• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Polk 10" subwoofer on sale for $99 at FutureShop

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
REVOLUTION said:
Ya but you listen to headphones while you play pins, Adam.. so this doesn't really apply to you. ;)

True, I don't do that as much now, I should start again to try and calm me down :) But yea I've long since memorized every DMD game to a point that I no longer need the audio queues.

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
Vengeance said:
:lol: I always forget how opposite I am on the spectrum from most collectors, I guess it just comes from the volume of games I currently have.

True - once I had all 5 working games going on Friday, you really couldn't pick up the extra bass. But the next morning, with one friend over playing the same games, you really noticed it, and I really notice it when playing alone (whew - almost said by myself).

I'm never gonna have enough games to need a mixer - I'll just add another sub. :)

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
Sold out at my local stores, so I ordered online w/ free delivery.

How does the hook up work direct to Tron?
I'll only be using it for one game.

Disconnect the undercab speaker, and run speaker cable from the sub to where the undercab speaker is hooked up?

Does it need to be soldered ?

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
I'm going to use alligator clips to connect to the cabinet woofer. I generally don't do permanent mods.

I made space to run the wire out of the cabinet by unscrewing the cabinet woofer, making space, then screwing the woofer back.

In the past when I've experimented with this, I just tied the speaker wire around some exposed wire, and even that worked.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
movingpictures said:
Does it need to be soldered ?

I think wires with gator clips and out the back holes in the cab or removing the sub in the cab temporarily to feed underneath. If you don't got a spare set of gator clips you can always solder the wires directly onto the existing sub's tabs which can always be removed.

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
frolic said:
I'm going to use alligator clips to connect to the cabinet woofer. I generally don't do permanent mods.

In the past when I've experimented with this, I just tied the speaker wire around some exposed wire, and even that worked.

Gotcha.

Speaker wire just generally needs to be touching the right place, so permanent soldering isn't really necessary.
I gather this from my experience with home audio.

Thanks guys. I'll report back when the sub arrives next week.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I picked up my sub from the Hwy7/Jane Futureshop, they have 2 more left as of 2pm. The damn enviro fee was like $7 bucks and think they all went up as of today too.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
just hooked mine up. Holy Bass batman! on the Quorra multiball there's a kickdrum along with the synth line, who knew?!

I'll play with the settings more later. All I did was take an old rca cable I had, cut the end off, split the wires and attach them to the cabinet subwoofer with clips and plug into the rca plug on the polk sub.

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Luckydogg420 said:
Be careful if you turn the game up to loud y could blow the sub's inputs. The RCA cable usually only run 600mA I think. So if ya crank the game it could send to much. If the sub has "high level inputs" those would be better to connect to the speaker tabs.

If your connecting an RCA cable, best look for a "line out" before the pinball's amp

I was going to do the RCA cable thing as well. What do you mean by "line out"?

Thanks,
Duane

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Any RCA input is a low level only input, meaning it is only safe to send un-amplified source to this input. By using the speaker wires from the sub in a game you are using a high level (amplified) source. Usually these types of subs have both low and high Z inputs, and in this case this sub does. There are two sets of speaker wire terminals on the lower right of the amp. One is speaker output, one is input. You MUST use the speaker input if using an amplified source from your game or you will absolutely damage the amp/sub. (when that happens will depend on how loud you have the game and the settings you've got dialed in on the sub, and the duration of use)

For those of you that are using the RCA line levels for inputs directly from a games speaker, please reconfigure your setup before you damage your equipment.

D

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
thanks for the tips. This seems easily remedied, just use speaker wire from the game to the sub input instead.

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
frolic said:
thanks for the tips. This seems easily remedied, just use speaker wire from the game to the sub input instead.

Yes, that's what I've done, and it works great and hasn't damaged my equipment.

I hate damaging my equipment. :lol:

tastef

Feb 16, 2013
Quebec city
Do I understand that the sales ends tonight when stores will close, or, that the sale is already "ended on the 2nd of May"??

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
I switched to the speaker wire inputs and the sound is cleaner.

For Tron guys (looks like a lot of us), where do you have your Low Pass set to?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
frolic said:
I switched to the speaker wire inputs and the sound is cleaner.

For Tron guys (looks like a lot of us), where do you have your Low Pass set to?

Chris,

It's a personal preference and is really dependent on the source, room type and size and location of the sub. Rule of thumb is start at 90Hz and adjust accordingly from there.

D