• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Grail found - My first Pin! Long Night!

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
Congrats on your first pin....and welcome to the addiction.

You couldn't have picked a better person to buy your first pin from. As others have mentioned. Barry's a top notch guy and one of the nicest folks I've met in this hobby.

Reg

theyangman

Feb 18, 2016
London, On
I wouldn't buy a pre-assembled LED kit as it ends up costing you more versus just spending some time writing down the different types of bulbs under and above your playfield. You can also pick your colours and lots of people like to match the LEDs to the colour of the insert to make them pop. I would recommend ordering from Comet Pinball for all your LED needs and their OP-MAX bulbs are great for the GI (general illumination) to really brighten a game up.

View attachment 7627

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/opmax.htm

The simplicity of a pre-built kit is alluring especially if it then just becomes plug and play for me. Remeber I've owned a machine for less than 24 hours here.... lol. While installing LED's is a no brainer,
ColorDMD also does free shipping when you order 3 or more so this would be a perfect excuse to get pin #2 and pin #3 :rolleyes:

To clarify I am seeing two options from the guys at Colordmd. LCD and LED.

What is the more popular option? I cannot for the life of me find a side by side comparison (for any machine) to compare the visuals.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I haven't seen the LED displays in person before, but I think the LCD is more flexible. Seems like the better option for games it fits.

Both are crazy expensive though, and it's a slippery slope where eventually you want to do all your games in them.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I haven't seen the LED displays in person before, but I think the LCD is more flexible. Seems like the better option for games it fits.

Keep in mind with the LED displays you won't have the ability to use the up scaling option or even changing the size (or shape?) of the dots emulated too? Here is a video of what up scaling looks like on TSPP using and LCD display.

I personally prefer the looks of dots over the above but always good to know you have both options down the road.

Reactions: theyangman

theyangman

Feb 18, 2016
London, On
I've seen those "solid" pictures before and hated them. I prefer the dots all the way.

So if I understand this properly the LCD can do both? But the led can only do one?

End if the day if the LCD can do both then that's the one I'll buy.

Sent from my Pixel XXXL

tkaye

Mar 17, 2013
Ancaster, On
Congrats on you first and clearly not your last pin! Barry is one of the best and I also had the pleasure of meeting him early on when I started collecting. Very knowledgeable and willing to help and share! Enjoy your first game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I've seen those "solid" pictures before and hated them. I prefer the dots all the way.

So if I understand this properly the LCD can do both? But the led can only do one?

End if the day if the LCD can do both then that's the one I'll buy.

Sent from my Pixel XXXL

Correct. The LCD can do both, the LED version can only do dots.

D

Paul Renaud

Jun 3, 2016
OTTAWA
Congrats on the new game! I remember my first one.Fast forward 16 months, the first one has been sold and replaced and now there are 3!
I do not imagine this is the last late night your girlfriend will have to endure involving pinball machines...

kvoxx

Dec 2, 2014
Toronto
Congrats on your first pin. Barry is a awesome guy! Love the Shrink wrap car! Things we do for the hobby and the great adventures we share =)

theyangman

Feb 18, 2016
London, On
I think it will be the reverse. I'll be doing the color DMD first, and then LEDs if I can get them into my head that I really want them. They look ok, and they add a lot of pop to the machine but I'm not sure that's 100% the look I want yet...

Ugh why does our dollar suck so bad right now.... A 400 dollar DMD is like well over 500 cad after the exchange and shipping....

Sent from my Pixel XXXL

theyangman

Feb 18, 2016
London, On
Machine is downstairs, up and running. Hurt my back moving it downstairs on my own but it was worth it!

Girlfriend is doing some quality control inspections on the machine, lol.

2801343102fedbf6242f60bda113ca1a.jpg

Fits in the corner of my arcade just nicely!

Sent from my Pixel XXXL

theyangman

Feb 18, 2016
London, On
It's actually a piece of fabric that covers my basement window. Ghetto curtain.

There is no room to the side however. I have the first of four Sega super GT sit-down racers there.

Sent from my Pixel XXXL

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
It's actually a piece of fabric that covers my basement window. Ghetto curtain.

There is no room to the side however. I have the first of four Sega super GT sit-down racers there.

Sent from my Pixel XXXL
Where there's a will, there's a way ;)