• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Looks like the newest Stern pin is...

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Stern Pinball Debuts New SPIKETM Pinball System World’s Leading Maker of Arcade-Quality Pinball Games

Announces Next-Generation Pinball System

MELROSE PARK, IL – January 5, 2015 – Stern Pinball, Inc., the world's oldest and largest producer of arcade-quality pinball machines, announced today that it will debut its newest pinball electronics system, SPIKETM, at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. SPIKETM is a modern, scalable and modular electronics hardware system engineered for the rigors and complexities of pinball applications.

“The modular nature of the system will allow game designers to embrace new technologies to evolve the game of pinball while also improving earnings, reliability, serviceability and efficiency,” said George Gomez, Executive Vice President of Product Development at Stern Pinball.

The new SPIKETM system is based on distributed processor architecture and an industrial grade network protocol. These technologies reduce product complexity and simplify the manufacturing of the game resulting in a more efficient, reliable and easier-to-service game. The system is designed to facilitate integration of various display technologies such as varying size LCD displays both on the playfield and in the backbox. The scalable nature of the system allows for the integration of Wi-Fi and numerous new game specific features and technologies.

Experienced players will recognize a more engaging overall game experience and quickly appreciate the enhanced illumination effects and higher quality sound.

“SPIKE is the latest step in our ongoing program to leverage technological advancements to improve the game for all segments of our customer base,” said Gary Stern, Chairman and CEO of Stern Pinball. “Commercial customers such as operators and location owners will be particularly well served by SPIKE.”
New SPIKETM system benefits and features include:

Improved earnings:

• All LED lighting enables enhanced lighting effects, increases reliability and attracts new players. Included is the florescent light replacement by LED’s, which last longer, run cooler and draw less electricity.
• A new modern CPU and expanded memory allow the designers greater freedom to create new compelling game scenarios to attract more players and lengthen their engagement.
• A more powerful high definition digital sound system enhances the game experience.
Higher reliability
• New built-in automotive-grade circuit protection for LEDs, switches and solenoids reduces circuit failures from accidental shorts and environmental faults.
• Lower game heat reduces stress on components increasing longevity.
Easier serviceability
• Low-cost game modules are easy for any technician to replace and costly circuit board repair is eliminated.
• Reduced wiring complexity eases troubleshooting and worn component replacement.
• Improved system diagnostics make the system easy to learn.
Greater efficiency
• Reduced chances of failure from environmental conditions with robust solenoid, switch and lighting protection circuitry.
• SPIKETM system games use less energy than older models and generate less heat during operation.
• New controllable LED artwork backlighting reduces fade, saves energy and lasts longer.

342587-i.jpg

link: https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/posts/10152976555619244:0

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Ah, the long promised new board system... Looking forward to seeing how this works.

As for the game...we'll see how it plays. Looks pretty sparse from first glance.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Ah, the long promised new board system... Looking forward to seeing how this works.

As for the game...we'll see how it plays. Looks pretty sparse from first glance.

It's not really a new board system, Ben Heck pointed out on pinside:

"Interesting that's the same board they used in The Pin.

It boots Linux off an SD card and runs off a single Atmel ARM. It uses RJ-45 connectors to control solenoids and light sub-boards around the playfield.

Also has [non-populated] HDMI / VGA ports, probably for when they FINALLY take the leap to LCD."

For those who don't know what "The Pin" is:

Pin-Transformers-Full-01a-e1353513880410.jpg

Basically Stern's attempt to making a cheaper and more affordable pinball for the home market.

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton
Looks like there will not be much flow to this game. The ramps lead to the upper section with rollovers where the ball will bounce back and forth, then drops into the ring with more bouncing and then falls to the return rails to the flipper.

Definitely not my type of game.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
So with the new platform, I wonder what that changes with respect to code? Still raw assembly, or does that move things up to C++, or even to a higher level scripting language like Python? If the rules are easier to implement, then you'd think that you could iterate on them faster than before. Hell, if you have integrated controllers on each "module", then I could see a high level API type interface for them whereby you'd be able to have the motherboard send instructions to each module, or receive feedback from them to run the game. I don't think that you'd necessarily do this for each switch on the PF, but for modules/assemblies it could make sense (e.g. a 3 drop bank could fire events for each target, plus accept a reset signal).

dnewman

Oct 29, 2013
Newmarket
I still think my idea for a "Golden Girls" themed pin would have been a better licensed theme than this one.

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Wow I really thought they'd be able to get even more barely clothed men on the cab and playfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Man tons of hate for the game and no one has even played it yet.

I used to love WWE back in the late 80's early 90's and I enjoyed it for what it was back when I watched it (The male soap opera)

This game/theme doesn't seem any better or worse to me then as an example Mustang or BBH.

As always I'll reserve judgement until I actually play the game. The mini PF seems like a unique idea, it seems better then the useless mini PF that is the Ironhide one on TF or the stupid moving ramp on Xmen

Code will as usual make or break this machine. One feature that really look interesting to me was the old school bonus count in the center of the PF. Has been a long, LONG time since bonus has been represented on a PF.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
OK, so it looks like the ramp shots might not always go to the upper PF-it might be able to go right around and come back to the opposite ramp?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
While I'm not a huge wrestling "mark" anymore, from what I see this isn't all that bad. I actually don't mind the layout at this point, but playing it will obviously be the only way to pass judgement. Looking at the vid, I will say I cannot stand how the lower flippers are active while the ball is in the ring PF, and vise versa... With the technology they have now, with the new PCB set or not there is no reason for this.

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
While I'm not a huge wrestling "mark" anymore, from what I see this isn't all that bad. I actually don't mind the layout at this point, but playing it will obviously be the only way to pass judgement. Looking at the vid, I will say I cannot stand how the lower flippers are active while the ball is in the ring PF, and vise versa... With the technology they have now, with the new PCB set or not there is no reason for this.

D

Sure there is, multiball....

I've seen the board for TSPP in action and while it works most of the time, there are times during MB when the flippers don't work when they should.

IMO that is unacceptable so if the solution is to just always leave the flippers active, that is better alternative as far as I'm concerned then losing out on scoring opportunities because the game got confused.