• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Building a Dream

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
The wheels of progress move slowly

Nothing really to report just lots of back and forth with the Lake Simcoe conservation Authority

Attachments

• 6004A.pdf
    75.8 KB · Views: 20

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Damn red tape! We want our PAPA North!

I'm ok with it, it's moving they seem reasonable, and I was thinking about it the other day I appreciate that they exist.

They way I think of it is this, I know my area floods, it's never been bad enough to get to where the building is going, but every spring I get lake front property for about a week.

Now if the conservation authority didn't exist, then someone, down stream from me, could build something that could disrupt the way the water recedes, and then I could have much bigger problems on my hands. So all they are trying to to is ensure the people up stream from me don't run into an issue because of me, and I can appreciate that.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Any updates Adam? I came across this thread on pinside about using a shipping container as a game room.

373431-i.jpg

373484-i.jpg

IMAG1246-1024x579.jpg

IMAG1249-1024x579.jpg

Actually a friend of mine has a sister who designs these if you are interested I can put you in touch with her to get you an idea on pricing.

http://www.bigsteelboxstructures.com

Maybe you can get her to design you one of these to go next to your game room :)

373793.jpg

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Still going back and fourth with the town.

Right now the bone of contention is the fill being brought in to level the ground for the concrete pad.

The authority is saying for every lb of fill brought in we need to take a pound of fill out somewhere else on my land to compensate. They also want it marked out on the survey with the elevations before and after.

Problem is when I had the survey done I only had them survey the area where the building was going not my entire property since that would have been really expensive.

So now I'm waiting on the surveyors to come back out and complete the survey. I have a hill on my property I'm more then happy to be rid of so that is where the land will be comming from.

Thanks for the offer Wong but I'll stick with a normal building :) Even if I were to go the shipping container route I'd still have to go through this process since I would need to level the land for the container to sit on it.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Some more progress, the survey has completed, I have all the elevations, the calculations have been completed on how much fill has to come out and how much will be coming in this should be the final hurdle for the conservation authority.

It should all be submitted this week and then ideally approved.

building.jpg

Next step is to apply for a variance with the city. As you can see in the drawing the building is going to cut into my existing fence line since I have to be 9 feet of the property line.

So I plan to go to the city and ask for a variance to let me get closer to the property line on the grounds that the conservation authority made me more forward 20 feet to meet their requirements and so that I'll be building on slightly higher elevations meaning less fill in and out, so less modification to the flood plain.

Zig Viking thinks that is pretty good grounds for getting a variance and even if my neighbors were to protest it would still go through.

I need to finish the variance form and then submit to hopefully get an early May meeting date.

Once that is complete, I can FINALLY start construction....hopefully.

Reactions: atariaction

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
It's funny to go back and look at this thread and think I actually started down this road in 2012 :picard:

Anyway, still working through the slow progress.

Today's update is I went down to the Town of Georgina and submitted my application for a Minor Variance, that was expensive! $1000 just to ask if I can move something closer to my property line.

But the application is in, my meeting at this point is scheduled July 13th which means they will start circulating my information in early June after they have verified all the details on the application.

So we will see how that goes.

Still going back and forth with the Conservation Authority Zig thinks we are at end of job with them, he thinks we may finally have everything they are asking for, so approval should be soon, hopefully, maybe, possibly, perhaps, eventually?

Anyway it will get done, eventually, but word to the wise, don't buy a house on a flood plain if you want to build anything :D

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Congrats! Been a long time coming eh?

I noticed that under the "for the" section is claims it's for an unheated garage... you are planning to heat this sucker right?

More importantly, when do you plan to break ground??!!

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Congrats! Been a long time coming eh?

I noticed that under the "for the" section is claims it's for an unheated garage... you are planning to heat this sucker right?

More importantly, when do you plan to break ground??!!

D

Fucking understatement of the century! :D

Yea it will be heated for sure, but essentially in terms of the construction and what I will get final approval on it will be unheated. So the insulation, electrical and heating will all be added AFTER lake Simcoe signs off on the construction.

It is looking like break ground will happen in Aug.

This was the first major hurdle, next is the variance my meeting is July 6th I've got a good argument so I feel like the variance will be approved but even if it doesn't get approved I can still get a building permit without the variance as I meet all the other requirements.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I know a few, and one of them I think lives up your way.

I'm still a few months off, but I figured I'd like to get an idea of what needs to be done.

I don't know if I'm going to be able to run off the house or have to get a new line from the street. I'm thinking I need a 200amp service out there, although if I look at the math:

5 machines per 15 amps I can get 13, 15 amp circuits out of a 200amp service, that only gets me to 63 machines and I'm hoping to fit closer to 80 I think.

Or am I wrong in my math?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Yeah, you'll have to talk to an electrican to verify, but I think your math isn't far off. My guess is you will likely need your own transformer in the new building and that will likely feed multiple service panels to accomodate all of the games you want to house there. Either way you won't likely be taking power from the house, but directly from the pole ont the street or tapping into the pole on your house. (if you have a pole and it'sn not underground)

D

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I guess the best question to ask yourself is this... Are you going to design this thing around all 80 games being DMD power spec's to ensure you are 100% sure you have enough power? Or are you going to skimp and try and make it work by load balancing each circuit with 2 DMD's and 3-4 SS games?

The reason I ask is it would be smarter, and cheaper in the long run to plan for the max capacity now vs skimping on the power reqirements and hoping and praying you can make everything work the way you want. (only to realize once you're done that you need more power)

If the plan is to have 80 games in the space, I can't see the cost being prohibitivly more expensive to plan on those 80 games around the DMD power spec's. Better to have more power than you need than not enough....

D