• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Stern Ghostbusters

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
12814506_10153970090144244_870338322959791163_n.jpg

Last edited:

kiwi

Dec 27, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Wow.. game "looks" better than I expected. Esp. that backglass
Is that magnet vacuum above slimer??

edit: - Hang on - it looks like slimer is just floating in mid air? magnets?

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Wow.. game "looks" better than I expected. Esp. that backglass
Is that magnet vacuum above slimer??

edit: - Hang on - it looks like slimer is just floating in mid air? magnets?

My guess is there is probably a flasher above slimer or he lowers so you can bash him during certain modes. Kind of like the crane in Junkyard.

maken

Jan 2, 2014
Kitchener
Looks great, I love the artwork style, the packed playfield and the amount of shots.

Premium features sound worthy of the extra cash.

BOO

Aug 9, 2013
Toronto, Canada
If Stern were to have finally and at long last decided to go with a LCD rather then a DMD in one of its machines (yeah, I'm a WOZ owner), this one would've been prime. I wonder if it'll ever happen. 'Dunno. Other than that, 'gotta admit, this certainly is a standout pin!

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton
"But the coolest thing the LE and Premium versions have is something you won’t see in the images or teaser: An interactive holographic projection of famous ghosts to battle. Dankberg describes this feature saying, “We call them the Ecto Goggles, and when peering through the Ecto goggles, you'll be able to shoot various ghosts who are not really there.” Using a reflection trick and an LCD screen, The Librarian, Slimer, and the Scoleri Brothers appear hovering on the playfield. Dankberg continues, “There [is] a sensor switch there that will note you went to it, and it'll change where you hit it and explore or splat or whatever it might be. So, we've put a ghost into a Ghostbusters machine.”

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Wow!!!
I'm usually a critic of Stern's wash-rinse-repeat formula to game design but I am VERY pleasantly surprised.
The Zombie Yeti art is phenomenal.

I have to say I'm seriously considering a premium at this point.
What to sell? What to sell?

But history has taught me to be patient. I will wait for a year or so after release once the code is at least functional :D

Good on Trudeau though. This looks like a winner!

fantasygoat

Apr 19, 2015
Toronto, ON
First Stern I've been interested in since TRON.

Premium is the hot ticket - don't care for the day-glo LE. Still, what's the street price on these from Starburst?

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Any word on who is doing code yet? Couple of other thoughts:
  • Magnetic slings-are these going to work kind of like the idol in RBION? These could really change up the flow of the game, and I wonder if they'd implement something where they become player controlled at some point (kind of like the powerfield magnets)? Interested in seeing how these play.
  • Ramp going under the PF looks neat-can't recall where I've ever seen something like that before.
  • Custom speech from Ernie Hudson is good to see. I figured they'd get Dan Akroyd for it, but I know that Ernie Hudson does a bunch of voice work already, so it might have been simpler to set up?
  • Stern really seems to like these mid-field drop targets lately. Seems to be a pattern in most of their recent releases. Wonder why? Cheap way to change the geometry of the game on the fly?
  • I have a feeling that the ghost hologram is going to be disappointing, kind of like the "laser starfield" in STLE. Not sure how they're going to pull it off in anything but a really small area (like just in that round bit where the "ecto goggles" sign is). It worked in p2k because of the size of the reflection. Looking forward to seeing it in action though.
  • Artwork is good across the board-glad to see that ZombieYeti landed on his feet. Kind of a cross between the style from the recent IDW comics, and the old animated series.
  • LE has a shaker, which is good, but not a green DMD? Figured that'd be a natural choice.
  • LCD later this year...right... just like it was going to be last year?
I'm really looking forward to playing this one, and it already hits the criteria of great theme and artwork, so next thing is to see how the gameplay holds up. I'm sure there's a few coming to Canada though, so we should get a chance soon enough. Looks like mid-april for games showing up?