• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Looks like the newest Stern pin is...

libtech

Nov 14, 2012
Edmonton, AB
I think having the ring is quite creative and cool, Id like to play one, but wasnt much of a fan of wwf, wouldnt really want to buy one.

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
The ring is a cool idea, but depending on code (as we know Stern is famous for) I feel like it will be overwhelmingly trapped up there.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
The ring is a cool idea, but depending on code (as we know Stern is famous for) I feel like it will be overwhelmingly trapped up there.

It's also Waison doing the code, and even though X-Men turned out to be good in the end, it took time getting there. Hopefully he does better out of the gate this time around. Honestly though, I'm not sure how much you'll be able to do with this to keep it interesting all the time. The reason something like the powerfield on TZ works so well is that it's only used sparingly. It also helps to have a mode where you have multiple balls in the mini PF, or have to try to juggle it with the main PF. There's a chance for wrestlmania to do this (and fit it into the theme with things like "too many fighters in the ring" or something), but if every shot to one of the ramps goes through that ring (even if the slings are off), then that could slow things down a lot. Think of something like LOTR where every shot went through the POTD.

Anyway, code will be king here, but looking forward to seeing how it turns out. If nothing else, the LE looks neat.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
It's also Waison doing the code, and even though X-Men turned out to be good in the end,

No it didn't :D

Xmen is a generic cookie cutter game with no real point to accomplishing anything other than "reasons"

When games like ACDC or Metallica offer a variety of strategies and choices with real risk vs reward it becomes painfully obvious how deficient Xmen actually is.

Hell for as much as I don't like WOZ there are way more strategic choices in WOZ then in XMen.

Xmen is same old, same old. Might as well be playing Big Buck Hunter, Avengers, or Transformers as they are basically all identical in terms of gameplay.

Last edited:

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
You have more going on in Xmen than in any of those other games. If nothing else, you have opportunities to stack hero/vilain modes, and you can pull those in with the main MB as well. Combos to pull in Deadpool also adds some strategy to the game, since it makes difficult villain modes more attainable, and can make others much more lucrative (Deadpool + Hellfire). Yeah, it's not ACDC complex, but few things are (maybe WOZ...I still have no idea what those horses do). I still haven't made it to either of the wizard modes on it.

Avengers only really has problems because of the hawkeye all day long strategy, right? As far as I know, X-Men doesn't have a similar single exploit for scoring.

BBH...can't even remember it. I just remember that it was usually broken at Playdium.

Compare X-Men to something like whitewater-there you're going for a couple of modes that are worth something (5x multiball, running through whirlpools), but that's really about it. It's also a really fun game at the same time, but there isn't a gigantic amount of strategy to it.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
You have more going on in Xmen than in any of those other games. If nothing else, you have opportunities to stack hero/vilain modes, and you can pull those in with the main MB as well.

Default setting, you can only stack 1 villain with 1 hero, you cannot stack villains and you cannot stack heroes.

You also cannot stack anything with Hellfire or Brotherhood.

Combos to pull in Deadpool also adds some strategy to the game

Explain the strategy to me? Honestly I think Deadpool is stupid. "Hey Everyone here is something so while playing pinball, you don't actually have to play pinball!"

You are going to be making the same shots you are making anyway to acquire deadpool and once you have him, you have no control over how he is used, when he is used, or what he does.

He's just there, that's not strategy, if anything it's the opposite of strategy since it takes control away from the player.

Avengers only really has problems because of the hawkeye all day long strategy, right?

Avengers has problems because its fucking BORING! It's shoot X shot X times to light mode, now shoot X shot X number of times to complete mode

Sound Familiar?

Shoot iceman twice to start mode, shoot ice man again to complete mode
Shoot Storm twice to start mode, shoot storm again to complete mode
Shoot Rouge twice to start mode, shoot rouge again to complete mode

Need I continue?

Compare X-Men to something like whitewater

Oh HEEEELLLLL NO! You did not just compare Xmen to Who20!

First and foremost WH20 came out 20 YEARS AGO! 1993 the year Whitewater came out, 20 years before Xmen. Pinball has evolved significantly since then, Id on't even think the ROMS back then had enough memory to hold something like a LOTR or TSPP.

Second Wh20 does the simplest thing to break up the monotony by each game changing up the shots the advance rafts. So you are never doing the same thing over and over again.

When you use the modes is also important, and how you use them. Do I use my whirlpool to advance rafts or just go after whirlpools. This decision is based on how hard it is to control the kick out from the scoop.

do I use my advance raft now, or wait till I've got a boomerang bend. do I save my spot raft off disaster drop?

Do I shoot the pops and hope for 5x now or do I work toward it for later

Do I play a MB now and another one later or do I wait for 5x and put all my eggs in that one basket

Do I stack hot foot with 5x

None of these kinds of choices exist in Xmen. The difficulty for magneto, wolverine, brotherhood and Hellfire make it so you are really only ever going to play them each once and generally not all in the same game.

Other than Magento there is also very little difference on the when and what you do during them.

You need to compare Apples to Apples. Wh20 is not Xmen, or more fair comparison would be Wh20 to TZ or Wh20 to TAF. They are better representations of games for the era.

Pinball 20 years ago, is not pinball now. the depth of strategy in games now, never existed 20 years ago.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Explain the strategy to me? Honestly I think Deadpool is stupid. "Hey Everyone here is something so while playing pinball, you don't actually have to play pinball!"

You mean like using the lockdown bar button on ACDC to make the next lit shot so you don't have to make it yourself? Or the torpedoes on star trek that score hits on the vengeance?

You can run deadpool along with any villain, so it helps to get to Dark Phoenix. Yes, you can't control whether it starts (just relights after 10 combos), but I've avoided starting a villain mode with DP lit to try to stack it with hellfire or brotherhood if I want to try to get a higher score.

The Villain modes are also more varied than the heroes, which is something that Avengers is missing. Shadow king uses random shots, Sabretooth is left/right PF, The MBs light everything but with the first shot doing extra damage if repeated ( so you can finish a stage in 2 shots instead of 4, possibly with different scoring).

I suppose it depends on how you count strategy. One level is knowing how to shoot what's lit. Another is lighting something and not shooting it until circumstances are better. I'd say both constitute strategy, and both are there in X-Men.

Not denying that the game could be better though. Just about any game could be improved with more code-it's why I wish that they'd open source some of this stuff and let the community take a shot at it. Look at what happened to DESW and the Demoman rewrite.

Pinball 20 years ago, is not pinball now. the depth of strategy in games now, never existed 20 years ago.

Twilight Zone?