• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Grail found - My first Pin! Long Night!

theyangman

Feb 18, 2016
London, On
So over the past few months I've been searching for a few machines and I've cast out a few lines here and there on finding the right ones as I am quickly running out of room in the basement and I have to a bit more selective in what I pick up now.

I'm on all the same forums as you guys for the most part, here, KLOV, MAACA, CGCC etc... So I posted up a few weeks ago here about locating a good condition Fish Tales and I got someone who responded somewhat locally! We start talking and finally land on a number and a date to come by and pick up the machine.

He tells me to measure up my suv and I happily oblige but he warns me that the opening is the biggest concern. I'm blinded by the fact that I've secured one of my top 3 pins of all time and sloppily measure and report back it is fine. (This is a key story point)

So I leave London last night a few hours behind schedule but the seller assured me it was fine , after all once the pin is loaded what does he care really right? He goes back inside and goes to bed. I'm the one with the additional 2 hour drive ahead of me. So I arrive at the sellers house in Toronto around 9 he invites me downstairs and I'm immediately floored by his pin collection, I play a few games here and there my g/f is jumping from machine to machine playing them all like a kid in a candy store, I talk to him about a few other machines, we trade a few stories and then he takes me through my particular machine and really gives me a run down on what he did, what to look for, how to do some common repairs and really goes above and beyond at this point. He knows I'm a pin virgin so he really took the time and effort to show me a lot and gave me as many tips as he could in our few short hours. Really an excellent dude, way above and beyond man. Kudos.

Then it's time for the nitty gritty and we need to get this machine disassembled, up the stairs and into my SUV. He calls his son and they get this upstairs, I barely lifted a finger. He probably wants to go to bed and not have me and my gf playing his machines all night on a Tuesday. So he gets the machine upstairs for me and out to the suv. Did I mention it's fucking freezing? Oh well at least it's not snowing right? So we load the game up, start sliding it in, and..... It's too big.

The head is too wide and my opening at the top is curved so it jams at the top of the opening and the slight curve in the roof won't allow the pin to slide in all the way with the head attached (he recommended that we leave the head on for transport, just folded down) i measured the peak, and didn't account for the width so it wasn't going to fit all the way.... We sit and fumble with it for about 20 minutes, when he says hey let's spin it around and see if it goes in any better from the other side. No luck. He even went as far as bringing his pinball lift up out of his basement and outside to try and keep it level while sliding it in.

He then gives me 3 options.

1. I leave the machine and my money and come back another day with a larger vehicle to pick it up. I assure him that's not happening not out of distrust, but I've come this far and at 11:30 I'm not leaving empty handed. Too stubborn for that.

2. He removes the head and we slide it in that way but that will add major time as we have to disassemble the machine and remove a bunch of bolts and wiring. Not really ideal as I don't want to keep this poor guy up for another 30 minutes having to work on this any further. He has done 99.9% of the work up to this point as it is.

3. We load it in as is, strap it in tight, and saran wrap the shit out of my suv.

Well guess what option I chose...

76737df3a0a0b292b2465b8249bbe94f.jpg

222fbf65c6008ff32cf0001bfb788685.jpg

6a0709f0884c59e87bf33262d68565d1.jpg

The girlfriend did not care to join me in my pinball selfie. She wasn't too happy at this point at the prospect of driving two hours home on the highway with the hatch wide open (we did a good job sealing most of it) but damn was it cold still.....)

86e70741683bf45016157dac669ddfc6.jpg

Two chilly hours later I roll into town with my first pinball machine!!!! It's a bit past 2 am and my gf is pretty much over the pinball machine now and regrets tagging along. She hops into bed almost immediately while I go to town unwrapping and unloading the game.

Home safe and sound, albeit slightly cold and deaf from all the snapping and fluttering of the saran wrap blowing in the wind down the 403.

24bac43dafcabde7cc981a57b6418ab6.jpg

6b695c080c024fcb816105ca8687a2e1.jpg

I work in the morning and I have a long 12 hour shift and I'm working off 4 hours of sleep but dammit I am BUSTING! I AM SO FREAKING STOKED!!!! I HAVE A FISH TALES MACHINE!!!!! MY PIN CHERRY HAS BEEN POPPED AND I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!!!! I'm glad I didn't settle for any old pin just to get my fix, I waited and waited and got the exact machine I was after and boy am I a happy guy!

More pics to come once it's downstairs and setup!!!!

Super shootouts to the seller, he is a very excellent guy and would recommend him highly. I didn't post his name or username here as he didn't directly respond to my WTB thread and don't want to shine any light on him out of respect for his privacy. He can chime in if he wants.

He has a few good photos of the wrap job he did for me!

Sent from my Pixel XXXL

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Welcome to the club and you can now cross shrink wrap while hauling a pin off your bucket list :)

7441000728_a26d3d893f_c.jpg

I had to do the same thing many years ago when I picked up my Revenge from Mars in QC. Going there the weather was great but it was raining hard the whole way back so I had to pull over at the first Enroute stop. I had to wrap up the back end so the water would stop funnelling in from the sides since the hatch was tied down. It was a terrible 7 hour drive back but I made it back safely and dry. Anyways, it's a good thing I gave SuperJackpot that extra roll of shrink wrap I had the night before when he came to pick up his dolly as well.

Congrats on your first pin and sure in a few weeks you will be doing the same thing all over again so time to ask your company to invest in a bigger SUV :p

Reactions: theyangman

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I am BUSTING! I AM SO FREAKING STOKED!!!! I HAVE A FISH TALES MACHINE!!!!! MY PIN CHERRY HAS BEEN POPPED AND I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!!!!
I'm glad I was able to be a part of this! First pins are exciting, and with the loading adventure and shrink wrap solution, it's yet another reason you won't forget the evening for a long time.

I *THOUGHT* that FT looked familiar!
Those connector modifications I pointed out, that was Menace! This pin has had the best look it over before I even got it.

Enjoy the game tonight!

Barry

P.S. Don't forget, pinrepair guides, pinballninja.com, Clay's top dvds, all the usual forums, etc. etc. Read up and get familiar with owning and maintaining a pin. I see more in your future :)

theyangman

Feb 18, 2016
London, On
Thanks Barry,

No one knows me here but many of you know him but for those of you who don't, he is a stand up guy and I'm in debt for his services last night. He could have shrugged his shoulders and walked away but he helped come up with a solution to help me get my machine home safe and sound. True enthusiast helping a noobie with his first machine.

Made the nervous ordeal a whole lot smoother.

Thanks again Barry! I'll be back some day for that project once you finish it....

Sent from my Pixel XXXL

dnewman

Oct 29, 2013
Newmarket
Congratulations! Fish Tales is a great game!

I had the same problem loading a machine into an Acura MDX. The opening at the tailgate is a curved arch, with no purpose beyond aesthetics, and really reduces the utility of an SUV.

Post more pics when it's set up!

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Glad it all worked out-enjoy the game! I think most of us have at least a few crazy pin-moving stories, but rest assured that it gets much easier the more times you have to do it.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I love Fish Tales. One of the games I played a ton as a kid in high school.
It's not complex, but it sure is hard as hell. Lots of dangerous shots, hungry outlanes, lightning flippers and a very tough multiball.
I also love the humour and redneck theme. It goes great next to my WH2O too ;)
Just gotta find a way to make that fish more quiet.

Congratulations!

theyangman

Feb 18, 2016
London, On
So being stuck at work with nothing to do leaves me wondering and just researching and reading, what I can do to mod the game.

Any recommendations?

1. Pin blades / mirror blades - These look pretty cool. I like the mirror blades better than the pin blades tho.
2. LED kits? - On the fence about this, I am trying to convince myself not too and leave it original, but the brightness is appealing and makes it more vibrant? But not sure that's the look I want for this game, but it suits the cartoony nature of the game sorta.....
3. Color DMD - REALLY like the idea of this. They are just so bloody expensive....
4. Monster Fish Mod - Barry was nice enough to toss the one that he had in with the machine. Just have to install this guy.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
2. LED kits? - On the fence about this, I am trying to convince myself not too and leave it original, but the brightness is appealing and makes it more vibrant? But not sure that's the look I want for this game, but it suits the cartoony nature of the game sorta.....

I wouldn't buy a pre-assembled LED kit as it ends up costing you more versus just spending some time writing down the different types of bulbs under and above your playfield. You can also pick your colours and lots of people like to match the LEDs to the colour of the insert to make them pop. I would recommend ordering from Comet Pinball for all your LED needs and their OP-MAX bulbs are great for the GI (general illumination) to really brighten a game up.

12-14-2016 3-14-21 PM.png

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/opmax.htm