• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Building a Dream

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
This is the plan:

autocad-jpg.2784

So that is 74 machines. I'm going with the assumption those will all be DMD's (which they wont) so 5 per 15 amp is my standard.

I'm really hoping that perhaps I can upgrade my home service and then piggy back off my home, as I know getting a new line from the pole is MUCH more expensive.

But these are conversations I need to start having with an electrician, especially since I'm going to be doing allot of excavation I'd like the electrician involved so if he can get his trenching done at the same time, I think that makes the most sense.

I've also gotta think about the Furnace, lighting, maybe some window AC depending on how hot it gets in there. So yea no plans at all to cheap out on the electrical.

The only cheaping out I plan to do is by running all the outlets myself and doing the manual labor. Then get the electrician to hook it all up and install the panel.

Doug, shoot me a text with the contact info and I can call those electricians.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Ok, I'll hopefully get you some contacts today/tomorrow.

Given your calculations you'll need a 240A service JUST for the pins. Toss in an A/C unit and lightning, you're going to be up to 300A easy. I would be very surprised if your existing home service can handle a sub-panel that size!

D

SuperPinball

Feb 3, 2015
Richmond Hill
You will need to get the trench done to the structure from the pole and have Hydro One bring the line and conduit from pole to structure. If your electrician does it, they will make you rip it out so their boys can do it. Believe me I found out the hard way. They refused to hook to pole until I did so.:mad:

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Wasn't sure I was allowed to take pictures so it was a quick pic.

But that was easy, APPROVED! Just need to add some ease troughs.

SuperPinball

Feb 3, 2015
Richmond Hill
My electrician pointed out that the pins are averaging 8A each. With 74 pins you will be drawing 592A. Add AC and lights and you are easily over 600A. Usually you want to be at 80% of maximum so that would mean 800A service. LED's would greatly reduce the draw to maybe 3- 4 pins per 20A circuit. I have tried 5 pins/20A circuit but blew the fuse on the panel.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Really? I've had 5 games going on a 15A breaker for ages, and it's been fine so far, even when they're all being played at once. I don't think I've ever managed to trip a breaker while playing.

5 DMD on a 15amp circuit is generally considered to be on the top end; but I'm no electrician.
When I renovated the basement and set up the game room I ran 5 dedicated 20amp lines. Of course one of those lines is for a small section of EMs so I am way overboard on that one, but I was told I would be safe at 5 games per circuit on the 20amp. Sadly I can't even fit enough games in the basement to test that capacity :(
I'm probably at 4 games per... but I guess I'd rather be covered than have issues down the road that would involve breaking into walls or reducing my game count.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
My electrician pointed out that the pins are averaging 8A each. With 74 pins you will be drawing 592A. Add AC and lights and you are easily over 600A. Usually you want to be at 80% of maximum so that would mean 800A service. LED's would greatly reduce the draw to maybe 3- 4 pins per 20A circuit. I have tried 5 pins/20A circuit but blew the fuse on the panel.

Yea, your electrician must be taking you for a ride....

I've had 6 DMD machines on a 15 amp circuit, for league, all of them going at the same time and never tripped the circuit. Not saying that is ideal, but if they were drawing anywhere near 8amps that would have been impossible.

8 amps is the MAX draw of a pinball machine, if you check the flyers for the games it says 8 AMPS, but that is every flasher, every coil, and every light firing at the same time to get that kind of peek.

I'm planning for 4 - 5 machines per 15 AMP circuit, I'm not doing AC, and the lights will just be florescent fixtures so not a huge draw, the furnace will need a 20 AMP breaker all it's own. So I figure a 300 - 350amp service should be sufficient.

SuperPinball

Feb 3, 2015
Richmond Hill
Really? I've had 5 games going on a 15A breaker for ages, and it's been fine so far, even when they're all being played at once. I don't think I've ever managed to trip a breaker while playing.

First time it happened Luch, DNewman, Meegis and Frolic were over. I was stunned when it happened. We were all playing at once and it tripped the breaker. Mind you a plasma tv was also on same breaker. Electrician was over last night and recommended no more than 3 on a 15A breaker. He is putting in a few dedicated lines.

dnewman

Oct 29, 2013
Newmarket
Mike, there must be something else on that circuit you're using... It tripped on us several times that night.

I've got 5 games plugged into one outlet (on a powerbar obviously), and 2 others plugged into other outlets nearby (I'll have to check if they are on the same circuit today). I've never had the breaker go.

Adam, I hope you are putting ceiling fans in the building if you aren't doing A/C! That building is going to be oppressively hot in the summer months with all those people and all the games running! Keep the progress reports coming!

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Adam, I hope you are putting ceiling fans in the building if you aren't doing A/C! That building is going to be oppressively hot in the summer months with all those people and all the games running! Keep the progress reports coming!

No plans for fans, just garage doors open on both ends for a cross breeze.