• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Grail found - My first Pin! Long Night!

theyangman

Feb 18, 2016
London, On
Awesome story with the shrink wrap. Congrats on the new pin!
When's pin #2 arriving, and what's it going to be?

Ha ha ha ha, Pin #2 will be some time before spring I think.

I'm leaning heavily towards a Terminator 2 machine. I played the hell out of that as a youngster. I really only want games I have an attachment too directly.

Others on the list are just a bit too pricey for my wallet right now like TAF, STTNG, TOM, & WC94.

I want my first few not to crush my wallet completely.

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Based in that pano photo, you could always put two machines back to back on that framed wall. So basically where the head of the game is now, would be where you stand to play one and the other up against it backwards to fill the space.

jgagnon

Jan 26, 2016
Saguenay
I wouldn't buy a pre-assembled LED kit as it ends up costing you more versus just spending some time writing down the different types of bulbs under and above your playfield. You can also pick your colours and lots of people like to match the LEDs to the colour of the insert to make them pop. I would recommend ordering from Comet Pinball for all your LED needs and their OP-MAX bulbs are great for the GI (general illumination) to really brighten a game up.

View attachment 7627

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/opmax.htm
And what about LED OCD? Do you have a recommendation on that mod?

I'm about to fully LED my TOM and heard that OCD is one of the best mod. So I was about to order one of those.

Thanks [emoji3]

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

theyangman

Feb 18, 2016
London, On
Installed my first mod.

84c7351c41ce53cb48a8c2026eb1253c.jpg

I like him. Time for mirror blades. Any recommendations? I see many different manufacturers of these things. Any personal experiences that prove one to be better than any others?

Sent from my Pixel XXXL

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
And what about LED OCD? Do you have a recommendation on that mod?

I'm about to fully LED my TOM and heard that OCD is one of the best mod. So I was about to order one of those.

Thanks [emoji3]

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
For any game that has fading controlled lamps, the OCD boards are a must have if you plan to convert to LED. Otherwise you end up with a LOT of flickering and it makes the game very difficult to play. You might also want to look into their GI OCD board as well. (I think they offer this one too, can't recall 100% though)

D

Reactions: jgagnon

jgagnon

Jan 26, 2016
Saguenay
For any game that has fading controlled lamps, the OCD boards are a must have if you plan to convert to LED. Otherwise you end up with a LOT of flickering and it makes the game very difficult to play. You might also want to look into their GI OCD board as well. (I think they offer this one too, can't recall 100% though)

D

Indeed, after reading some posts on forums, GI OCD seems to be a must in my situation since TOM use lot of dimming for General Illumination.

~200.00 LEDs
129.00 LED OCD
149.00 GI OCD
--
478 USD means at least 640$ CAD ...

With shipping and customs it's probably an estimated 800$ CAD project o_O

Well .. I'll see. Thanks!

theyangman

Feb 18, 2016
London, On
LED kit almost finished. Went with the advice of the guys here, built my own kit from Comet Pinball with plenty of extra bulbs, and added some strips in the back of the playfield under the lip and as well as in the drain. I missed a few bulbs last night like in the Caster's Club, and I still have to do the back glass and topper, but it really changes the look of the game. So much brighter now, but I am not 100% sold on it. I really like how it makes it look more "modern" for lack of a better word being so much more colorful and bright but it loses some of the charm of the original. I do like how the colored inserts REALLY pop now though, especially the greens and purples. The reds looked decent before and the so did the ambers and yellows but some colors really make it look nice now.

Well, I can always go back, it isn't 100% permanent if I don't like it have a few months it is simple enough to go back to incandescents.

Time to bite the bullet and order a color DMD now. Not sure of any other mods I would want to add after that, though.

Also, I got the chip from Dave to eliminate ghosting, but anyone know where it goes? It is one chip, but there are like a billion on the board and it didn't come with instructions....

15747523_10154816175969326_2583773997689023552_n.jpg

eh97ac

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga
I believe it's 2 chips up from the Square chip on the skinny CPU board. Should be an existing label on that chip.

slacker

Nov 15, 2012
Hamilton Ontario
"I really like how it makes it look more "modern" for lack of a better word being so much more colorful and bright but it loses some of the charm of the original."
Play with the lighting and change out different types and brightness of LED's in the spots you want the incandescent look. It's what you like. I have some of my pins with LEDs only in the backbox and inserts to give it that pop but left the incandescents where I liked the warm glow I could just not find with LED's and yes I tried warm white and all types just like I said its what you like... Have fun!

theyangman

Feb 18, 2016
London, On
Still contemplating where to order my mirror blades from. Now that I have finished most of the tinkering I will be doing under the hood of this machine, I want to get my blades and install em for this game!

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Your game looks great and I would add some spot lights above each slings to light up the middle of the playfield. Here are pics of my Theatre of Magic before and after adding spot lights.

16566669635_962b0e3220_b.jpg

16540644276_4344b4476c_b.jpg

I didn't only add spot lights to my TOM but I also added dual flex head LEDs from Comet under each sling. This way I could aim one flex head up to light up the plastic and the other sideways towards the middle area between the slings. I also added a LED strip by the ball drain area too.

You read up on it here:

http://www.pinballrevolution.com/threads/comet-pinball-additional-game-led-lighting.3133/

theyangman

Feb 18, 2016
London, On
Dammit, I went looking for a 3.50 spot light and ended up with a 113 dollar order from them.... Thanks a lot Mike.....

Sent from my Pixel XXXL

theyangman

Feb 18, 2016
London, On
I had it shipped to my ups box in Port Huron. 13 dollars for 2 day shipping vs 75 dollars to my house and it's probably gonna take two weeks.

Sent from my Pixel XXXL