• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Building a Dream

necro_nemesis

Nov 20, 2012
Newmarket, Ontario. Canada
Vengeance said:
Sweet, that mean your offering transportation services daily back an forth for me as well Glen? :)

What's wrong with the one being provided?

wile_e_coyote-thumb-560x421-169101.jpg

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
So another year gone, and finally something to report!

I've been back on this project for the last month but didn't want to post anything till it was finally concrete. Tried of starting and stopping this thread :)

So without further adieu:

Signed contact with Viking building for 1 30x65 (1960 sq feet) building, which should in theory fit this many pinballs:

Breaking ground in Spring 2015, next steps, town for permits and then the ministry for approvals, should have word back on that in a few weeks.

Looking forward to the project, lots of stuff to do, will keep everyone updated as I get more info!

Attachments

• Pic.jpg
    Pic.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 113
  • AutoCad.jpg
    AutoCad.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 373

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Looking good-so 70 or so games in the barn, plus whatever ends up in the "annex" that'll inevitably be the current basement space :)

Now the only problem is going to be filling up that room. Once this is paid for, be prepared for Adam to start buying just about everything.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Chris Bardon said:
Now the only problem is going to be filling up that room. Once this is paid for, be prepared for Adam to start buying just about everything.

Well that is a long way out, I'm already over budget and this doesn't cover:

Permits
Grading
Tree Removal
Electrical
Insulation
Heating

So while the building will actually be finished in early 2015, getting it actually functional I could see taking into 2016 depending on money.

But that does bring up a good point, something I was going to ask from the community when I posted this but forgot.

This is something I could really need everyone's help with, DON'T SELL ME ANY GAMES! I've clearly got a problem, and until this building is actually finished and inhabitable I can't be splitting my resources between it and buying more machines.

So until I post an all done message here, Don't offer me any games, and in my moments of weakness don't sell me any games when I come asking to buy them :lol:

luch

Nov 18, 2012
Newmarket
www.topl.ca
I promise not to sell you a game , no matter how much over value you offer ! Enjoy the ride . Here's hoping all things go to plan and on budget .

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
We can help you (temporarily) fill that building with pins once completed.
Then, you don't have to buy anything at all, just worry about constructing it.
Hopefully, you can then host the world if and when it is possible in 2016 or 2017.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
So already moving forward.

Zig at Viking building called me and let me know we are good to go as far as the city is concerned. The bylaws in my area state for an "Accessory Building" you must be:

15M from the front of the property line (No Problem)
9M from the back of the Property Line (No Problem)
3M from the sides of property, this is the only one that would change things a bit as we were only 4 ft off the property line when we did the initial mesaurements, so I'll have to move more into my property, but no big deal
It has to be no larger than 10% of my entire lot size (No Problem)
And this is an important one, more than 15M away from a watersource. So the creek in my backyard I'm well more than 15 M away so as far as the town is concerned I'm fine.
and there is no height restriction at all.

That being the town said before we even apply for a permit we need to speak with the Lake Simcoe Conservation Authority, so that is the next step, we will see what they have to say.

But the great thing about all of the above is that I don't have to worry about the added risk and cost of applying for a By-Law variance with the town, the building will meet all existing town By-Laws so I'm good to go as far as the town is concerned.

Next hurdle will be the Conservation Authority.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Well today is why I'm glad I went with this company. The company is called Viking Building and its owned by a guy named Zig. The selling point that really sold me on using Zig was that he was going to take care of everything, drawing,s permits, problems, everything. Now we've run into our first problem.

The conservation authority is denying my claim to build the building without some serious modifications worst of those:

Openings / flood vents are to be installed along the side walls to allow the through-flow of flood waters from east to west. (Really would hinder my ability to insulate the garage if it had open holes in it)

There are alternatives:

1. Relocate the garage entirely or partially outside of the regulatory floodplain (Which can't happen with how large it is)
2. Provide a hydraulic study completed by a qualified consultant showing that the proposed works will not impact flood velocities and/or levels. (Which I'm sure will cost me an arm and a leg)

At this point, Zig feels confident that just having a face to face meeting with the conservation authority might be enough to push this through. In his experience most of these government run things are always busy so it's easier to just look at something and push it back on say a Hydraulic study so they don't actually have to make any of the decisions. He thinks that if he offers some push back in person, they may cave and let us do what we want.

So we'll have to see, but I'm really glad he is handling it as I would never have the free time to chase my tail on this one, but thankfully that is what I'm paying him to do :)

So we'll see how it goes.

kevin the 1984 kid

Nov 16, 2012
Niagara
"the first ever World Championship to take place in Canada, and then I'm also planning for this to be the new home of the annual Canadian Pinball Championship."

Yes!!!!! we need something like this in Ontario! I was at the starburst store yesterday talking to the parts department, They where saying there not going to be hosting tournaments anymore just release party's. I just started to participate in tournaments in the last couple of years, I would go to shows but never mess around with the tournaments, now It's the thing I look forward to.

Good for you homie, this sounds amazing....I'm jealous! :D I will make the 2-3 hrs drive on opening night. :cool:

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Thanks for the kind words Kevin, I haven't even thought about opening day, seems so far away :) I'm still trying to come up with a name :p

Meeting is today with the conservation authority, so we'll see what happens.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
So unfortunately Zig wasn't able to sweet talk the conservation authority, he said dealing with them was pretty reasonable though, they were not trying to be dicks about the process and were willing to work with him, but they have their regulations they have to follow, and that's their job, so it is what it is.

That being said there are options.

The flood vents are not one of them, Zig isn't sure how he would implement them and he doesn't think they are a good idea anyway and I agree.

The said he we relocate the building 30ft forward on my property they see no issues at all at that point, but it would mean a redesign of the structure as 30 feet forward means we are right next to my house, so I will have to make the building more Narrow and I can't go further back to make up the difference so the square footage would go down which I'm not happy with.

We could get the hydraulic survey done but ball park price range is $5,000 and that doesn't even guarantee they will rule in our favor, I could spend 5K and still be in the exact same position I'm in now.

The ideal solution is one where we modify the flood plain, and this is the one we are investigating at this point. The conservation authority said their main issue is the amount of fill we have to bring in for the building. There thought process is that in the event of a flood, because of all the extra fill it will take longer for the waters to recede since we will be restricting water flow.

But we can do a 1:1 switch, for every lb of fill we bring in, we can remove a lb of fill from somewhere else on my property. This way the flood plain is unaffected. Zig is working with the company I had my topographical survey done with the figure out how much fill will need to be removed in order to accommodate this.

So some road blocks at this point, but options are available to us, so continuing to move forward, it's why I started the process now anyway so we can deal with these issues and ideally be ready to break ground in the spring.

stiffler4444

Nov 20, 2012
Crystal Beach, Ontario
Let's see, best way to offset the fill would be...........the addition of a "moat"!!! Who hasn't secretly wanted a outbuilding full of pinballs surrounded by a moat and secured by a drawbridge. :cool: Totally doable..........

kevin the 1984 kid

Nov 16, 2012
Niagara
Vengeance said:
Thanks for the kind words Kevin, I haven't even thought about opening day, seems so far away :) I'm still trying to come up with a name :p

Call it the Pinball Mansion :cool:

Attachments

• hef1.jpg
    hef1.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 40