• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Polk 10" subwoofer on sale for $99 at FutureShop

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Luckydogg420 said:
A coil of wire will work as a passive crossover. Removing the high frequencies. So if you have more then one game running off your sub, there's ways to get only the (really lows) from one game and some (higher lows) from another.

I'd imagine that I would prefer different performance for ac/dc vs daft punk.

It's a little technical but easily accomplished.

This is correct, but one thing to please keep in mind... this is more for when you are working with low level signals. When using amplified signals as your source DO NOT tie multiple games together. You guys currently have a left and right speaker input, and those *should* be isolated inside the sub so you should be ok. Just do not put two different amplified sources together on the same input or BAD things will happen.

D

shinynick

Jan 10, 2013
Georgetown, ON
The $99 subs are a great deal, I picked up a few.

Here's how I use one sub to connect to lots of pins - you have to get the low level line out from the game and feed them to a mixer. I made my own cables and connectors to do this. On modern Sterns its a bit tricky but you can add the header pins from the AOL or AOR pads on the CPU/Sound board and grab ground and connect to an RCA Cable. (Google RGP on how to get low level outs from Williams games) I used a cheap "band" type mixer that has lots of mono RCA inputs with gain/volume controls for each. Then output from that to the low level input on the sub . Adjust each level to suit. Adjust the Low/High Pass filters on the sub so that only the low frequencies are processed by the sub and you're done.

I think I have it hooked up to at least ten pins now and there are 16 inputs on the mixer... when all are being played the bass does muddy up but still works! It is best when only a couple are being played at once though. AC/DC with an external sub sounds great...

Nick

Magneto

Nov 15, 2012
Laval,Que
Thanks frolic for the plug, I was thinking about getting one for a while now and the price is pretty good

it was too late last night to run around town (and too busy) so i ordered one on line with FREE shipping WOW!!! :D

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
can any of the audio guys tell me if there's a problem going from speaker wire to 1/4" connectors?

My mixer takes 1/4 inputs.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
frolic said:
can any of the audio guys tell me if there's a problem going from speaker wire to 1/4" connectors?

My mixer takes 1/4 inputs.

There is no problem physically connecting a 1/4" Tip/Ring to the speaker wire but as Luckydog said, don't plug it into your mixer unless it's a non-amplified source. You would be doing the same you originally did with the RCA input on your sub.

If people don't want to hack around their PCB's tying into the low level section of the audio amp, you could always look into a line-out converter which takes an amplified source and converts it to line level RCA out. These are cheap and would save everyone from hacking into their PCB's.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_401 ... -LC07.html

D

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
I installed mine with the alligator clip method.
Speaker wire out the bottom, very quick and easy.

TRON is rockin with the Shaker + Sub combo.

Too bad the sale is over, I should have bought a second. :FP:

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
So I just tried the exact same install on Metallica and no dice.
Sub was working fine but interfering with the stock speakers causing sound degradation.

Any ideas ?

The one thing the game is missing is a great (or decent) sound system.
Stock speakers sound pretty shitty.

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
Could the speaker gauge have caused my problem with interference?
I was using a cable from my home stereo which is tiny.
This weekend I'll try again with a thicker gauge speaker cable...

Anybody?

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
movingpictures said:
Could the speaker gauge have caused my problem with interference?
I was using a cable from my home stereo which is tiny.
This weekend I'll try again with a thicker gauge speaker cable...

Anybody?

I just used plain 'ole scrap wire for mine on Tron.

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
REVOLUTION said:
I just used plain 'ole scrap wire for mine on Tron.

Yea the thin cable works on tron no problemo.
I hope the issue w Metallica was my human error.
It would suck if stern changed something since tron which could be the problem.
I read on pinside that the newest games have 90% of the sound coming out of the under cab speaker and that this new system blows. Pretty sure tron isn't like that.

Anyway I would love to try the install again right now but am so beyond exhausted from the day.

I think I may even have to play pinball sitting down :(

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
First thing get some decent speaker wire. Nothing smaller then 18 gauge, 16 is better
It could be the new system is not running at 8ohm, that could cause an issue with sound quality. Also the crossover freq might be set to high (does this sub have a built in crossover) and that's why the sound quality is trashy

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
It was the friggin alligator clips!!

I stripped more of the cable and just wrapped it around.
Works like a charm and greatly improves the sound.
Thanks for the help troubleshooting.

I'm still missing some proper mids and highs though.
Think I'll add the full speaker upgrade in the future and put the sub back under tron. :p

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I notice a lot of people using subs for newer (Stern) titles.

Aside from Walt and his WH2O, how many of you have been trying this on onlder B/W games and what is the result?
Any pre DCS sound is pretty crappy and I was just wondering what effect the sub has at the end of the day?

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
DRANO said:
I notice a lot of people using subs for newer (Stern) titles.

Aside from Walt and his WH2O, how many of you have been trying this on onlder B/W games and what is the result?
Any pre DCS sound is pretty crappy and I was just wondering what effect the sub has at the end of the day?

I should have High Speed and Road Show hooked up by the weekend, although my priority is to get Jokerz out...and this Special Forces out of my van. My god, I forgot how heavy that damn thing is. Glad it never made it to my basement.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
brewmanager said:
I should have High Speed and Road Show hooked up by the weekend, although my priority is to get Jokerz out...and this Special Forces out of my van. My god, I forgot how heavy that damn thing is. Glad it never made it to my basement.

I thought BK was the priority?!?! (or is that just MY priority?) Also, did you manage to locate the part needed to fix Ted?

D