make it to the other flipper. Therefore you need to fundamentally change the way you play to accommodate the larger gap between flippers. That and some shots just seem too tight especially 2 of the ramps. Artwork is awesome though. Overall not a bad game and quite feature rich on the pro.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Look what Ironman etc does to the mag cores and surrounding wood over time since they are strong magnets.

This has more to do with how flush your magnet core is sitting relative to the playfield. If your magnet core is sitting just below playfield level then every time the magnet grabs and throws the ball it is hitting the exposed wood lip. You have to be very careful when replacing your magnet core especially if it mushroomed to the point there is no space between it and the playfield. If you try to pull it through the bottom you risk and probably will take a good chunk of the playfield with it. In this case I would recommend removing the assembly below from the magnet core so you can pull it out from above the playfield. One more thing to remember is the magnet core has loc-tite applied to it from factory. The best approach is to use a torch to apply some heat, turn screw driver and re-apply heat as many times as needed.

I also came across an old RGP post that people would take their old or even new magnet cores to a shop to have them flatten the face off and add a 1/32" chamfer to the edge to prevent it mushrooming again.

Biggest problem for me is that the flippers are further apart than other Sterns. Often I cradle the ball to slow it down and let it ride off the flipper only to have it drain. Normally the ball would make it to the other flipper. Therefore you need to fundamentally change the way you play to accommodate the larger gap between flippers. That and some shots just seem too tight especially 2 of the ramps. Artwork is awesome though. Overall not a bad game and quite feature rich on the pro.

It was nice bumping into you and your wife yesterday at SB while I had to do a parts run to get sent out to London through my work for a buddy who just picked up a Williams Grand Prix.

I noticed the wider flipper gap on Ghostbusters as soon as I made my first (of many) bricked shots then watching it go SDTM :rolleyes: When the next ball got fed to the shooter lane I held both flippers up to check the gap and it was noticeably bigger. I walked over to the other Sterns in the showroom to confirm it wasn't just my eyes playing tricks on me. Oddly enough I didn't have any problems or drains from letting the ball ride off the flipper to the other or making the main left ramp. I think the game flows pretty well and the only shot I couldn't make consistently was the right ramp which requires a very clean shot if you want to engage more then 1 of the 3 roll over switches leading up to the one way gate. This is probably the only thing I can find fault for in the Pro and it almost seems like it was added in last minute based on the way the ball flows up and down the ramp. By having one less ramp shot or "feature" on the Pro versus the Premium/LE models wouldn't be the first for Stern. I also wish SB didn't have the volume set so damn low as I couldn't hear much of the music or call outs. The overall artwork package is top notch and up there with Metallica by Dirty Donny. I hope Stern continues to use hand drawn artwork as it gives the game a more personal feel to it over the cold photoshopped stock artwork. If you can't afford to pony up or justify >$10k for a Premium/LE model, I think you will be just as satisfied with the Pro model for less. It is pretty feature rich as SuperPinball mentioned above and I'm surprised that Stern kept the two controlled drop targets. That would have meant more money left in their pockets from Pro sales and another up sell "feature".

JT got asked about the wider flipper gap in a recent Forbes and here was his reply:

I don’t know if it was a conscious effort on me to actually open the flippers up on purpose just to open them up. I felt that the outside drains had, even if they were open, they just ate the ball so much. This way I kind of hoped, I guess, to give you some more adjustments to put on the outside drains. I like the way the games play. When you go down the center it’s just too bad.

There’s also the timing of the game. We do still watch the time. We don’t want the guy to sit on there for ten minutes. But then again, we don’t want them to be done in thirty second either. I guess that’s my style.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Got to try a pro out this weekend at the TOPL tournament, and it seems like a neat machine. Not as complete out of the gate as GOT though:
  • It seems like starting scenes off the skill shot is the way to go, since otherwise you have to hit the GHOST standup (dangerous), then slimer, and then another shot to qualify a mode?
  • Slimer hits are definitely flaky. Sounds like it's a systemic problem.
  • The unlimited time on the skill shot is a little generous. Wonder if that'll change?
  • There's next to nothing lit on the PF once you plunge. Not really obvious what to shoot for-I think the only things that seemed to do anything were the GHOST standup, captive ball, and proton pack targets
  • LOTS of centre drains... Seems like more than on Mustang.
There's more code coming, so no way you can judge now, but it's at least got potential. The game looks great if nothing else.

nics135

Nov 15, 2012
Janetville,ON
I have probably close to 100 plays. Hardest pin I have, at least twice as hard as Iron Man. Very short ball times, any missed shot and it is gone. The magnetic slings might be easiest cause if the pro gets in the slings it more often than not is gone. Slimmer hits are fine now after a few days of breaking game in.

Rules seem good, hard to make a lot of progress due to short ball times. You just get going and ball is gone.

You won't be setting a high score every time on this. Frustration level is very high and any score over 100M seems like an accomplishment.

Highly recommend...very hard but fun and looks great.